Death And The Maiden

Go to CruxDreams.com
A very fascinating group, Madiosi, interesting me enough to try to track down the artists -
#1 Death and the Maiden - Elna Borch - Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek Copenhagen
#2 Richard Avedon (May 15, 1923 – October 1, 2004) American fashion and portrait photographer.
#3 Alejandro DeCinti Oyarzún Chilean-Italian painter, established now in Spain
The other two I can't find, #4 must be somewhere in north Europe with a seagull or pigeon problem :p

#4 Rolf Brem (1976) Der Tod und das Mädchen, Stans, Switzerland
View attachment 394451 View attachment 394452
anyway one thing I notice about a lot of the images, that show Death with his trademark implement... most of the artists don't really know what a proper scythe looks like ;)
never mind how to hold and use one - clumsy bugger, Death! (sorry Jollyrei, no offence... :eek:)

English scythe.jpg

Two woman-saints from the West of England were beheaded with scythes - St Sidwell and St Urith -
I've never been able to think how they could have been, except if they were buried up to their necks like that!

Okay, thanks Madiosi, I like a challenge - especially one where I have to dance with Death! :devil:

#1 I've found this version youre-killing-me-skeleton-on-a-couch.jpg :D

#2 I did actually recognise, it's by Marianne Stokes: marianne stokes.jpg

##3 and 4 are bookplates - different names on them - but they allude to the 1st and 3rd movements of Schubert's quartet 14

#5 frustrating to track down, it's all over the internet, but I eventually chased it to the Staglieno Cemetery in Genoa

Okay, thanks Madiosi, I like a challenge - especially one where I have to dance with Death! :devil:

#1 I've found this version View attachment 394684 :D

#2 I did actually recognise, it's by Marianne Stokes: View attachment 394685

##3 and 4 are bookplates - different names on them - but they allude to the 1st and 3rd movements of Schubert's quartet 14

#5 frustrating to track down, it's all over the internet, but I eventually chased it to the Staglieno Cemetery in Genoa
Clever and wise Eulalia! I think all and #5 is right. Giulio Monteverde, Monumento Celle/Danza Macabra

:D
Scythes as weapons of battle -- or instruments of execution -- are a questionable proposal, expert says...
Oh, and that bit about feet falling off in the end, it can't happen. Says barefoot scything beginner ;)
The video is correct...
Except that he's using a modern scythe.
In the Middle Ages, producing that ergonomically curved handle would have taken a great deal of effort. Bending wood like that isn't quick or easy. And, making a thin, light blade that didn't break would have been quite a challenge for the village blacksmith. The quality of iron and tools available to him, would have made a heavier blade much easier and far more reliable. And, the blade would have been wrought-iron. High carbon steel would be way too expensive.
Based on illustrations, it appears that the Medieval scythe had a straight handle and the angle of the blade varied from parallel to perpendicular.
Modern artist are coping the work of earlier artists who may have been depicting the scythes used in their region.
164075758.jpg MEDscythe.jpg f0a84aba5f18614fdb2ed54e7ce625c0.jpg 3995293403_4f062952cc_z.jpg 3959846935_d97a2c4460.jpg

Back
Top Bottom