Rosemary, Penelope and Marigold - the day they became female slaves

Go to CruxDreams.com
Prologue (part 7a)
Yes, there is always a witness (a representative of the justice system), an owner, an executioner (if he is to flog female slaves), and a female slave being whipped if the whipping is in prison.
If the flogging takes place in the owner's house, it is the owner (as the executor of the judgment), a representative of the judiciary) and the slave woman being whipped. There are also often other slaves (either belonging to this owner or brought from other owners' homes) who are on their knees watching the slave being whipped. They then know what awaits them if, for example, they steal something from a store.
As for the border between cases considered either by the courts or by the owner, this border is quite fluid. Certainly, the court hears all murders, organized escapes and serious robberies.

..I'm honestly not sure how all this affects my sense of how much of this is going on, but I still feel it seems a bit too common.

When flogging is ordered by the court and carried out by the owner, is there some requirement of witnessing?

What is the boundary between matters for an owner to resolve and those under the jurisdiction of the court?

...it looks like more slaves are being executed than than imprisoned or sent to labour?
Not necessarily. The number of almost 8,000 slaves executed in 2023 was still greater than the almost 9,000 slaves sentenced to lifelong hard labor. The policy is always such that the number of slaves sentenced to this sentence must be greater (or at least cannot be significantly less) than the number of slaves sentenced to public execution. Each year, the authorities' policy towards these slaves is slightly different (one year they are treated a little better, another year a little worse), and small amnesties are sometimes announced. And we must remember that in each such place there are also few, but also privileged, "professions" for such slaves, e.g. cooks, serving in the overseers' headquarters, etc., giving an almost certain chance of survival.

Not necessarily. The number of almost 8,000 slaves executed in 2023 was still greater than the almost 9,000 slaves sentenced to lifelong hard labor. The policy is always such that the number of slaves sentenced to this sentence must be greater (or at least cannot be significantly less) than the number of slaves sentenced to public execution. Each year, the authorities' policy towards these slaves is slightly different (one year they are treated a little better, another year a little worse), and small amnesties are sometimes announced. And we must remember that in each such place there are also few, but also privileged, "professions" for such slaves, e.g. cooks, serving in the overseers' headquarters, etc., giving an almost certain chance of survival.
They try to calibrate it somehow? I guess it still confuses me...

I think that the respected author spends too much time on the judicial enslavement of slaves and their rights. From my point of view, this is a contradiction with the status of a slave.
The slave is initially deprived of any legal and civil rights and, from the point of view of the law, is only an “animal that can talk.” She is not an object of law, but a subject. What other help from a lawyer can we talk about? Only the owner of the slave needs a lawyer. Therefore, the trial over her is the same as the trial over a dog who stole a sausage. Or over a chair, the broken leg of which led to the injury of the owner sitting on it.
Only a free person can be sentenced to hard labor or turned into a slave. A slave is sent to a quarry or mine without any trial.

I think that the respected author spends too much time on the judicial enslavement of slaves and their rights. From my point of view, this is a contradiction with the status of a slave.
The slave is initially deprived of any legal and civil rights and, from the point of view of the law, is only an “animal that can talk.” She is not an object of law, but a subject. What other help from a lawyer can we talk about? Only the owner of the slave needs a lawyer. Therefore, the trial over her is the same as the trial over a dog who stole a sausage. Or over a chair, the broken leg of which led to the injury of the owner sitting on it.
Only a free person can be sentenced to hard labor or turned into a slave. A slave is sent to a quarry or mine without any trial.
I feel my respected colleague has perhaps limited their study of slaves to certain parts of the world or times, rather than appreciating the full variance of the practice throughout history. The precise status and rights of a slave has varied between places and times. (And I will note that even in places where slaves were largely considered chattel, like the Antebellum South, there are known, rare cases of owners who killed their own slaves being hanged for murder.)

Injuring your slave is like hitting your car with a hammer :)
Foolish but legal? Yes, in many places and times. In others, there were various rules (with varying enforcement). After all, a pet is chattel property, but you're not just allowed to do what you want with it, are you?

Prologue (part 7b)
This is interesting, but although a slave has no rights under the law and is only a movable property, during a civil trial, although she is only the subject of the trial (and not the subject), a "legal fiction" has been created, according to which she has her own defender or representative (in this case, her owner). In criminal trials, her owner is her prosecutor (if the slave has committed a serious crime against him (she imprisoned him, tried to kill him, etc.) or a witness. In criminal trials, such a "legal fiction" has also been created , where a slave has a defender (although according to the law she is a movable property). If she is found guilty, she can, for example, be sent to hard labor in a mine for life (although in fact this is the most severe disciplinary or administrative measure, sending the slave to a new place of service ).
By the way, during the slave girl's criminal trial, the slave girl is naked in chains.
Later in the prologue, it will be mentioned that although slaves are punished for disobeying their owner, they are also rewarded for good service (and it is these rewards that we will talk about).

