The Knight And The Gnostic

Go to CruxDreams.com
Your imperfect Latin proves you're a heretic, Perfecta Barb! ;)
Perfectix????:oops:
Female doctor = doctorix in Latin? Female director in French is directrice, from directrix in Latin? I do not want to be a grammatical zealote, I am rather wondering.

Ooopsie on both counts ... :doh:
So, don't bother, about my remark here. The story is very well written!:clapping:

Anyway, did the Cathars have any opinion on reincarnation? What with Lord de Flebas and all...
Bernard of Clairvaux's biographer and other sources accuse some Cathars of Arianism,[30][31] and some scholars see Cathar Christology as having traces of earlier Arian roots.[32][33] According to some of their contemporary enemies Cathars did not accept the Trinitarian understanding of Jesus, but considered him the human form of an angel similar to Docetic Christology.[34] Zoé Oldenbourg(2000) compared the Cathars to "Western Buddhists" because she considered that their view of the doctrine of "resurrection" taught by Jesus was, in fact, similar to the Buddhist doctrine of reincarnation.[35] The Cathars taught that to regain angelic status one had to renounce the material self completely. Until one was prepared to do so, he/she would be stuck in a cycle of reincarnation, condemned to live on the corrupt Earth.

From wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism

Perfectix????:oops:
Female doctor = doctorix in Latin? Female director in French is directrice, from directrix in Latin? I do not want to be a grammatical zealote, I am rather wondering.
Perfecta is feminine nominative singular of the past participle (passive) of perficio - so, 'a perfected female'
There could be a word 'perfectrix', which would be the feminine form of perfector (which is on record, e.g. in Cicero),
but she would be one who perfects, makes perfect, not one who is perfected. :cool:
(Sorry for de-threading, Barb :spank:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism

Cathars thought human spirits were the genderless spirits of angels trapped within the physical creation of the evil god, cursed to be reincarnated until the Cathar faithful achieved salvation through a ritual called the consolamentum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolamentum

Consolamentum, known as heretication to its Christian opponents, was the unique sacrament of the Cathars.[1] In common with Christianity, Cathars believed in original sin, and, like Gnostics, believed temporal pleasure to be sinful or unwise. The process of living thus inevitably incurred 'regret' that required 'consolation' to move nearer to God or to approach heaven. It occurred only twice in a lifetime: upon confirmation in the faith and upon impending death. It was available to both men and women who made a commitment to the faith.[2] Following the ceremony the consoled individual became a "Cathar Perfect".

Perfecta is feminine nominative singular of the past participle (passive) of perficio - so, 'a perfected female'
There could be a word 'perfectrix', which would be the feminine form of perfector (which is on record, e.g. in Cicero),
but she would be one who perfects, makes perfect, not one who is perfected. :cool:
(Sorry for de-threading, Barb :spank:)

Not at all... I will get it right in the next 34 episodes (that's how many we have in the can!), and you can use your celestial moderator powers to mend the error of my ways in the past episodes.

I submit to your expertise.:)
I know a female doctor, thinking she was a doctora in Latin. She was annoyed when she learned it was doctorix. Sounded too much like 'Asterix' for her.
Sorry to get off thread too, Phlebas and Barb. :spank:

Back
Top Bottom