Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
View attachment 1029108
Jivan Gasparyan, an Armenian musician and composer, an outstanding master of playing the duduk, has died.

"It is with deep pain that I write about my great loss. May God rest your soul in heaven, " Gasparyan Jr. wrote. The maestro died at the age of 93. The cause of his death was not disclosed.

Jivan Gasparyan was born on October 12, 1928 in the village of Sulak, Armenian SSR. At the age of six, he began to play the duduk independently. Subsequently, he became one of the most famous performers of music on this instrument. He was the author of soundtracks for many Hollywood films, including: "The Last Temptation of Christ", "Gladiator", "The Da Vinci Code", "The Chronicles of Narnia" and others.

In 1978, Gasparyan was awarded the title of "People's Artist of the Armenian SSR". He was also the winner of the American Golden Globe Award, worked with such famous musicians as Lionel Richie, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Hans Zimmer, Brian May. In recent years, the performer has lived in the United States.

I know his name was mentioned on the forum, I'm also a fan of his duduk.

Jovenel Moïse, president of Haiti, has been assassinated in his home. At this time, nobody seems to know who carried out the killing (So the garbage media will undoubtedly be blaming Trump before the day is out, as this seems to be the default go-to in the absence of actual information :( )

One of his nicknames was "The Silver Zipper." One of his more memorable quotes:

He could not be beaten or sunk by scandal, he said, unless he was “caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy.”

Venerable Dad was an age mate and lifelong supporter. My Lady interviewed him numerous times as a Baton Rouge reporter in the late 70’s and early 80’s, and reports that he was very nice to her and her parents. I met him once, briefly, in her company.

When he ran against Ku Klux Klan/white supremacist David Duke in 1991 this bumper sticker was ubiquitous:

C5C4C4A1-01BD-4A04-BE9B-59514A9B8F5B.jpeg

I’ll let the New York Times fill in the rest. :rolleyes:

This kind of murder - with a famous investigative journalist most probably as a victim of an international drug cartel - was and is still very unusual in the center of Europe, ...

The Royal Family of the Netherlands was also deeply shocked when this attack on him was in the news during their visit to Germany:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.15_16h19m19s_001_.jpg

... and I hope the European states will do everything to protect such brave journalists from criminal murderers so that this will never happen again in our highly civilized countries in the center of Europe. We Europeans all have to fight together against drug cartels and we do not want to see situations like in Mexico or Colombia:

Last edited:
British comedian Tom O'Connor dies aged 81. Tom was a genuinely funny man on tv for many years and, unlike many comedians of the era, his humour always came across as natural and unforced.

Christian Boltanski, 1944-2021, conceptual artist.

I just remarked that my most preferred cultural French-German TV channel ARTE broadcasts this evening very interesting movies and also pays tribute to Christian Boltanski at "23:55 Uhr" (= German time description, you would probably write 11:55 p.m. "European continental time" or 10:55 p.m GMT ?) :

But the movie about Florence Foster Jenkins in 45 minutes is certainly the highlight this evening ... although there is at "0:15 Uhr" Elvis Presley playing in 1960 in a German nightclub and I have never seen this movie before. Oooooh, I love ARTE !

Forgive the esoteric ramblings of a former Physicist. When I was in college in the late sixties, pretending to learn
Physics, there was a great buzz around the community of new work being done on the weak force. To recap simply(?),

Newton first identified the gravitational force and it was systematized into modern field mathematics by Einstein in his General Theory of Relativity.
The Electromagnetic forces were similarly lain out by Ørsted (Danish). and Faraday (English) and systematized by the Scottish mathematician James Clerk Maxwell into a field theory.
A first theory of weak interaction was put forward in 1934 by the Italian physicist Fermi and came to represent the third field
A fourth field, the strong interaction keeps protons and neutrons together in the nucleus.
These four forces are universals that determine how the universe behaves. It was the dream of Einstein to come up with a "Unified Field Theory," that could explain the four forces with a single set of mathematics.

In 1979, the Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to Professor Sheldon L. Glashow, Harvard University, USA, Professor Abdus Salam, International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Italy and Imperial College, Great Britain, and Professor Steven Weinberg, Harvard University, USA for their work in producing a theory, later confirmed by experiment, that unified the weak and the electromagnetic field theories. I can tell you that to the general scientific community in the late 60s that seemed impossible.

To illustrate the importance of the weak force (of which most have never heard) the specific strength of this force enables and regulates the speed of the thermonuclear fires in the center of the sun. If it were 10% weaker, the sun would never have ignited and earth would be a cold, icy planet. If it were 15% stronger, The sun would have burned a thousand times hotter, incinerated the earth, and burned out millions of years ago.