Last edited:
Foolish but legal? Yes, in many places and times. In others, there were various rules (with varying enforcement). After all, a pet is chattel property, but you're not just allowed to do what you want with it, are you?
Damn it! Pets are now better protected by law than people.

Prologue (part 7b)
This is interesting, but although a slave has no rights under the law and is only a movable property, during a civil trial, although she is only the subject of the trial (and not the subject), a "legal fiction" has been created, according to which she has her own defender or representative (in this case, her owner). In criminal trials, her owner is her prosecutor (if the slave has committed a serious crime against him (she imprisoned him, tried to kill him, etc.) or a witness. In criminal trials, such a "legal fiction" has also been created , where a slave has a defender (although according to the law she is a movable property). If she is found guilty, she can, for example, be sent to hard labor in a mine for life (although in fact this is the most severe disciplinary or administrative measure, sending the slave to a new place of service ).
By the way, during the slave girl's criminal trial, the slave girl is naked in chains.
Later in the prologue, it will be mentioned that although slaves are punished for disobeying their owner, they are also rewarded for good service (and it is these rewards that we will talk about).
Of course, the author’s opinion is the most important. But all the same, it seems to me that there is a contradiction here: either we consider a slave to be completely powerless or equal in rights to a domestic animal, or a slave has some rights (in particular, to a trial and the assistance of a lawyer) and then she is no longer quite a slave, but something else. A comparison comes to mind with the situation of serfs in the Middle Ages and in Russia before 1861. The difference between the conditions of serfs and African slaves in the United States was very significant, although both were sold wholesale and retail.
I return again to the example of the dog. A cunning dog stole a sausage from a street vendor - the owner paid for the damage on the spot and kicked the dog. An aggressive dog bit a neighbor's child. The owner of the dog, and not the dog itself, is responsible for the behavior and damage caused in court. During the trial, the dog sits in a cage in a veterinary clinic and waits to be euthanized or given back to its owner. I don't know UK and US legislation. Or are animal rights protected by a special lawyer in these countries?

Of course, the author’s opinion is the most important. But all the same, it seems to me that there is a contradiction here: either we consider a slave to be completely powerless or equal in rights to a domestic animal, or a slave has some rights (in particular, to a trial and the assistance of a lawyer) and then she is no longer quite a slave, but something else. A comparison comes to mind with the situation of serfs in the Middle Ages and in Russia before 1861. The difference between the conditions of serfs and African slaves in the United States was very significant, although both were sold wholesale and retail.
I return again to the example of the dog. A cunning dog stole a sausage from a street vendor - the owner paid for the damage on the spot and kicked the dog. An aggressive dog bit a neighbor's child. The owner of the dog, and not the dog itself, is responsible for the behavior and damage caused in court. During the trial, the dog sits in a cage in a veterinary clinic and waits to be euthanized or given back to its owner. I don't know UK and US legislation. Or are animal rights protected by a special lawyer in these countries?
Representation of a female slave by a defense lawyer in criminal cases is not so much a slave's right, but more a requirement that her case be handled reliably (so as not to accidentally sentence an innocent female slave to the mine).
The requirement for a female slave to answer independently in court (which was the norm in ancient Rome) for the crimes she committed (especially the most serious ones, such as murder, rebellion, robbery, etc.) was introduced so that the owner did not have to answer for his disobedient female slave. The owner is criminally and financially liable (including confiscation of the female slave) for his female slave only if he ordered her to commit a crime (regardless of whether he threatened the female slave or not with violence against her) or if the female slave voluntarily committed a not very serious crime. a serious crime, and her owner decided to pay compensation to the injured party and punish the female slave himself.

Prologue (part 8)
For every slave girl, one of the elements of her life is not only not to be punished by her owner thanks to her impeccable service, but also to have a chance to receive a reward. Being rewarded by her master motivates each slave girl to be completely obedient to her master and at the same time makes the slave girl herself more and more emotionally attached to her master. The female slave then knows that only thanks to her master she can have a comfortable life (depending on the wealth of the owner). When a female slave knows that she will receive a reward, she kneels before her owner, and after receiving her reward, she bows deeply to him, promising him that she will always serve him in this way. Each female slave also knows that for disobedience she will lose her privileges, which is an additional motivation to be completely obedient.
The rewards may be different and for different periods of time: e.g. the possibility of not wearing shackles (if the female slave was obliged to wear shackles), wearing clothes (mainly female slaves from privileged professions), the possibility of taking a short leave (female slaves from privileged professions are guaranteed them from time to time). ), going alone, e.g. to a disco, restaurant, etc., or the ability to have a certain amount of money for your own needs. For privileged female slaves (luxury sex slaves, models, erotic dancers, especially those serving as harem slaves, female slaves serving very wealthy owners), rewards for faithful service to their owners are, in addition to luxuries, the norm of their lives.
However, the greatest reward is the slave's liberation by the owner, although these are very rare cases (about 1/3% of slaves). The liberated female slave then lives with her former owner or starts a new life as a free woman (sometimes she works as, for example, an instructor for new female slaves or even becomes the owner of a slave herself). Female slaves can then benefit from the money earned for their owner, 25% of which was deposited into their sub-account at all times.
However, 99.66% of all remaining female slaves must live in slavery until official emancipation by the local Women's Slavery Authority, i.e. until they are at least 36 years old. During this time, they serve different owners, although usually in the same profession. If she serves in someone's home where the family lives, she is often treated well, often serving as a tutor for their children (she then has the privilege of wearing clothes).

