Go to CruxDreams.com
Great episodes and wonderful to see this story return.
“It’s kind of obvious, innit? The way you hold yourself–like a soldier or something. Besides, one of us would know after a while that nothing they do to us here is our fault. I mean it, Miss. Nothing.”

Margot didn’t try to stop the tears. She didn’t know the soft-spoken waif possessed such conviction. Perhaps that was on her for never even considering that she could.

“You don’t got to tell me what you were before they caught you,” Bun continued. “Most of us don’t. But understand–we’ve got to have each other’s backs.” She absentmindedly brushed her scars with her fingertips. Margot finally smiled and grasped Bun’s hand.
It turns out passing for a proper save is not all that easy for Margot ... luckily for her so far the master class has been a bit less perceptive what with being addled with alcohol and ambition ...

Last edited:
CHAPTER VIII

The meeting of the Royal War Council began with a procession. Savra, flanked by guards in ceremonial armor, led the way from the residential wing. Behind her walked her cohort of slaves: Margot, Dove, Pinch and Tisa. (Vine, after a week and a half, was back on her feet but not yet recovered enough to perform her full duties.)

Behind the slaves went Savra’s top generals, broad-shouldered men with shaven heads and perpetual frowns, clad in their ceremonial finery and marching in regimental fashion. They carried with them numerous documents, bundles of scrolls detailing every aspect of Vaatar’s military strategy. Margot felt as though the parchment were burning a hole in the back of her head. She walked just meters away from secrets that could hand an overnight victory to her people and she could not open them to look. It was in its own way a torture worse than any flogging she may suffer.

Behind them went the nobles, Prince Haftan among them, looking as though he’d eaten a particularly bitter fig for breakfast. Minister Moshti brought up the rear, double and triple-checking his sums as he walked.

The Council Sanctum was a fortress within a fortress, fully closed off from the outside of the palace by walls of thick black stone on all sides and illuminated only by torchlight even at midday. It was sealed by a massive set of iron doors, which two guards turned two large handles in order to open. As the council members began to file inside, the Queen turned to the slaves.

“Only one of my servants may enter the sanctum,” she said. She studied them intently for a moment. “Dove. It shall be you this time.”

Damn, Margot thought. That probably would have been too easy to be true though.

“The rest of you will wait here until our meeting is concluded. Should anyone attempt to penetrate the sanctum,” she smirked, “you will be the first to know." She turned to enter.

“Hold on, sister.”

Haftan swaggered toward them.

“As a Prince, I’m permitted one servant of my own.” Savra narrowed her eyes at him.

“What need have you of one, Haftan?” she demanded.

“To hold my cloak,” he said. He shrugged his ornate silk cloak off his shoulders and gathered it in his arms.

“You are trying my patience, Haftan.”

The prince surveyed the line of slaves.

“I will take Petal!” he said jovially, and passed Margot the cloak. She took it hesitantly, not sure how Savra would react. The Queen narrowed her eyes and took a step toward him.

“What are you playing at, brother?” she hissed.

“I don’t play, sister.” Haftan insisted, smiling innocently.

“Your Majesty,” one of the generals interrupted. “We are ready to begin.” Savra pursed her lips and glared from Haftan to Margot and back.

“If you speak inside the Sanctum without being spoken to,” Savra said to Margot and Dove, her voice dripping with poison, “you will be flogged. If you speak of anything that transpires within outside of the Sanctum,” she paused, letting it sink in, “you will be flogged to death. You will not get a second warning.” She turned on her heel. Margot followed Haftan into the shadowy chamber, and the doors slammed shut behind them.

According to procedure, Margot knelt against the wall behind Haftan’s seat at the long, ornate meeting table. She was required to stay there and keep her head down unless specifically called upon to attend to her masters. Dove knelt likewise behind Savra. It was for the best that the two of them could not make eye contact.

Savra commanded the attention of the room.

“My friends and countrymen,” the Queen proclaimed with a self-satisfied smile, “the end of generations of bitter war is in sight.” Haftan audibly scoffed. She ignored him, drawing herself up to her full height. “I know many of you have been wondering why I have ceased supplying arms, effective after the Cypress festival…” There was a murmur of acknowledgement. “I, together with my elite corps of assassins, have devised a plan which will deliver a fatal blow to our enemies in Merdaine…”

Margot held her breath, determined not to miss a word. This was it.

“...by delivering a fatal blow to their simpering porcelain doll of a monarch!”

She spit the description with such contempt, Margot felt punched in the stomach. Her heart cried out for Lusianna. She missed her so much.

“On the night of the Cypress Moon,” Savra continued, “two of my assassins will take passage on board a merchant vessel bound next for the port of Emmerly in Merdaine. The same day that they arrive, the Princess will be at the port performing an inspection of armaments and munitions. My agents will infiltrate the warehouse, block the entrances, and burn it down with the Princess inside.” Savra looked mournful.

“They will then be given posthumous honors for their sacrifices to the people of Vaatar, and their families will receive lifelong pensions from my own vaults." She bowed her head respectfully.

Margot wanted to run then and there. She wanted to throw herself from the window and run and run, barefoot across the desert sands, then swim a thousand miles across the ocean to Lusianna and warn her. Warn her and spirit her away from the palace, away from Merdaine and the war. She wanted to run away with Lusianna somewhere they would be safe and fall asleep in her arms every night.

Savra’s voice snapped her out of it.

“The disaster will appear to all the world to be an accident. A tragic, unintended consequence of perpetual war. The people of Merdaine, then, having lost their beloved figurehead in such a way, will be demoralized. They will begin to turn against the war, until the new government has no choice but to finally withdraw.”

“This is preposterous!” Haftan finally interjected.

“Excuse me?” said Savra.

“Pray tell,” Haftan said, leaning forward onto the table. “What happens if this stratagem were to fail, given that you’ve seen fit cut off all our supplies?”

“Do you have so little faith in me, Haftan?” Savra asked icily.

