Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
I very nearly posted this earlier but thought better of it :D

Seriously though the Wurzels are great fun, especially live
Apparently Melanie did pretty well out of her share of the takings for the combine harvester version!

I feel old hearing of her passing. Here she is with a full gospel choir, The Edwin Hawkins Singers doing her anthem , Lay Down, which she composed after her performance at Woodstock (no, Stan Goldman didn't make it there, sadly)...

It's kind of weird seeing the audience in the Netherlands at what seems to be some TV program. A bunch of older people, the men wearing suits and ties. Not at all like Woodstock.

I just heard the news today, and it feels sad to realise how few of my favourite musicians from that period are still alive today.

And I feel Melanie Safka is such a singer who shows why I love music from that time. We have so many talented vocalists today, both professionals and amateurs, who dominate the talent shows and social media. And anyone can record much better-sounding songs at home today than what professional sound engineers could back in the day.

But when I watch that video, what strikes me is not some impeccable vocal skills or pristine production value. It was a period when many musicians sincerely believed they could and were changing the world to be a better place with their music. Her voice is teeming with such sincerity and raw energy that can convey her genuine feelings to anyone who listens to her sing.

If she debuted today, she probably wouldn't be able to make her name known as a musician because her unsophisticated singing skills and unassuming appearance would bury her songs deep down in the sea of videos on YouTube or TikTok, all showcasing "amazing talents".

I don't intend to belittle those who have vocal skills or the technical improvements made in the music production business in the past half a century. But I can't help but think that at least some very important parts of the music we had back in Melanie's days have become all but extinct today, just like how most musicians from that period have left us one by one.

RIP

Back
Top Bottom