How Would Your Mass Crucifixion Stand Out from The Rest (Such as The Appian Way)?

Go to CruxDreams.com
I would prefer that onlookers be held back. I think a seething, raucously jeering crowd, held back by a thin and hard-pressed line of soldiers or guards, adds to the terror of those hanging from their crosses, who would be glancing anxiously at one another and then back at the crowd.
My 'ideal' crowd is not a jeering bunch. A few tens, not with a sympathising attitude towards the condemned, but they come first of all for watching the spectacle, or for being curious, like occasional passers by, or for 'taking notice' of the execution, satisfied that justice is done. Their mocking, their comments, their looks, tell already enough. They make clear that they are on the good side, and the condemned are cast out. Even if they had been friends or relatives before. They stroll around the crosses, scrutinising and commenting every single condemned. The latter can really feel the lustful and humiliating scrutinising. For the onlookers, the crucifixion is a pary, a social gathering.

Hmm... I don't think I have the brutal temperament to match some of those above. I always prefer to resolve matters with minimal bloodshed. But let's give it a go.

Let's say that a certain city betrays and defies my empire, and even kills some of my loved ones. I might give them one chance to surrender all those involved for trial and submit the city, or every man and woman in the place will be crucified. Or I might just skip the offer and declare that straight out.

In either case, when the defiant city fell, those within who didn't kill themselves and weren't slaughtered by my troops would be bound and horded into temporary pens. Normally this would be when the slavers would come to take their catch - but in this case, they would hold back at first, while carpenters built a wall of crosses. After that is done (it might take a week or so), the adults would be dragged out a few at a time and nailed up. The crosses would range all around the city - a monument to the fate of those who defied me. Those who displeased me in future would be banished or imprisoned there, so the sight of them would remind them of the foolishness of betraying me.

You mean, not in a straight line, but curved, the condemned facing inward?
Apologies for the really late reply. I actually was not notified of your reply to me for some reason. Believe me, my manners are of a way better standard than to ignore a reply to me. (At least I try to achieve that!!) And my reply is: Actually, no. Straight rows, two of them, facing each other. Every victim has a male and a female either side of them and face a crucified victim of the opposite gender. At each end is a victim also. The pattern of each side is: M F F M M F F, etc. Does that explain it better?

Apologies for the really late reply. I actually was not notified of your reply to me for some reason. Believe me, my manners are of a way better standard than to ignore a reply to me. (At least I try to achieve that!!) And my reply is: Actually, no. Straight rows, two of them, facing each other. Every victim has a male and a female either side of them and face a crucified victim of the opposite gender. At each end is a victim also. The pattern of each side is: M F F M M F F, etc. Does that explain it better?
No problem with the late reply. Thanks for explaining.

Back
Top Bottom