Rebecca and The Bloody Codes

Go to CruxDreams.com
Chapter 4 June 1st, 1723 Morning In St. Giles

Mercifully, the small girl, alone and unsheltered in a dodgy neighborhood, was not molested during the night. There are so many horrible things could have happened to her that I must leave them to the imagination of my readers.

Shivering in the early morning cold, Rebecca woke tired and hungry and most of all thirsty. Stretching out her cramped muscles, she choked on the fog that John Evelyn, gardener and diarist, had described a hundred years earlier as “Stink and Darknesse” and the composer, Joseph Haydn, visiting London seventy years after this time, found so thick “one might have spread it on bread.”

Rebecca stepped out into St. Andrew’s Street and was immediately knocked over and almost run over by a large barrow of coal pushed by two dirty men. “’Ave a look out there, Miss.” One said as they continued without stopping.

Fanteeg, but unhurt, she stood up and carefully now proceeded up the already busy street. A little way along, she spied a horse trough, and despite a fair amount of disgust, did scoop a few handfuls to slake her raging thirst. She nearly retched at the taste, but soon felt a little refreshed.

She returned to #27 and knocked more, though not so loud as to disturb the neighbor, (Rebecca’s mother had raised her to be polite and courteous.) After waiting a half hour, Rebecca gave up and wandered back down to the Seven Dials. The teen was scared and confused. She knew no one in the city except for her cousin and she had no money. She hadn’t eaten since a small breakfast the day before and only a little filthy horse water to drink. What was she going to do? For the time being, she didn’t want to wander off and get lost, so she stayed on St. Andrew’s Street between the Dials and High Holborn. She watched the door of #27 to see her cousin return, but he did not appear.

A number of food vendors set their barrows in the intersection, but Rebecca had not a pence to purchase any. By late morning, the fog had burned away , the sun came out, and June warmth returned.

As the day wore on to afternoon, the weather turned unseasonably warm. Clad in her warm woolens from the country, the oppressive closeness of the urban air was squeezing her head like a ripe lemon as sweat ran down her back. At times, she thought a man was watching her. The small man disappeared for a while into the door of #25 but later, she would see him looking at her. She tried to ignore him; his attention just added to her worry. Reluctantly, she drank again from the horse trough. What was she to do!

Last edited:
What was she to do!

Try filching some food when the vendors aren’t looking? That’s what Barbara Moore would do (given that there doesn’t appear to be anyone around who would listen to complaining).

Seriously, another engaging installment. Can’t wait to see what happens next.

filching some food when the vendors aren’t looking? That’s what Barbara Moore would do
Excellent advice from Barb, given what I've told everyone about the laws concerning theft back then. :rolleyes:
polite and courteous...obviously alien concepts to Barb
But she still thinks she knows what's best for Rebecca.

Drawing of a food market at Seven Dials in the later 1700's.
the-bird-fair-in-great-st-andrews-street-seven-dials-in-central-london-G3BKEF.jpg
One way to earn money (if you already had a broom). Little boys would watch for Ladies crossing the street. They'd rush and sweep away the filth out of their path in hopes of a half farthing ($0.12 today) tip which wasn't required and often not given.
TheCrossingSweeper-wiki-1.jpg

Fascinating map, I'm enjoying working out what's there today that wasn't there then -
Tiburn Road, with its grim associations, is now Oxford Street,
Hog Lane seems to be where Regent Street is now.
And Montague House was soon to become the home of the British Museum ...

Have you noticed Shaftsbury Avenue now carves it way through the north-western part of the 7 Dials estate? And Hog lane is Charing Cross Road, Regent Street off to the west off map.

This reflects the westward movement of development, to create the West End we know today. Towards the City, the street plan is still very identifiable, Drury Lane, Great Queen Street and Lincoln's Inn Fields hardly changed.

Sweet appearance. Hardly the “artful dodger” type?
Hardly. More a little boy from a poor family trying to earn money for food. He would try to put on as good an appearance as possible to avoid "offending" the grand Ladies.
Apropos of your comment, 100 years later, in Dickens' Oliver Twist, Fagin's Den was located just North East of Seven Dials in the Saffron Liberty, near Field Street.
Cruikshank-Oliver-claimed-249x300.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet appearance. Hardly the “artful dodger” type?
Hardly. More a little boy from a poor family trying to earn money for food. He would try to put on as good an appearance as possible to avoid "offending" the grand Ladies.
A crossing sweeper would memorably appear 100+ years later in Dickens' Bleak House. If you have read it / seen one of the excellent tv adaptations, I can guarantee you will remember Jo.

A crossing sweeper would memorably appear 100+ years later in Dickens' Bleak House. If you have read it / seen one of the excellent tv adaptations, I can guarantee you will remember Jo.
Many, otherwise well-read persons have never read Bleak House or seen the adaptions (like myself). I suspect, to paraphrase Dick Deadeye in H.M.S. Pinafore, "its name's agin' it."

Chapter 5 Rebecca’s Big Mistake

Rebecca was so tired and hungry she was at the end of her tether. Many times, that day, she had passed food vendors with their barrows laden with goods. Her hunger was too much to bear. She began thinking that she would sneak just a little something from one or two and pay them back as soon as she had money from her job. It was wrong to think thus, but the lass was unable to bear all her misfortunes together.

So honest, sweet Rebecca became a thief and, without really thinking, exposed herself to some of the most draconian laws ever enacted against thievery.

An apple proved an easy swipe and tasted wonderful. A turnip also was simple to lift. But it was the potatoes that were her undoing. She got one from a barrow unnoticed but greedily went back for a second, when a customer pointed it out to the vendor.