Yes, yes, the carrot is important as well as the stick.

(It's a careful balance of trying to give slaves the idea that good work will be rewarded without allowing them to build up any sense of entitlement - different owners lean different ways.)

I personally would have manumission both more and less common, but it's your world.

Prologue (part 9)
The creators of legalizing women's voluntary slavery knew that it would be crucial for the development of this institution to ensure that female slaves were healthy from the time of registration in the female slave register until liberation, that is, they were slim (not overweight or obese, as well as underweight, and their general health was also was as often as possible flawless. Particular attention was to be paid to female slaves who served in their owners' homes, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., who were to give birth to their owners' offspring in the future, who were to be in full health so as to be able to give birth to children without any health complications, as well as sex slaves who, as clients, were to be sterilized (fallopian tubes tied) to prevent pregnancy, possibly take contraception (mainly have an intrauterine device installed) and undergo regular gynecological examinations to prevent venereal diseases.
Since in the year of the adoption of the Act on the Voluntary Slavery of Women, i.e. 1986, the problem of overweight and obesity was already becoming a noticeable problem, in 1986 approximately 13% of adult people were obese (14% in women) and approximately 55% of adults (56% of women), and also among young people 26% (boys) and 24% (girls), of which 3.5% of boys and 4.6% of girls were obese, respectively, according to the age of 12-19, where all indicators had an upward trend, it was realized that in order to ensure the proper level of development of women's slavery, it was necessary to ensure that every young woman becoming a slave at the age of 18 - 19 was slim and slender, without overweight or obesity. For this purpose, the promotion of healthy eating among young people (including girls) was to be introduced (including in schools), the promotion of physical activity in schools (including practicing sports), the fight against stimulants, etc. Particularly key emphasis was to be placed on preventive examinations, maintaining appropriate level of vaccination among young people (young girls). Since many of the young women who were to become slaves were to serve in their owners' homes, in addition to taking care of the house (cooking, cleaning, etc.) they were also supposed to give birth to their owners' children (an average of 3 - 4 children), it was clear that thanks to this the slaves who lived and are living healthily and could give birth to healthy offspring.
These actions proved effective. In 2023, the obesity and overweight rate among youth aged 12-19 decreased compared to 1985 to 0.8% (boys) and 1% (girls), and obesity to 0.08% (boys) and 0.1%, respectively. % (girls). Among adults aged 18-49, the rate of obesity and overweight dropped to 2.2% (men) and 1.41% (women), of which only 0.04% of men and 0.06% of women were obese.
BMI data for the general public:
a) women in the UK aged 18 - 19:
below 16.5 - 0.01%
16.5 - 16.99 - 0.09%
17 - 17.49 - 0.22%,
17.5 - 17.99 - 0.43%
18 - 18.49 - 0.89%,
18.5 - 18.99 - 4.75%
19 - 19.49 - 14.5%,
19.5 - 19.99 - 22.4%
20 - 20.49 - 24.1%
20.5 - 20.99 - 14.3%
21 - 21.49 - 8.6%
21.5 - 21.99 - 3.6%
22 - 22.49 - 1.94%
22.5 - 22.99 - 1.0%
23 - 23.49 - 0.86%
23.5 - 23.99 - 0.5%
24 - 24.99 - 0.38%
24.5 - 24.99 - 0.37%
25 - 25.49 - 0.31%
25.5 - 25.99 - 0.24%
26 - 26.49 - 0.21%
26.5 - 26.99 - 0.14%
over 27 - 0.15%
b) UK women aged 18 - 49:
below 16.5 - 0.01%
16.5 - 16.99 - 0.08%
17 - 17.49 - 0.2%,
17.5 - 17.99 - 0.5%
18 - 18.49 - 1%,
18.5 - 18.99 - 1.6%
19 - 19.49 - 2.7%,
19.5 - 19.99 - 4%
20 - 20.49 - 7.4%
20.5 - 20.99 - 10.55%
21 - 21.49 - 16.2%
21.5 - 21.99 - 21.8%
22 - 22.49 - 16.2%
22.5 - 22.99 - 9%
23 - 23.49 - 3.2%
23.5 - 23.99 - 2%
24 - 24.99 - 1.41%
24.5 - 24.99 - 0.75%
25 - 25.49 - 0.41%
25.5 - 25.99 - 0.32%
26 - 26.49 - 0.28%
26.5 - 26.99 - 0.18%
over 27 - 0.21%
c) female slaves in Great Britain aged 18 - 49:
below 16.5 - 0.04%
16.5 - 16.99 - 0.16%
17 - 17.49 - 0.3%,
17.5 - 17.99 - 0.9%
18 - 18.49 - 1.2%,
18.5 - 18.99 - 4%
19 - 19.49 - 15.8%,
19.5 - 19.99 - 24.1%
20 - 20.49 - 22.2%
20.5 - 20.99 - 13.4%
21 - 21.49 - 6.4%
21.5 - 21.99 - 3%
22 - 22.49 - 2.4%
22.5 - 22.99 - 2.1%
23 - 23.49 - 1.6%
23.5 - 23.99 - 1.5%
24 - 24.99 - 1%
24.5 - 24.99 - 0.55%
25 - 25.49 - 0.35%
25.5 - 25.99 - 0.24%
26 - 26.49 - 0.2%
26.5 - 26.99 - 0.09%
over 27 - 0.08%
d) female slaves in Great Britain aged 18 - 19:
below 16.5 - 0.05%
16.5 - 16.99 - 0.18%
17 - 17.49 - 0.35%,
17.5 - 17.99 - 1.1%
18 - 18.49 - 2.1%,
18.5 - 18.99 - 10.72%
19 - 19.49 - 21.5%,
19.5 - 19.99 - 23.5%
20 - 20.49 - 14.8%
20.5 - 20.99 - 8.9%
21 - 21.49 - 5.4%
21.5 - 21.99 - 2.5%
22 - 22.49 - 2.2%
22.5 - 22.99 - 1.9%
23 - 23.49 - 1.4%
23.5 - 23.99 - 1.2%
24 - 24.99 - 0.9%
24.5 - 24.99 - 0.5%
25 - 25.49 - 0.3%
25.5 - 25.99 - 0.21%
26 - 26.49 - 0.18%
26.5 - 26.99 - 0.06%
over 27 - 0.05%

Prologue (part 10)
One of the assumptions introduced along with the institution of voluntary slavery of women was also the prevention of vision defects, which resulted from the increase in the number of people with vision defects. Prevention included promoting healthy eating, physical activity, giving up stimulants, regular ophthalmological examinations, protecting the eyes against injuries and harmful ultraviolet radiation, proper computer hygiene (especially since the mid-1990s) and proper eye hygiene. This prevention was to apply in particular to young people, including young girls, many of whom were to become female slaves when they turned 18. In the 1990s, a program of laser vision correction surgeries was launched for adults, including women who were slaves and women who were to become female slaves, mainly with severe vision defects.
These actions brought a positive effect. Although in 1986 it was expected that 59 percent of Britons would wear glasses (due to visual impairment) by 2020, the prevention program has reduced this number to just 15 percent (data for the general population, in the case of girls aged 18 years, the percentage was 13 percent).
With the adoption of the Act on Voluntary Slavery of Women, regulations were also issued for Women's Slavery Offices regarding professions in which a female slave cannot serve due to a certain level of visual impairment:
1) below minus 3 diopters (myopia) or below plus 2 diopters (farsightedness) - a female slave can serve in all professions, including serving in a mine, quarry, on galleys and other heavy physical work (if the slave is completely healthy and has no other contraindications to performing heavy physical work),
2) from minus 3 to 6 diopters (myopia) or from plus 2 to 5 diopters (farsightedness) - a slave girl can serve in all professions, including serving in a mine, quarry, on galleys and other heavy physical work (provided that she is provided with a shorter period of service or its lighter conditions),
3) above minus 6 diopters (myopia) or above plus 5 diopters (farsightedness) - a female slave cannot serve in a mine, quarry, on galleys or other heavy physical work, she can serve in professions that do not require much physical effort
- however, after successful vision correction surgery, a female slave may be recognized as fit to perform service in all professions, if the female slave is completely healthy and has no other contraindications to performing heavy physical work.
A female slave with a vision defect wears glasses, rarely contact lenses (either purchased before becoming a female slave or bought by her owner) or may have her eyesight lasered at the owner's expense.
Every woman undergoing the registration procedure in the register of female slaves undergoes an eye examination if she has not had it at least 1 year earlier, every slave woman undergoes mandatory eye examinations every year.
The mere fact that a female slave has a visual impairment does not significantly affect her market value, as long as it does not negatively affect the quality of her service.

Back
Top Bottom