Wraggles To The Rescue!

Go to CruxDreams.com
My mummy was a bar-maid in the war.

There was a large Yanky base nearby.

Daddy was in Burma then.

Just remembered, it was a Black Battalion, strict segregation enforced.

She did like holidaying in the southern states, though, just wondering if it brought back memories.

Nothing nearly that exciting for my Dad. He joined the Royal Canadian Air Force and desperately wanted to be sent to Britain to fight. Turned out he had astigmatism, so he had to stay in Canada and teach the mathematics needed for navigating to pilots from all over the Commonwealth (training was a major task of the RCAF). He was so frustrated that he talked his way in to see Billy Bishop, the World War I ace, who was Air Marshall, the head of the entire RCAF. Bishop told him, "If I send you over, you are one pilot. If I keep you here, you can train hundreds of pilots".

He had also made the Canadian Olympic Swim team for the 1940 Olympics that were going to be held in Rome, but were cancelled by the war. He didn't get overseas until the 1960s.

"Message from Jollyrei to Squadron Leader Wagglesworth :
Old chap, do not worry about me, I landed safely and I did not get hurt. The SS-men that took me prisoner, are very kind , disciplined and correct people. I get treated very well. Actually, I found out that all the bad they tell us about the SS, is completely wrong. These are just fine, brave soldiers fighting for their country, like you and me do for ours. They have assured me that as soon as they will have won the war, which they expect to do within a few weeks, I will be released and sent home! Do not worry about the crucified woman either. They convinced me that this was stricktly an internal German affair!
PS : they just asked me a favour. Could you see to it that these leaflets get distributed in the cantina and some British barracks. Nice drawings, aren't they?"
(signed) Jolly.

"I say Algy old chap, Have you seen this, supposed to come from Bertie, that place 'Somewhere in England' have sent it over for us to have a shufty"
"Lets have a gander, Wraggles. Hmm! If we eliminate some words using the Inverse Dihedral Translation:

"………..from……. Jollyrei ………….. Wagglesworth …… me……. get……. hurt………. very……. out…… bad……. fighting…… for……. country…… within a few weeks…… home….! ……… crucified…… woman………..internal……… barracks

"then apply the (pi)-squared derivative to the Archimedes Screw Rearrangement:

"Jollyrei hurt internal very bad. Crucified woman fighting for home country. Wagglesworth get me out from barracks within a few weeks!"

"A cry for help from Jolly! Off we jolly-well go!"

Meanwhile in the Sicherheidsdienst, Berlin.
"Did you check that pilot's message with the (pi)-squared derivative to the Archimedes Screw Arrangement before sending it, Fritz?"
"Why bother? The Führer just said we will win this war over a few weeks anyway!"
"Right! Just don't forget to warn the commander of the 15th Army to blow up the Remagen bridge immediately! The Americans are coming too close for comfort there!"
"Sure I will, sure I will!"

"I say Algy old chap, Have you seen this, supposed to come from Bertie, that place 'Somewhere in England' have sent it over for us to have a shufty"
"Lets have a gander, Wraggles. Hmm! If we eliminate some words using the Inverse Dihedral Translation:

"………..from……. Jollyrei ………….. Wagglesworth …… me……. get……. hurt………. very……. out…… bad……. fighting…… for……. country…… within a few weeks…… home….! ……… crucified…… woman………..internal……… barracks

"Jollyrei hurt internal very bad. Crucified woman fighting for home country. Wagglesworth get me out from barracks within a few weeks!"

"A cry for help from Jolly! Off we jolly-well go!"
Good Old Slave! ;)

If you girls have Connie covering your backs, we lads have Old Slave watching out for our wellbeing!

(I thing OS's Dad must've worked for Bletchley Park in the war...;))

Actually by 1945 the RAF was back to flying by day due to both there being plenty of fighter bases in range of Germany, some of the latest model Sptifires actually having the same range as the P-51 Mustang (as well as the same engine) and the aforementioned lack of actual Luftwaffe aviation.

Anyway loving the story Wraggles...I mean Wragg.

Can I volunteer for a sortie? Behind enemy lines stuff is my sort of thing. View attachment 436207 and I am demonstrably nuts.
Quit, as they say, reading ahead! ;)

Wraggles returned to his office, and sat down to write a letter to Lady Jollyrei. He’d just screwed up his third attempt, when there was a knock on his door.