“Hey there, girl! Put that bog orange back!” Panicking, Rebecca thrust the second potato in her gown with the first and took off up the street.

“Stop Thief! Stop Thief!” cried the vendor, thus initiating the “Hue and Cry.” In the days before extensive uniformed police, citizens had to help enforce the laws. The Statute of Westminster of 1285 required anyone witnessing a crime to raise the hue and cry, and all able-bodied men, upon hearing the shouts, were obliged by law to pursue the criminal.

Within moments a man tried to grab Rebecca by her gown sleeve. She escaped, nearly tearing it off, but this slowed her and instantly the girl was surrounded by a dozen men. They brought her, crying, back to the potato hawker. Meanwhile, one hurried off down Earle street where a watchman was expected to be patrolling.

The hawker proceeded to search Rebecca for his goods and soon felt the potatoes in her pocket. Encouraged by this, he took great liberty in patting down every inch of her young body, paying special attention to her girly parts, urged on by the onlookers. As he was roughly kneading her breasts, the watchman, a large man with an official cap, pushed his way through the crowd. He asked the vendor for a statement and was informed of the theft and the fact that two potatoes had been stolen.

“What be the value of said merchandise?”

“Five pence,” replied the vendor, doubling the market price.

“This is serious young lady,” said the watchman, “What do you have to say for yourself?’

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I was so hungry, I…”

“She’s a bad one, watchman. I’ve been watching her.” Said the man who Rebecca had suspected of following her.

“She came around last night knocking on doors and waking honest folk. Twice I saw her drinking from the horse trough. That’s a crime, ain’t it?”

“Yes, there be a statute against that.”

“And I saw her steal from the apple and turnip vendors too. Stuffed them in her dicky. Not lessin 10d from them. Youse goin’ to roast her?”

“Fourteen pence total? This is very serious.”

“And she been watching and knocking on #27, the one that’s up for sheriff sale in a few. I’ll wager she been looking to burglar that place. She asked for William Dodge, the bankrupt. He must be her clicker.”

“I’ve heard enough. Come along, you two,” he pointed to the men who had been holding and surreptitiously fondling Rebecca. “Bring her with me. We’ll take her to the St. Giles Watchhouse and she’ll see the justice of the peace in the morning,” he said starting up St. Andrew’s Street.

So honest, sweet Rebecca became a thief and, without really thinking, exposed herself to some of the most draconian laws ever enacted against thievery.

I knew it, and I didn’t even have to read ahead. ;)

Great chase scene and capture. Too bad the watchman wasn’t the kind and understanding sort. :confused:

The punishment should be severe but I hope there will not be hanging.
"My object all sublime I shall achieve in time —
To let the punishment fit the crime —
The punishment fit the crime;
And make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment —
Of innocent merriment."

The "Hue and Cry"
Hue & Cry 906c-103909a6233d.jpg
A watchman of the 18th Century
Watchman 1_l.jpg
Taking rebecca off to the watchhouse
TAking REbecca to the watchhouse.jpg

Chapter 6 Evening in the Watchhouse.

It was getting dark by the time they got to the grey stone building that was St. Giles Parish Watchhouse. The watchman dismissed the two men and took Rebecca inside. The girl was surprised at how gentle the big man was with her after the rough and rude men. He explained to the keeper her crimes said he’d be back in the morning for the justice court. He added,

“She seems awful young and naïve for London. Don’t be too hard on her, Mr. Fine.”

“Aye, Howard. You knows I takes good care of my charges,” he replied with a wink.

“Not this one, please.” Said the watchman, towering over the keeper.”

“’Course, Howard, ‘course.”

The watchman left to go home. The Watchhouse keeper observed how pretty Rebecca was and how nicely she shaped her dress. He got out his ledger and pen and began to ask the girl questions.

“Name?’

“Rebecca Godwyn, Sir.”

“I ain’t no bloomin’ knight, missy. Call me Mr. Fine. Where do you live?’

Rebecca gave her home in Kent.

“I was meaning, where do you stay in London, girl?”

“I don’t have a place, Mr. Fine.”

“How long you been here then?”

“A day.”

“Where’d you sleep last night?”

“An alley near my cousin's place.”

“Why didn’t you sleep at his place.”

“He wasn’t there, I guess he’s away.”

“Away is he? What’s his name and address?”

“Villiam Dodge, #27 St. Andrews Street.”

“Villiam? Oh, you mean William. Bill Dodge, he’s from there, but he’s off these last three days in Fleet Prison for his debts.”

“Oh God,” exclaimed Rebecca. The one person she knew was in prison?

Mr. Fine kept asking questions, ultimately determining that Rebecca knew no one else in London and had no money. Her only real contact was her mother in Kent. He explained, that with no money to pay him, there would be no “luxuries” tonight. Rebecca begged for food and water. Remembering Howard’s instruction, he gave the waif some dirty water and a little hard stale bread. Then he locked her in a small dark cell.

After looking his charge in, Mr. Fine returned to his desk at the front, and wrote a quick note and kicked his errand boy who was sleeping by the weak fire.

“Take this to Sir Elliott Grabbe. Tell them it’s urgent – special cargo!” The boy ran off and Mr. Fine smiled to himself. This would generate a nice gratuity.

Rebecca’s cell was barely four feet by five, with no bed or blanket and only a dirty bucket in the corner. Totally alone, in a jail cell, accused of serious crimes, Rebecca sat and cried. Despite her exhaustion, her worries prevented sleep. As time went on, the temperature dropped and the cold air came right in through the large barred window. Rebecca huddled in a corner and, early in the morning, fell asleep. As the light of dawn came weakly through the dark alley window, she had only slept fitfully for a couple of hours and was shivering with the cold.

Back
Top Bottom