Salam. a Pakistani, died in 1996. Weinberg died this week at age 88. The passing of a genius.

Last edited:
Yesterday died one of the most famous German photographers with 95 years. Franz Christian Gundlach was well-known for decades by people interested in fashion and portrait photography.
At first, he wanted to become an architect but he could not afford the studies, so he tried photography but he was told in his school for arts he would not have enough talent.
Before he was thrown out, he made one really good picture and he could stay in his school. He was the only one from his school years who made an international career and photographed persons like Cary Grant or Romy Schneider or made modern fashion photos in front of historical & ancient buildings:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.26_10h40m29s_004_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.26_10h35m59s_002_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2021.07.26_10h35m24s_001_.jpg

RIP Dusty Hill - legendary bass player of ZZ Top died 27th July 2021 aged 72

German and Indian news stations - a strange combination, I know, but it seems to be true, because Germany is still very interested in things happening there after the Western coalition retreated their and also our troops - seemed to have reported almost simultaneously about the death of a famous Afghan comedian who was famous in that country and especially around Kandahar, where he lived.

He often played a role like a "silly" court jester, but asking very intelligent and satirical questions about the future of his country.

According to our German news, his killing sent shockwaves through Afghanistan because it shows that - at least - the most local commanders of the Taliban are as brutal criminals and the same religious fanatic terrorists as they were in 2001 before they were driven out of their most strongholds.

At first, the Taliban leaders denied that their men were responsible, because the normal Afghans really loved this man and the Taliban received the worst reactions from normal Afghans they could imagine. Later they admitted, their men were responsible but they would probably punish them who were responsible for the cruel killing.

In the first video, he is obviously taken away by young Taliban in a car, making probably his last joke about their silly clothings, then he is being beaten by one of them.

News from India:

News from Germany:

The second and last video seems to be too cruel to be shown by any civilized TV station in our world and it is only commented, because Khasha Zwan was hanging in a tree from his arms, his throat was cut.

The war in Afghanistan will go on - now again as a kind of "civil war" - and it will be possibly more cruel than ever before.
More refugees from Afghanistan are to be expected again.

German and Indian news stations - a strange combination, I know, but it seems to be true, because Germany is still very interested in things happening there after the Western coalition retreated their and also our troops - seemed to have reported almost simultaneously about the death of a famous Afghan comedian who was famous in that country and especially around Kandahar, where he lived.

He often played a role like a "silly" court jester, but asking very intelligent and satirical questions about the future of his country.

According to our German news, his killing sent shockwaves through Afghanistan because it shows that - at least - the most local commanders of the Taliban are as brutal criminals and the same religious fanatic terrorists as they were in 2001 before they were driven out of their most strongholds.

At first, the Taliban leaders denied that their men were responsible, because the normal Afghans really loved this man and the Taliban received the worst reactions from normal Afghans they could imagine. Later they admitted, their men were responsible but they would probably punish them who were responsible for the cruel killing.

In the first video, he is obviously taken away by young Taliban in a car, making probably his last joke about their silly clothings, then he is being beaten by one of them.

News from India:

News from Germany:

The second and last video seems to be too cruel to be shown by any civilized TV station in our world and it is only commented, because Khasha Zwan was hanging in a tree from his arms, his throat was cut.

The war in Afghanistan will go on - now again as a kind of "civil war" - and it will be possibly more cruel than ever before.
I've not seen that reported in UK. BBC has been carrying reports from a contact in Kabul, but I don't think he's mentioned this atrocity.

News from India:

News from Germany:

It is worth noting that the United States did indeed botch this, but there is a question of whether anyone could succeed. The country has been at war for so long and has built up so much animosity that only an effort and occupation like those of the Second World War could possibly change things. That said, the real villain is Pakistan. They have been playing the "Great Game" in Afghanistan for years to counter India. The Indian-Pakistani conflict is the real problem. Without that, the stakes would be much smaller and the arms much less potent. The Taliban are simply a group of religious gangsters who use Islam to cover their own greed and lust for power--it reminds me of right-wing preachers in the United States, who would be just like this if they could (blocked still by 200+ years of the rule of law). The ones with the most to lose are the women of Afghanistan.

it reminds me of right-wing preachers in the United States, who would be just like this if they could (blocked still by 200+ years of the rule of law). The ones with the most to lose are the women of Afghanistan.
...or the leftist who want to ignore the rules so their tiny majority can ram through their agenda???

Back
Top Bottom