“I have very little faith in your strategy,” Haftan shot back. “You seem to forget that war is a broad and complex operation and not a petty feud between you and the Princess!”

“How dare you?”

“The Prince speaks perhaps a bit harshly,” interrupted one of the Generals, “but he raises a fair question, Your Majesty. Surely we don’t want to leave ourselves without any contingencies?”

Savra stared at the man with fire in her eyes.

“Contingencies, General, are for cowards.”

Margot could scarcely believe what she was hearing. No military official in her homeland would speak, or think, this way. Savra’s megalomania was truly astounding. And potentially devastating.

“You would accuse us of cowardice for looking after the Vaatari people?” Haftan roared, rising to his feet.

“You would accuse a Queen of Vaatar of negligence to her people?” Savra shot back. “One could almost question your loyalties, Haftan.”

The siblings stared daggers at one another across the table.

“Perhaps you would care to continue this discussion without the company, my Queen?” said Haftan.

Savra stewed for a moment.

“Very well,” she replied. “This meeting is prematurely adjourned due to my brother’s temper. We will reconvene in three days. All of you may go.”

The generals, lords, and Moshti hastened awkwardly to vacate the room. Margot and Dove rose and followed as well, bringing up the rear of the evacuation. Once they were out, the heavy doors slammed shut, leaving the Queen and the Prince alone in the Sanctum.

Margot pressed herself against the black stone wall, feeling overwhelmed. Everything she had come to find out had just been handed to her and now she had no way out and no way to convey information for weeks. Lusianna was in danger and she could do nothing. She had been part of the planning committee for the armaments inspection!

Pinch and Tisa, who were still stationed outside the Sanctum, noticed her apparent distress. Pinch murmured something to Tisa, who said something similar to Dove. Dove shrugged and turned away, shunning Margot. Margot didn’t care. She didn’t need them and she didn’t care what they thought of her.

She pushed off from the wall and headed frantically down the corridor, not knowing where she was going but simply needing to move forward. Before she’d made it even fifty yards, the slight, wiry figure of Bun rounded a corner and stopped her in her tracks. She was holding a large clay water pitcher.

“Miss! I were looking for you!”

Margot caught her breath.

“What is it?”

Bun tipped the opening of the pitcher toward her. Margot peered inside and saw, not water, but bundles of herbs from the pantries.

“I brought more of the medicines for Miss Vine. Thought she might be needin’ em.”

Margot was suddenly and violently overcome with affection for the girl. She took the pitcher from her gently, touched by the concern and the risk Bun had taken to deliver it.

“Thank you, Bun. I’ll make sure she gets it.” She smiled.

They were interrupted by the thunderous boom of the Sanctum doors opening and the clattering of Savra and Haftan’s frenzied footsteps down the corridor. Margot turned around and saw her coming. Her heart racing, she made a split-second decision. She threw the pitcher onto the ground, where it shattered with an ear-splitting crash. Margot hurriedly bent down and retrieved the herbs from the wreckage, shoving them into Bun’s hands.

“Take these!” She whispered. “Get them to the barracks, you’ll find Vine there. I won’t be able to come with you right now.” Bun nodded, her eyes wide with concern for Margot, and scampered away down the adjoining hallway she’d appeared from.

Savra’s footsteps closed in until Margot knew she was right behind her. She turned around sheepishly, unable to hide the demolished pitcher.

“Petal!” Savra barked, clearly still in a foul mood from whatever words had been exchanged between herself and her brother. “What have you done, girl?” Margot shrunk under the Queen’s scrutiny.

“I’m sorry, my Lady,” she said submissively. “I thought you might be thirsty after your meeting, so I was going to fetch you some water…” she let the rest explain itself. The Matrons emerged now from behind the Sanctum, flanking Savra like bodyguards as she considered Margot’s explanation.

“Hmmmm…” Savra frowned disapprovingly. “Thoughtful as that may have been, you have directly disobeyed me by abandoning your post.” Margot thought she saw Savra’s eyes flick momentarily over her shoulder and back. “You must never, ever, disobey a direct order from your Queen, you stupid girl. And you have broken my property as a result.”

Margot nodded.

“Yes, my Lady. I’m sorry, my Lady.”

Savra sighed heavily and clenched her jaw.

“I will see to it that you truly are, sorry, Petal,” she said. She beckoned to one of the Matrons, who stepped forward and produced from inside her robes a sturdy riding whip similar to the one Haftan had used on Vine, but with a longer lash.

Savra pointed to the pile of broken terra cotta.

“Stand there,” she said.

Margot turned slowly on the spot, looking on with dread at the jagged clay shards.

“Go on,” Savra repeated.

Margot closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and stepped gingerly onto the broken clay, wincing as the sharp edges dug into the soles of her feet, some breaking the skin. She adjusted her weight, tears welling in her eyes from the pain.

“Now hold your hands out, Petal.”

The stoic Matron loomed next to Margot. She slid the end of the horsewhip underneath Margot’s hands and lifted it, raising Margot’s arms slowly until her palms were extended out in front of her like a disobedient schoolchild.

“Ten lashes, Matron,” Savra ordered. She looked at Margot. “Consider this a warning.” She turned and swept away down the corridor, not staying to watch.

Margot sucked in a breath and held it. The Matron raised the whip over her head. Margot closed her eyes.

The whip whizzed down through the air and snapped across the palms of Margot’s hands like a firecracker. The pain shot up through Margot’s arms like an electric shock and she nearly doubled over, swallowing a pained grunt. She composed herself. She’d been trained for worse than this.

The Matron whipped her again across her palms. Margot pulled her arms into herself reflexively, her hands stinging brutally from the blow. Tears leaked from her eyes but she still didn’t cry out.

A third stroke landed across her forearms. Three bright crimson welts burned across her skin now. She whimpered at the blow. She tried to send her mind away, leave the here and now and retreat to a place of safety until the punishment was ended. She tried to picture Lusianna, how she had bandaged Margot up after a bad riding accident once, how Margot had laughed at how banged up she had looked, and how tender Lusianna had been with her. She thought about Lusianna bandaging her hands now, how tender she would be…

The Matron held nothing back as she brought the whip down for the ninth, then the tenth time. Margot’s hands shook violently with the strain. Her face was flushed and sweat beaded on her forehead from the stress of repressing her screams. Burning pain crept up her body from her whipped hands and her lacerated feet. She sniffed, desperate to maintain her composure and looked around, regaining her bearings in the room.
The other slaves had stood and watched the whole punishment. Tisa looked on sympathetically, Pinch with a necessary disinterest, and Dove with a bitter satisfaction. The Matron returned the whip to the folds of her cloak.

“Clean up this mess and return to your duties,” she barked, then strode away.

Margot stepped to the side, burying her hands under her arms and grimacing as she willed the pain to subside. Silently cursing, she knelt down and began to gather up the shards. Many were wet with her own blood.

Margot spent the first half of a sleepless night in the barracks huddled against the wall, hugging her knees to her chest. She was able to use some of Vine’s leftover herbs to soothe the cuts on her feet, but the wheals on her hands and arms still stung terribly, like oversized insect stings.

As she nursed her wounds, she became aware of a presence in the door of her stall. She turned and looked. From her clothing, the thin woman was a member of Savra’s household staff; a high-ranking servant of some sort, though not one she recognized.

“Pardon me,” the servant whispered. “The Queen sent me. She requires your presence tonight. In her bedchamber.”

The servant bowed politely and tiptoed quickly away, beckoning Margot to follow.

CHAPTER IX

Savra’s private quarters were a labyrinth of large and ornate rooms, adorned with austere statuary and hung with flowing gossamer draperies that fluttered in the midnight breeze, casting flickering shadows. The overall effect suggested to Margot that she was walking into a spider’s nest. She had never been one to jump at shadows, yet she still found herself uneasy as she made her way to the center of the web.

The bedroom was an enormous, vaulted chamber, dominated by a massive bed, set on a low stone dais and draped with intricately woven tapestries overhead. A decorated archway opened one wall out onto a wide balcony, beyond which the silvery moonlight glinted off the distant mountains. The lights were low, only a few candles illuminated the space. As Margot entered she thought at first she was alone. Then a tall shape stirred from the shadows.

“Thank you for coming, Petal,” said Savra, who had been pouring herself a cup of wine from a small gold table in the corner.

“I will always come when you say to, my Queen,” Margot replied. Savra smirked.

“I know that,” she said. “It doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate it.” She poured a second cup of wine and brought it over to hand to Margot.

Margot accepted it nervously. It was the first gesture of kindness she’d been shown by her superiors here.

“Drink,” said Savra, and took a sip of her own as if to prove it was safe. Though Margot knew that there could be poison in her own cup, she reasoned that if the Queen meant to kill her she had a thousand more mundane options at her disposal, and it didn’t seem like that was what she was after. She drank the wine, genuinely a little grateful for it.

Savra turned and walked toward the bed. She wore her familiar silk dressing gown and Margot was fairly sure, nothing underneath.

“I am sorry I had to punish you today, Petal,” said Savra. She actually sounded sincere. “I am not a fool. I know that you were protecting that kitchen girl.”

“Will anything happen to her?” Margot blurted out.

“No,” Savra replied. “It was a noble thing you did, Petal. Stupid, but noble. I had to punish you because you disobeyed a direct order from me, and that is unacceptable.” She took a long sip of wine and lowered herself onto the edge of the bed, crossing her long, lithe legs. “It hurt me to do it though.”

Margot looked down at her hands. She’d wrapped makeshift bandages around her palms and wrists, but faint pink streaks could still be seen between the wrappings, and they still were sore.

“That’s kind of you to say, your Majesty,” she said bitterly.

“That is why I brought you here tonight,” Savra continued, a faint smile playing about her lips. “To allow you to make it up to me, and to show that I appreciate your service…” She leaned back on the bed and uncrossed her legs. Her robe drifted apart and Margot saw that her suspicion had been correct. She took another sip of wine. It was good wine, bright, sweet and floral. Likely from the Queen’s private stores.

“Come here, Petal,” Savra said, reaching out her arm. Though Margot feared the woman, she found herself obeying without hesitation. Perhaps it was the strong wine on her malnourished stomach. She felt between her legs a growing warmth that she had not felt for a long time.The Queen let the sides of her robe fall apart completely and bathed her naked body in the candlelight. Margot passed her eyes hungrily over Savra’s glistening amber skin, her tightly toned abdomen, her sleek thighs. It had been too long…too long…

“Kneel down Petal,” Savra breathed. “Serve your Queen.”

Moving as if in a trance, Margot knelt on the marble floor between Savra’s splayed legs. Savra reached around and grasped the back of Margot’s hair in her long fingers. Margit shivered at the contact.

“Now eat,” the Queen commanded. “Eat until I have had my fill.” She pulled Margot’s head toward herself. Margot did not resist. She closed her eyes.

Margot had nearly forgotten the taste of a woman and at first it overwhelmed her senses. As her tongue entered Savra she felt a shudder pass through the queen, and she likewise felt electrified herself. The sweet and salty taste of Savra’s arousal filled her mouth, engulfing her nose like a perfume. She felt light-headed.

She ate hungrily, pressing her face into Savra’s cunt, her tongue playing the woman like a musical instrument, her lips mouthing the words to the most ancient and indecipherable of prayers. Savra reclined on the bed, gripping the sheet, moaning softly, tugging Margot’s hair, her long legs writhing, toes curling.

Margot’s tongue probed deeper and deeper, eliciting louder and louder reactions. She grabbed Savra’s swollen clit between her teeth, not hard enough to hurt, just enough to feel, and Savra yelped like an overexcited schoolgirl. That was a favorite trick she liked to pull with Lusianna.

Lusianna…

Without warning, Margot was overcome with grief. Tears welled in her eyes and she felt a hot stone burning through her chest. What was she doing? Pleasuring the insane tyrant of Vaatar the way she did her dear Princess. Was she truly so desperate? Was she truly so weak that she would crack at the cheapest opportunity. She felt sickened with herself. She felt like a whore.

She ate faster, more vigorously, her face wet with Savra’s nectar. The Queen writhed on the bed, gasping at the sensations Margot was able to create in her. Margot grabbed Savra’s thighs with her injured hands, pulling the Queen into her. She could feel her tensing up.

Savra went rigid, and a primal scream erupted from her chest as she unleashed a flood from between her thighs, finally relaxing after a number of residual shudders.

Margot pulled away and sat back on the floor, crying softly, heartbroken at having given the greatest gift she had to give to one who sought to kill her beloved.

After several minutes, Savra stirred and sat up, a drunken smile on her finely-sculpted face.

“Excellent work, girl,” she breathed. “Why do you weep? You have served your Queen well.” Savra’s hand gripped her shoulder. She frowned.
“I know that my brother has developed a certain…fascination with you, Petal. He so delights in spoiling my things. He has since we were children.” Her expression turned unexpectedly tender. “I hope he has not harmed you?”

“No, my Lady,” Margot replied, “Not…me.” True in a sense, though not every sense.

“What does he talk to you about?” Savra asked.

“Er…” Margot hesitated. “I don’t know ma’am. Himself, mostly.” Savra snorted.

“Sounds like him,” she said. “Anything else of consequence?”

“Such as?” Savra took a deep breath.

“The way he speaks, as though cheering for my failure…I wonder often if he has designs against me.” Her black eyes met Margot’s blue. “Has he hinted at any attempts to sabotage me? Be honest.”

Margit bit her lip, considering her options. If Haftan truly did intend to thwart the Queen’s plan, that was to her advantage. Nevertheless, she and the entire country of Merdaine also stood to benefit from disorder and infighting among the Vaatari elite. She chose her response carefully.

“Nothing…specific, my Lady. Though he does seem to bear some resentment.”

Savra considered this.

“Hmmmm, yes,” she said finally. “That seems to fit. Thank you for your honesty.” Savra finally stood from the bed and circled Margot, placing a hand on her shoulder. “Stand up, Petal.”

Margot stood and turned to face the Queen. Savra was sweating from the exertion of her conniptions on the bed. She slid the robe off of her shoulders and dropped it to the floor, standing naked before Margot. She placed her hand gently on the side of Margot’s face.

“Now you, Petal,” she said. “Lie on the bed.”

Margot rose slowly and sat on the edge of the bed, uncertain. Rather than repeat herself, Savra placed her hand in the middle of Margot’s chest and lowered her forcefully onto her back.

“That’s it, now strip.”

Margot obeyed, sliding out of her trousers and shrugging off the top. Savra took them and dropped them on the floor. She then began to pace around the edges of the bed.

“Stay right there. That’s a good girl,”
Margot stared at the intricately painted ceiling, scenes of beautiful Vaatari heroes and gods, their bodies perfect, naked and strong, their eyes like golden fire. Suddenly, she felt Savra grab her wrist. She turned her head to see Savra wrapping and tying her wrist tightly with a strong rope attached to the far corner of the bed. Were those ropes always there? She wondered. Who else had been bound by them.

Savra produced a rope from each corner of the vast bed and tied one to each of Margot’s limbs, until Margot lay immobilized in a spread-eagle. Her breathing quickened and Savra watched the rise and fall of her ribcage against her skin with lustful eyes. She knelt on the bed between Margot’s legs, looming over her, and traced her fingertip down from Margot’s throat to the top of her waist.

“Do not fear, Petal.” she whispered. “Your Queen means you no harm…tonight.”

Margot tugged at the ropes to alleviate her straining muscles. She moaned involuntarily.

“Mmmmmm, yes…” said Savra, “sing for your Queen…”

Savra bent down and began to place soft kisses on Margot’s chest, starting between her breasts and working her way downward. Though ashamed, Margot couldn’t help but feel the electric tingling between her legs. As she made her way down Margot’s stomach, Savra dragged her fingernails down her exposed sides. She felt the familiar warmth and felt herself begin to drip onto the bed. The sensation jolted through her and she squirmed as much as the restraints allowed.

Her only escape was to cast herself back in her mind, back to a warm summer night in Lusianna’s bed. She remembered how ravenous her lover had been that night, how she had pressed Margot with her whole weight up against the bed frame, how the ornate relief designs had dug uncomfortably into Margot’s back, and how much she hadn’t cared. She remembered how playfully Lusianna caressed her clit with her tongue, then how hungrily that that tongue had entered her.

Margot grabbed hold of the ropes the same way she had grabbed hold of the drapes overhead back then. She imagined it were Lusianna on top of her now. Lusianna’s fingers, Lusianna’s lips…

When Savra’s tongue entered her it felt different. She was more forceful, more precise. There was less unrestrained passion, but she knew exactly what she was doing. She was like a surgeon, stimulating all of Margot’s most sensitive places expertly. Her teeth roamed the edges of Margot’s slit, sending little darts of sensation up through her nerves.

Margot gasped and whimpered at each touch, each little sensation. She imagined grabbing Lusianna’s sweat-damp hair between her legs and pulling her in, pulling her closer, devouring her even as she was being devoured herself. She remembered the closeness, the oneness. He wanted to feel it again…needed to feel it again. She had to survive this. She had to return to Lusianna’s arms.

Savra worked her mouth more aggressively now, diving in, eating as though starving, gripping Margot’s hips and sucking her clit between her teeth. Waves of ice and fire radiated through Margot. She twisted her hands and feet in the ropes, arching her back.

“I’m so sorry, Lusianna,” she thought briefly, then her vision flashed a rainbow of colors. Her every muscle tensed, then she shuddered and screamed, releasing a flood onto the bed.

She wasn’t sure how long she lay there before Savra began untying the ropes from her limbs. She stirred and sat up slowly, rubbing her sore extremities, examining the chafed rope marks. She groaned.

“Be glad, Petal,” Savra said. She was up and about, pouring herself another drink, but had not bothered to replace her robe. “You have made your Mistress very proud.”

“Thank you,” Margot murmured. She was a turmoil of confusion. She felt released, satiated, but equally she felt disgusted, horrified at herself. She felt like a human being again for the first time in weeks, and she felt like a traitor. It was all too much.

“You will not be going back to the barracks tonight,” said the Queen. It wasn’t a request.

“Oh?”

“I wish to have you near me tonight. Next to this room is a private quarters for my chief handmaiden. As I haven’t one presently, you will sleep there tonight. This way you can attend quickly, if I need you.”

As she said it, she looked smaller and more vulnerable than Margot had ever seen her look. She wondered if Savra was afraid of something or simply very lonely.

CHAPTER IX

Savra’s private quarters were a labyrinth of large and ornate rooms, adorned with austere statuary and hung with flowing gossamer draperies that fluttered in the midnight breeze, casting flickering shadows. The overall effect suggested to Margot that she was walking into a spider’s nest. She had never been one to jump at shadows, yet she still found herself uneasy as she made her way to the center of the web.

The bedroom was an enormous, vaulted chamber, dominated by a massive bed, set on a low stone dais and draped with intricately woven tapestries overhead. A decorated archway opened one wall out onto a wide balcony, beyond which the silvery moonlight glinted off the distant mountains. The lights were low, only a few candles illuminated the space. As Margot entered she thought at first she was alone. Then a tall shape stirred from the shadows.

“Thank you for coming, Petal,” said Savra, who had been pouring herself a cup of wine from a small gold table in the corner.

“I will always come when you say to, my Queen,” Margot replied. Savra smirked.

“I know that,” she said. “It doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate it.” She poured a second cup of wine and brought it over to hand to Margot.

Margot accepted it nervously. It was the first gesture of kindness she’d been shown by her superiors here.

“Drink,” said Savra, and took a sip of her own as if to prove it was safe. Though Margot knew that there could be poison in her own cup, she reasoned that if the Queen meant to kill her she had a thousand more mundane options at her disposal, and it didn’t seem like that was what she was after. She drank the wine, genuinely a little grateful for it.

Savra turned and walked toward the bed. She wore her familiar silk dressing gown and Margot was fairly sure, nothing underneath.

“I am sorry I had to punish you today, Petal,” said Savra. She actually sounded sincere. “I am not a fool. I know that you were protecting that kitchen girl.”

“Will anything happen to her?” Margot blurted out.

“No,” Savra replied. “It was a noble thing you did, Petal. Stupid, but noble. I had to punish you because you disobeyed a direct order from me, and that is unacceptable.” She took a long sip of wine and lowered herself onto the edge of the bed, crossing her long, lithe legs. “It hurt me to do it though.”

Margot looked down at her hands. She’d wrapped makeshift bandages around her palms and wrists, but faint pink streaks could still be seen between the wrappings, and they still were sore.

“That’s kind of you to say, your Majesty,” she said bitterly.

“That is why I brought you here tonight,” Savra continued, a faint smile playing about her lips. “To allow you to make it up to me, and to show that I appreciate your service…” She leaned back on the bed and uncrossed her legs. Her robe drifted apart and Margot saw that her suspicion had been correct. She took another sip of wine. It was good wine, bright, sweet and floral. Likely from the Queen’s private stores.

“Come here, Petal,” Savra said, reaching out her arm. Though Margot feared the woman, she found herself obeying without hesitation. Perhaps it was the strong wine on her malnourished stomach. She felt between her legs a growing warmth that she had not felt for a long time.The Queen let the sides of her robe fall apart completely and bathed her naked body in the candlelight. Margot passed her eyes hungrily over Savra’s glistening amber skin, her tightly toned abdomen, her sleek thighs. It had been too long…too long…

“Kneel down Petal,” Savra breathed. “Serve your Queen.”

Moving as if in a trance, Margot knelt on the marble floor between Savra’s splayed legs. Savra reached around and grasped the back of Margot’s hair in her long fingers. Margit shivered at the contact.

“Now eat,” the Queen commanded. “Eat until I have had my fill.” She pulled Margot’s head toward herself. Margot did not resist. She closed her eyes.

Margot had nearly forgotten the taste of a woman and at first it overwhelmed her senses. As her tongue entered Savra she felt a shudder pass through the queen, and she likewise felt electrified herself. The sweet and salty taste of Savra’s arousal filled her mouth, engulfing her nose like a perfume. She felt light-headed.

She ate hungrily, pressing her face into Savra’s cunt, her tongue playing the woman like a musical instrument, her lips mouthing the words to the most ancient and indecipherable of prayers. Savra reclined on the bed, gripping the sheet, moaning softly, tugging Margot’s hair, her long legs writhing, toes curling.

Margot’s tongue probed deeper and deeper, eliciting louder and louder reactions. She grabbed Savra’s swollen clit between her teeth, not hard enough to hurt, just enough to feel, and Savra yelped like an overexcited schoolgirl. That was a favorite trick she liked to pull with Lusianna.

Lusianna…

Without warning, Margot was overcome with grief. Tears welled in her eyes and she felt a hot stone burning through her chest. What was she doing? Pleasuring the insane tyrant of Vaatar the way she did her dear Princess. Was she truly so desperate? Was she truly so weak that she would crack at the cheapest opportunity. She felt sickened with herself. She felt like a whore.

She ate faster, more vigorously, her face wet with Savra’s nectar. The Queen writhed on the bed, gasping at the sensations Margot was able to create in her. Margot grabbed Savra’s thighs with her injured hands, pulling the Queen into her. She could feel her tensing up.

Savra went rigid, and a primal scream erupted from her chest as she unleashed a flood from between her thighs, finally relaxing after a number of residual shudders.

Margot pulled away and sat back on the floor, crying softly, heartbroken at having given the greatest gift she had to give to one who sought to kill her beloved.

After several minutes, Savra stirred and sat up, a drunken smile on her finely-sculpted face.

“Excellent work, girl,” she breathed. “Why do you weep? You have served your Queen well.” Savra’s hand gripped her shoulder. She frowned.
“I know that my brother has developed a certain…fascination with you, Petal. He so delights in spoiling my things. He has since we were children.” Her expression turned unexpectedly tender. “I hope he has not harmed you?”

“No, my Lady,” Margot replied, “Not…me.” True in a sense, though not every sense.

“What does he talk to you about?” Savra asked.

“Er…” Margot hesitated. “I don’t know ma’am. Himself, mostly.” Savra snorted.

“Sounds like him,” she said. “Anything else of consequence?”

“Such as?” Savra took a deep breath.

“The way he speaks, as though cheering for my failure…I wonder often if he has designs against me.” Her black eyes met Margot’s blue. “Has he hinted at any attempts to sabotage me? Be honest.”

Margit bit her lip, considering her options. If Haftan truly did intend to thwart the Queen’s plan, that was to her advantage. Nevertheless, she and the entire country of Merdaine also stood to benefit from disorder and infighting among the Vaatari elite. She chose her response carefully.

“Nothing…specific, my Lady. Though he does seem to bear some resentment.”

Savra considered this.

“Hmmmm, yes,” she said finally. “That seems to fit. Thank you for your honesty.” Savra finally stood from the bed and circled Margot, placing a hand on her shoulder. “Stand up, Petal.”

Margot stood and turned to face the Queen. Savra was sweating from the exertion of her conniptions on the bed. She slid the robe off of her shoulders and dropped it to the floor, standing naked before Margot. She placed her hand gently on the side of Margot’s face.

“Now you, Petal,” she said. “Lie on the bed.”

Margot rose slowly and sat on the edge of the bed, uncertain. Rather than repeat herself, Savra placed her hand in the middle of Margot’s chest and lowered her forcefully onto her back.

“That’s it, now strip.”

Margot obeyed, sliding out of her trousers and shrugging off the top. Savra took them and dropped them on the floor. She then began to pace around the edges of the bed.

“Stay right there. That’s a good girl,”
Margot stared at the intricately painted ceiling, scenes of beautiful Vaatari heroes and gods, their bodies perfect, naked and strong, their eyes like golden fire. Suddenly, she felt Savra grab her wrist. She turned her head to see Savra wrapping and tying her wrist tightly with a strong rope attached to the far corner of the bed. Were those ropes always there? She wondered. Who else had been bound by them.

Savra produced a rope from each corner of the vast bed and tied one to each of Margot’s limbs, until Margot lay immobilized in a spread-eagle. Her breathing quickened and Savra watched the rise and fall of her ribcage against her skin with lustful eyes. She knelt on the bed between Margot’s legs, looming over her, and traced her fingertip down from Margot’s throat to the top of her waist.

“Do not fear, Petal.” she whispered. “Your Queen means you no harm…tonight.”

Margot tugged at the ropes to alleviate her straining muscles. She moaned involuntarily.

“Mmmmmm, yes…” said Savra, “sing for your Queen…”

Savra bent down and began to place soft kisses on Margot’s chest, starting between her breasts and working her way downward. Though ashamed, Margot couldn’t help but feel the electric tingling between her legs. As she made her way down Margot’s stomach, Savra dragged her fingernails down her exposed sides. She felt the familiar warmth and felt herself begin to drip onto the bed. The sensation jolted through her and she squirmed as much as the restraints allowed.

Her only escape was to cast herself back in her mind, back to a warm summer night in Lusianna’s bed. She remembered how ravenous her lover had been that night, how she had pressed Margot with her whole weight up against the bed frame, how the ornate relief designs had dug uncomfortably into Margot’s back, and how much she hadn’t cared. She remembered how playfully Lusianna caressed her clit with her tongue, then how hungrily that that tongue had entered her.

Margot grabbed hold of the ropes the same way she had grabbed hold of the drapes overhead back then. She imagined it were Lusianna on top of her now. Lusianna’s fingers, Lusianna’s lips…

When Savra’s tongue entered her it felt different. She was more forceful, more precise. There was less unrestrained passion, but she knew exactly what she was doing. She was like a surgeon, stimulating all of Margot’s most sensitive places expertly. Her teeth roamed the edges of Margot’s slit, sending little darts of sensation up through her nerves.

Margot gasped and whimpered at each touch, each little sensation. She imagined grabbing Lusianna’s sweat-damp hair between her legs and pulling her in, pulling her closer, devouring her even as she was being devoured herself. She remembered the closeness, the oneness. He wanted to feel it again…needed to feel it again. She had to survive this. She had to return to Lusianna’s arms.

Savra worked her mouth more aggressively now, diving in, eating as though starving, gripping Margot’s hips and sucking her clit between her teeth. Waves of ice and fire radiated through Margot. She twisted her hands and feet in the ropes, arching her back.

“I’m so sorry, Lusianna,” she thought briefly, then her vision flashed a rainbow of colors. Her every muscle tensed, then she shuddered and screamed, releasing a flood onto the bed.

She wasn’t sure how long she lay there before Savra began untying the ropes from her limbs. She stirred and sat up slowly, rubbing her sore extremities, examining the chafed rope marks. She groaned.

“Be glad, Petal,” Savra said. She was up and about, pouring herself another drink, but had not bothered to replace her robe. “You have made your Mistress very proud.”

“Thank you,” Margot murmured. She was a turmoil of confusion. She felt released, satiated, but equally she felt disgusted, horrified at herself. She felt like a human being again for the first time in weeks, and she felt like a traitor. It was all too much.

“You will not be going back to the barracks tonight,” said the Queen. It wasn’t a request.

“Oh?”

“I wish to have you near me tonight. Next to this room is a private quarters for my chief handmaiden. As I haven’t one presently, you will sleep there tonight. This way you can attend quickly, if I need you.”

As she said it, she looked smaller and more vulnerable than Margot had ever seen her look. She wondered if Savra was afraid of something or simply very lonely.
Excellent chapter. Nicely done.

CHAPTER X

The handmaiden’s room could have passed for a royal apartment in many of the palaces Margot had been in. Directly adjacent to Savra’s quarters, it was constructed much the same, with high, vaulted ceilings, ornate columns, and a floor of intricate mosaic. It was smaller than Savra’s rooms and plainer in its decoration, but still the most opulent space Margot had had the privilege to occupy since leaving Merdaine. She found as she explored the perimeter of the room, taking deep breaths of the earthy nighttime air, that she was actually relaxing a little. She ran her hand over the silky bedspread and gave in to the notion of trying to enjoy this night as much as she could, despite her precarious situation and the gnawing guilt. She was only human, and she didn’t know when she would be even close to this comfortable again.

Sipping from a much appreciated goblet of water, she wandered out onto the wide stone balcony, separated from Savra’s by only a single buttress. She gazed out across the palace grounds sprawled out before her: a web of threadlike pathways lit with pinpricks of torchlight, dissolving away into the inky darkness miles beyond. Ironically, she thought, it all looked somehow less sinister in the dead of night. She turned and looked past the end of the balcony along the high, sheer wall of the palace.

A couple hundred yards away, she saw flickering light emanating from a small open window. She furrowed her brow and tried to picture the palace layout in her mind. She was on the north end, just west of Savra’s quarters, which meant…

Moshti’s study.

She was almost certain of it. That was the Finance Minister’s quarters. The Queen set him up there to keep him close by, as one did with one’s money. So many details, so many answers lay inside that room. And the window was open…

She set the cup down and leaned over the edge of the balcony, examining the outer wall. It was alarmingly sheer, the coarse-hewn stone bricks worn smooth by centuries of desert winds. There were very few handholds. However, a couple meters below the balcony, a narrow ledge jutted out from the wall and ran the entire length along it. It was barely wider than Margot’s own hand. Little more than an architectural fluke, it was certainly not meant to be stood on. Still, it could work. If she could inch along it to where it passed underneath Moshti’s window, she could probably just about reach the bottom of the balustrade…

She looked again. Below the ledge, the palace wall descended straight downwards, hundreds of feet, ending in the murky shadows of a deep rocky trench that separated the palace walls from the grounds. If she fell, there would be no chance of catching herself. She would be dashed against the floor of the trench and Lusianna would be murdered.

Better hang on tight, then, she thought, and began to hoist herself cautiously over the side of the balcony.

The wind picked up, seeming to grow hostile the second she was over the side. She balanced anxiously on the edge, clinging to the stone with clammy fingers as she shuffled carefully over toward where she could reach the ledge. Once she was close enough, she crouched down, still gripping the railings around the balcony. She took a deep breath and stepped off, extending her leg down toward the ledge.

It was a strain. Keeping one foot hooked on the balcony, she stretched her leg downward as far as she could, and then some, grasping for the ledge with the tips of her toes. Her weight shifted, her fingers slipped, and just as she began to lose her balance, she reached the foothold. Holding her breath, she dropped down. Her soles met frigid stone. She was there.

Margot exhaled, pressing herself against the wall with her arms spread wide. She fixed her gaze on the orange glow of Moshti’s window and refused to look down. With her destination in sight, she began to inch her way along.

The ledge itself was more or less exactly the width of her bare foot, leaving her no room for error. She slid one foot along the ledge as far as she dared, then brought the other along to meet it, keeping her increasingly numb hands pressed against the stone wall the whole time. Though her every instinct was screaming to go as quickly as she could, she forced herself to take it as slowly as possible. The important thing was that she got there, not when.

On a mission in the north once, she had scaled a significant part of a thousand-foot cliff in a snowstorm. This should have been simple by comparison, but then she at least had boots and a warm cloak, and there were significantly more handholds along the jagged cliff face than the smooth stone palace wall. When she had returned from that particular expedition, Lusianna had scolded her furiously for being so reckless. She dreaded to think what the princess would say about this maneuver. Though she dreaded more that she might never get to.

Margot barely breathed as she inched along. Intermittent gusts of wind battered her against the stones, threatening to grab her and hurl her off the side. Dust carried in from the desert blew into her face, forcing her stinging eyes shut. The open night air was terribly cold in her skimpy attire, and the longer she was out there the colder her hands and feet became until they started to go numb. She felt the first waves of vertigo beginning to swirl in her head, and forcibly suppressed it. Somewhere above her a vulture shrieked, startling her enough that she reeled and cried out, thrown dangerously off balance before managing to catch herself against the wall. She closed her eyes and breathed a sigh of relief.

The window was nearly within reach now. It suddenly occurred to her to hope that Savra wasn’t awake and looking for her. She tried to put it out of her mind. She’d made her choice.

As she at last inched her way into the shelter of the window and its accompanying balcony, she heard voices from within. She reached up and clung tightly to the bottom of the balustrade, waiting and listening until the coast cleared.

"Is that all?" the voice of Moshti asked irritably. "I have an early meeting tomorrow in Khajhann and I would like to get some rest!"

"Er…well," replied another voice, which Margot recognized as the deep voice she'd heard speaking with Haftan before. "Nothing that cannot wait, I suppose, Minister. If you insist."

"I insist," Moshti said and audibly yawned.

"Very well then, Minister. Good night."

Margot heard brisk footsteps.

"Just leave it on my desk, whatever it is!" Moshti barked.

"Yes, sir."

"Goodnight!"

The footsteps continued until Margot heard two doors shut. One slammed and latched heavily, the other shut softly and politely. She waited at least a minute, until she was certain, then swung herself with the agility of a gymnast up and over the railing, feeling immediate relief when her feet met the window ledge.

Cat-like, she crept down into the dim study, lit only by a flickering, near-empty oil lamp. To her right, only one door separated her from the slumbering Minister, who she could hear snoring. She approached the desk and began to examine it. For all his apparent fastidiousness, Moshti was not the most organized. Loose parchments, scrolls and assortments of hardbound record books littered the desktop in chaotic piles. It seemed he was the sort of man who would intensely focus on a task to the detriment of all others. Margot began to carefully pick through the stacks, trying to keep her rifling softer than the snores from the next room.

Before long, something caught her attention on the top of the pile- a small stack of pages, tied with string. Unremarkable, except for the letters she had caught sight of:

“–got of Ossol–”

She grabbed the parchment and held it near the fading light. It was a set of dossiers, Vaatari intelligence on highly wanted Merdanites.

Official Memorandum:

On Known Agents of the Crown of Merdaine and Their Whereabouts

-Armand Ruvay - Senior infiltrator and assassin for the Crown Princess - Last recorded in Isle of Vijer.

-Lt Lord Marciel Durand - Senior Military Minister to the Crown - Quartered in the Palace.

-Lady Margot of Ossolin - Senior infiltrator and assassin for the Crown Princess - Last recorded in Northern Kingdoms. PRESENT ASSIGNMENT UNKNOWN.

The list went on for several pages, naming dozens of her friends, colleagues and allies in both the Messengers and the regular military. Many were listed as she was. Presently unknown.

Questions swirled in her mind. Were they looking for her? How much did they know? Did they know what she looked like? Who else knows? The number one questing boring through her mind, however, was–

Why was Finance Minister Moshti receiving high-level intelligence briefings?

She tore through the pile, searching for anything resembling more answers. Many of the documents were, in fact, financial records and receipts. Most were not too revealing but one in particular caught her eye. It was a record of a chartered passage on a ship out of Khajhann, scheduled for the night of the Cypress moon. It was the same time Savra’s agents were set to depart, however this passage was for only Moshti himself. She stared at it. Why was Moshti traveling to Merdaine?

The realization struck her like an arrow. All at once she was back at the conference table in Lusianna’s palace, frowning at Lord Durand.

"No doubt you are right, my Lady,” said Durand. “He wouldn’t have brought it to my attention were it not from a source of particular consequence."

"Someone high up?" asked Margot bluntly.

"Near to the Queen of Vaatar herself."

Moshti was the informant?

It certainly looked as though he was planning to flee Vaatar ahead of the assassination attempt. Would he seek asylum in Merdaine? Would they take him? Should they? Her head hurt from all she didn’t yet understand. She rifled through the papers more determinedly, looking for the one thing she knew would have the answers, the–

“The ledger book isn't there," hissed a low voice, coming from the darkened anteroom. “I've already checked. He takes it to bed with him, I think.”

Margot froze, peering into the dark as the source of the voice dissolved into view from the murky shadows. It was Haftan. He wore a dark robe and brandished a wickedly sharp silver knife.

“I can’t say I expected to find you here, pretty thing,” he whispered. “But I can’t say I’m surprised either.” He closed the distance between them in a couple of short strides, aiming the knife-point at her throat. “I assume you’re looking for the same thing I am, though I doubt a slave like you would know it if you saw it.”

“I–” Margot actually didn’t know what to say. There would be no consequence if he decided to kill her then and there.

“No need to explain,” Haftan said. “I know very well my sister put you up to this. I suppose she doesn’t trust him either.” He stood back, bouncing the dagger in his hand. “She’s not a complete idiot.”

“What would she say if she knew you were here?” Margot challenged. Haftan’s nostrils flared.

“Hold your tongue, slut!” he shot back. “I am a Prince of Vaatar. You are a slave and a spy and a thief. You have no grounds for aspersions!”

“You are a Prince, Haftan, but a hated one,” Margot could not hold back any longer. She may die in this room, but perhaps they both would, and she wanted her voice to be ringing in his ears as he entered hell. “The Queen trusts me more than her own brother, more than her Minister. Who trusts you?”

Haftan grabbed her by her silken top and, holding the knife point to her throat, dragged her into the small, adjacent reading room, away from the bedroom door. She stared at him, unblinking, unyielding.

“I don’t need anyone's trust. I have fear.” He growled, then composed himself. “Alright, fine. The reason I haven’t killed you already is purely strategic. Now that I have you here,” he elaborated, “I can use you.”

You’ve already “used me” quite enough, Margot thought bitterly.

“How?”

"Savra's lying," said Haftan. "She's not sending her royal assassins after the princess. She needs someone more removed, someone with plausible deniability. She will have hired a killer to carry out her vendetta."

It made sense, Margot thought.

"Get the book from Moshti. Whatever you have to do. Find out who the assassin is." His eyes flashed in the dark. "And then you will kill them for me."

The knife was still bare inches from slitting Margot's throat. She moved not a muscle.

"Why me?"

"Because you are unnoticed. Because I dont think you're as stupid as you pretend to be. And…"

Haftan smirked his repulsive smirk. The same as his sister’s, though he'd be outraged to hear it.

"...you're disposable. If you fail, or try to betray me, I expose you to Savra and you simply die a painful death on the whipping post or the bottom of the canal.

"Do we have an understanding?"

* * *​

you're disposable. If you fail, or try to betray me, I expose you to Savra and you simply die a painful death on the whipping post or the bottom of the canal.
Oh, you tease, how wonderful to be so completely inconsequential and worthless. Clearly being a spy masquerading as a slave has the unique advantage of being constantly underestimated! And shedding some blood under the lash removes a lot of suspicion!

A thriller indeed! Very tense and playing with expectations, while having a cast of interesting characters and of course, plenty of kink. I could quibble over various minor aspects, but all in all, I actually think this is probably publishable, in the bookstore sense!

Bravos. As others have acclaimed, a very absorbing, and intriguing story. Written by a very talented author. Can only hope that after a hiatus of over seven months life has not precluded the author from continuing this tale.

Back
Top Bottom