Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
From what I remember is they made fun of Nixon as well as the war and that pissed off Johnson and those were driving forces behind it.
1967 through 1970 ('68 was probably the worst) were not happy times in this country, and literally everyone was affected in one way or another. The Smothers Bros. and other celebs poked the hornets nest over the Vietnam war and paid the price for it. It was typical of the times, and the deep divide in this country now reminds of those times when everyone seemed to be at each others throats over something. I actually felt fortunate not hearing about it every day while in Southeast Asia and then Germany for 2 years. Somewhere along the way people in this country have come to believe that anyone with a different opinion is a mortal enemy.... again. It makes me very sad that we haven't learned anything in the last 50 years.

1967 through 1970 ('68 was probably the worst) were not happy times in this country, and literally everyone was affected in one way or another. The Smothers Bros. and other celebs poked the hornets nest over the Vietnam war and paid the price for it. It was typical of the times, and the deep divide in this country now reminds of those times when everyone seemed to be at each others throats over something. I actually felt fortunate not hearing about it every day while in Southeast Asia and then Germany for 2 years. Somewhere along the way people in this country have come to believe that anyone with a different opinion is a mortal enemy.... again. It makes me very sad that we haven't learned anything in the last 50 years.
Was an odd time to be a youngster in for sure but I was a bit too young to realize the full effects of what was happening until later.
My favorite things about 67/68 were the Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs
Those were peak years for most automotive design, IMHO.
But it’s an unfortunate truism that the more things change…

Was an odd time to be a youngster in for sure but I was a bit too young to realize the full effects of what was happening until later.
Those were peak years for most automotive design, IMHO.
I would agree, and add 1970 as well. At least for the muscle cars.

But it’s an unfortunate truism that the more things change…
Yes indeed.

They started as real folk musicians but their banter between songs was more popular than their music so they became a comedy act.
Their father, Major Thomas B Smothers Jr, died while a POW of the Japanese during WWII.
I. Had. Never. Seen. That. One. Before. :risas3:

Major Mike Sadler, a pioneer of His Majesty's Special Air Services in 1942 in the Libyan desert., at 103. He was a navigator of great courage and talent. Apparently there is a current BBC show based on this book (I only know what I read in the New York Times).
Ben Macintyre, the author of “Rogue Heroes: The History of the SAS, Britain’s Secret Special Forces Unit That Sabotaged the Nazis and Changed the Nature of War” (2016), wrote that Mr. Sadler’s remarkable skills in desert navigation were as much art as science, especially because his celestial observations had to be taken on uneven desert terrain.

Back
Top Bottom