Missing Members - any news?

Go to CruxDreams.com
I'm Back!
In case any of you noticed I was gone.
As many of you know, on Oct 9 Hurricane Milton (what an embarrassing name) slammed into the west coast of Florida as a Cat 3 storm at Siesta Key south of Tampa. As some of you know, I live in Tampa. We are not in an evacuation zone and rode out the storm. Our house suffered no serious damage, but a pine tree in our back yard - which is was older than this house that was built in 1947 - fell over into the the yard of the house behind us. That house wasn't hit and there's no one living in it anyway. However, the tree fell across the power-lines taking out the whole block. So, from about 10:30 pm Wednesday 10/9 till 11:20 am Wednesday 10/16, we had no power and therefore no internet (and other things like air conditioning and refrigerators). After taking care of other things that needed to be done - like throwing out about $800 worth of spoiled food and getting a hot shower - I am finally back.
Electrical workers for all over the US and Canada came to help restore power to the over 3 million people who lost power during the storm. The crew that got our lights back on were from Minnesota.

I'm Back!
As many of you know, on Oct 9 Hurricane Milton (what an embarrassing name) slammed into the west coast of Florida as a Cat 3 storm at Siesta Key south of Tampa. As some of you know, I live in Tampa. We are not in an evacuation zone and rode out the storm. Our house suffered no serious damage, but a pine tree in our back yard - which is was older than this house that was built in 1947 - fell over into the the yard of the house behind us. That house wasn't hit and there's no one living in it anyway. However, the tree fell across the power-lines taking out the whole block. So, from about 10:30 pm Wednesday 10/9 till 11:20 am Wednesday 10/16, we had no power and therefore no internet (and other things like air conditioning and refrigerators). After taking care of other things that needed to be done - like throwing out about $800 worth of spoiled food and getting a hot shower - I am finally back.
Electrical workers for all over the US and Canada came to help restore power to the over 3 million people who lost power during the storm. The crew that got our lights back on were from Minnesota.
Glad you're back, Milton was terrible

I'm Back!
It's fortunate that the worst damage has been repaired. Today, we can't survive without electricity and water supplies. A portable generator wouldn't help for long either, because if there's no electricity, there's no gas station either.

I'm Back!
Glad to see you back!

I'm Back!
Good that you are back! Most important is, that you came out unharmed!

The crew that got our lights back on were from Minnesota.
You had your electricity refixed by @Barbaria1 !? :eek: :facepalm:

I think 3dfranco has left us...
look at the date of his last post, plus I can't contact him in any way...for two and a half months now...
Yes, his latest posts, July 23, definitely indicate he was expecting to still be active here on CF - a sudden and unexplained disappearance.

It's fortunate that the worst damage has been repaired. Today, we can't survive without electricity and water supplies. A portable generator wouldn't help for long either, because if there's no electricity, there's no gas station either.
It is amazing (and a little disturbing) how dependent we are on electricity today. And for about five days, any gas station that had fuel and working pumps had a long line.
Good that you are back! Most important is, that you came out unharmed!

You had your electricity refixed by @Barbaria1 !? :eek: :facepalm:
No, the workers were all male. But they may have been her cousins.
Barb, are any of your relatives a tall man (I think about 6'3") in his 30's with a Fu Manchu mustache?

Barb, are any of your relatives a tall man (I think about 6'3") in his 30's with a Fu Manchu mustache?

Sounds like the start of a potential story

Sounds like the start of a potential story
Minnesota is struck by a severe blizzard, causing electricity outages.
Fortunately, repair crews arrive from all over the USA.
In front of the @Barbaria1 Moore house, a white van stops. Three tall men step out.
"At last", Barb thinks, "they will miss me already a week on CF!"
She opens the door.
"Hi, Lady," one of the men, sporting a Fu Manchu moustache, says, "we are from Arkansas and come to fix your power! Can we come in?" :eek:

It is amazing (and a little disturbing) how dependent we are on electricity today. And for about five days, any gas station that had fuel and working pumps had a long line.

I recall a book (about Augustine, I think) referring to ancient slaves as "the electricity of the ancient world". Electricity is definitely cheaper than slaves.

Not a lot, where I am! And slaves don't get outages when the wind blows (well, if they do, they earn a whipping - if Scottish Power executives were whipped at the post, that might improve their performance! :devil2: )

Back
Top Bottom