Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Fifty years ago, on February 4th 1974, Patricia Hearst, daughter of publishing magnate Randolph Hearst, was kidnapped in Berkeley, Cf. by an obscure leftish organization, the Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA).

Two months later, SLA released a message in which Hearst declared- to have joined the organization. On April 17th, she took part in an armed bank robbery by SLA and later on in other violent actions. On May 17th , the SLA leadership was killed in a police action, resulting in their hideout being completely burned down.

Hearst remained fugitive until she got arrested in September 1975. Convicted to 35 years for her crimes, in appeal reduced to 7 years. She was released in 1979, after serving 22 months, and ultimately pardoned.

Hearst’s case has always been a debate between her having been brainwashed, or having voluntarily joined the SLA.

Fifty years ago, on February 4th 1974, Patricia Hearst, daughter of publishing magnate Randolph Hearst, was kidnapped in Berkeley, Cf. by an obscure leftish organization, the Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA).

Two months later, SLA released a message in which Hearst declared- to have joined the organization. On April 17th, she took part in an armed bank robbery by SLA and later on in other violent actions. On May 17th , the SLA leadership was killed in a police action, resulting in their hideout being completely burned down.

Hearst remained fugitive until she got arrested in September 1975. Convicted to 35 years for her crimes, in appeal reduced to 7 years. She was released in 1979, after serving 22 months, and ultimately pardoned.

Hearst’s case has always been a debate between her having been brainwashed, or having voluntarily joined the SLA.
I remember that episode quite well, and it was well before the 'Stockholm Syndrome' became recognized. The people who prosecuted her likely had never been a totally helpless captive with a gun to their head, and thus in no position to judge. If I had been on that jury I would have given her the benefit of the doubt as far as being brainwashed.

And the Symbionese STILL haven't been liberated!!!

Symbionese, 'according to the group's manifesto, “taken from the word symbiosis … a body of dissimilar bodies and organisms living in deep and loving harmony …'

Those were the days, when even loony leftish paramilitaries were literate! :D
Actually, I think that definition suits us here at CruxForums - well, most of the time!

Symbionese, 'according to the group's manifesto, “taken from the word symbiosis … a body of dissimilar bodies and organisms living in deep and loving harmony …'
With weapons and explosives to make sure everyone else lives in deep and loving harmony too. :buenrollo:

Those were the days, when even loony leftish paramilitaries were literate! :D
Actually, I think that definition suits us here at CruxForums - well, most of the time!
Yeah, sounds about right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom