Wip - Women In Peril

Go to CruxDreams.com

This is a beautiful example of a so called "gauntlet track" or 'interlaced track". It is part of a double track line that is locally narrowed, e.g. for crossing bridges or tunnels, costly to build, in order to keep them smaller in width. In one direction, the train uses the first and third rail, in the other one the second and the fourth. The tracks generally interlace by means of a frog gauntlet, i.e. the inner rails of both tracks simply cross, saving the cost and maintenance of a switch on each side of the narrowing.

Of course, only one train can pass at the same time over the gauntlet track, and opposing traffic has to be controlled by signalling.

For this gauntlet track, train drivers got the instruction "If there is a chick on the track, you can proceed at line speed!":devil:

As a rail fan, thank you for the explanations! :)

Thank you, my dear, that really made my waxed moustaches curl up at the ends...

...but to what did we B-movie villains ever tie helpless maidens, before the Iron Horse came through these lands?
I suspect you would have had to resort to some other method of inducing pre-death terror. It's the same question as "how did people share their crux stories before the Internet?" We didn't. Each new technology brings it's promise of new forms of villainy. :eek::)

...but to what did we B-movie villains ever tie helpless maidens, before the Iron Horse came through these lands?

From Wikipedia :
“in France 991, a viscount Walter nominally owing his allegiance to the French King Hugh Capet chose, on instigation of his wife, to join the rebellion under Odo I, Count of Blois. When Odo found out he had to abandon Melun after all, Walter was duly hanged before the gates, whereas his wife, the fomentor of treason, was hanged by her feet, causing much merriment and jeers from Hugh's soldiers as her clothes fell downwards revealing her naked body, although it is not wholly clear if she died in that manner.”

Yep, women did not carry underwear those days.:D

This is a beautiful example of a so called "gauntlet track" or 'interlaced track". It is part of a double track line that is locally narrowed, e.g. for crossing bridges or tunnels, costly to build, in order to keep them smaller in width. In one direction, the train uses the first and third rail, in the other one the second and the fourth. The tracks generally interlace by means of a frog gauntlet, i.e. the inner rails of both tracks simply cross, saving the cost and maintenance of a switch on each side of the narrowing.

Of course, only one train can pass at the same time over the gauntlet track, and opposing traffic has to be controlled by signalling.

For this gauntlet track, train drivers got the instruction "If there is a chick on the track, you can proceed at line speed!":devil:
If they can't pass each other without a turn out why bother with 4 rails???

I'm pretty sure I've read of people in some ancient time being executed
tied down on a trackway and either trampled by horses or run over by carts -
I can't remember just when and where, but it would be surprising if it wasn't thought of -
it would be a quick and efficient way especially for an army leader
wanting to get rid of unwanted prisoners.

I can't remember just when and where, but it would be surprising if it wasn't thought of -

I imagine trampled by horses and run down by chariots might have been a popular sport spectacle for the Roman arena ... can see the crowd standing and cheering as the last victim is finally cornered and run down.

Long time ago, I have read a story about condemned being buried in the ground down to the neck. Then their heads were overrun by galoping horses. But I don't know whether it was true or only fictional.

Long time ago, I have read a story about condemned being buried in the ground down to the neck. Then their heads were overrun by galoping horses. But I don't know whether it was true or only fictional.

In the film Caligula, wasn't there a scene with some kind of killing machine that advanced across the arena beheading people buried in the ground ... I seem to remember seeing a nude girl spread-eagled on the machine like some kind of ornament

In the film Caligula, wasn't there a scene with some kind of killing machine that advanced across the arena beheading people buried in the ground ... I seem to remember seeing a nude girl spread-eagled on the machine like some kind of ornament
I remember that scene. But there is no historical ground for it. It was pure fiction, designed for the movie.

I remember that scene. But there is no historical ground for it. It was pure fiction, designed for the movie.

Caligula deathmachine.png Chop-1_00001.jpg headchop.jpg But plenty horrifying nonetheless ...

Back
Top Bottom