“Come in!”

He looked up to see a young WAAF Flight Officer enter his room, part of the Air Transport Auxiliary. She had a flying helmet on, but as she entered the room she took it off. Tresses of satin black hair cascaded down over her shoulders.

Wraggles caught his breath, as he recognised Barb Worralson.

“Hi Barb! Have you brought us a new plane?”

“Yep. It’s outside, all ready for you.”

“Good lass. What can I do for you?”

“I want to come with you.”

Wraggles gawped at her. “Come with me? Come with me where?”

“Tonight. To rescue Jollyrei and that poor girl! I saw her.”

You saw her? She was hardly on a direct route from England! You must have come the pretty way!”

“I do have a radio, you know. I heard your, er, ejaculations, and thought I’d wander over and take a dekko!”

“But…but.. what about those SS sharpshooters that brought Jollyrei down?”

“Sharpshooters? They couldn’t hit a barn door at five paces. I just weaved about a bit. Didn’t pick up a scratch.”

“But… why do you want to come? You should be getting back to Blighty, Lassie.”

“Don’t call me ‘Lassie’, I’m not a dog. I’m ‘Barb’.”

Wraggles just looked at her.

Barb said, “That girl on the cross is in the altogether. Not a stitch on. All the SS are men, Jollyrei is a man, you’re a man. She needs a chaperone!”

“For God’s sake!” exploded Wraggles, “We’re hardly going to take liberties with her with a load of the SS breathing down our necks! This is a dangerous mission, not a lad’s night out!”

“It won’t be a ‘lad’s’ night out. This ‘lassie’ is coming too!”

“No. Absolutely not. Never,” blustered Wraggles.

“Yes! Absolutely! Definitely! Tonight!” Barb glared at him.

“It’s too dangerous for a w…”

“Complete that sentence and you will truly discover the meaning of the word ‘dangerous’! I’ll have you know that I am leaner, fitter, and can shoot straighter than any man. I can, evidently, fly a Spitfire better than Jollyrei!”

“Well…dammit….why the Dickens are you so jolly keen? Not just to check that we keep our hands to ourselves?”

“Because…” began Barb.

“Come on, lass…uh, Barb, get it off your chest!”

“I’m not sure I should say. Top secret. Mum’s the word and all that!”

“That’s fine. No problem. You just hang on to your secret. Sleep well tonight. Think of us as you drift off to sleep. Bye, Barb!” Wraggles turned back to his desk.

“Because I know her, don’t I? The girl on the cross. I know her.”

Wraggles stared. “You know her? How?”

“She’s with the Free French. We learned to fly together. But then she volunteered for the Special Operations Executive, and was parachuted into France. Her name is ‘Messaline.’ She was my best friend in flying school.”

“Any idea what she’s doing on a cross?”

“She’s the bravest woman I know. She’d never talk under ordinary torture. In fact she’d probably ask for more. It will need extreme torture to break her. I think the Germans are desperate. The Resistance are like a millstone around their necks. If she breaks, they’ll be able to smash the Resistance. We have to rescue her before she does. “

Wraggles eyed her narrowly. “You’re not just a ATA delivery pilot, are you, Flight Officer Worralson?”

“That’s for me to know, and for you to wonder,” she replied, enigmatically. “Now, are you going to voluntarily allow me to come on this mission, or do I have to go upstairs and get someone to pull rank on you?”

Wraggles knew when he was beaten. “Have it your way. But you will do exactly as I say! Understood?”

“Understood, sir!” She saluted, and withdrew.

Wraggles looked at the closed door, the scent of her perfume still in the room. He wrinkled his nose. “Women,” he sighed, “I’ll never understand them!”

Wraggles knew when he was beaten. “Have it your way. But you will do exactly as I say! Understood?”

00024178.Little.Caprice.jpg I had my fingers crossed behind my back when I said that ... ;)

“Because…” began Barb.

95ec98e4a5ecaa3553e25a6d7feb0d41.jpg Never question a woman when she says that :p:D

View attachment 436356 I had my fingers crossed behind my back when I said that ... ;)

I really am getting one of my headaches :confused:

It is just what is meant by 'sport' in Australia :(:rolleyes:

You should see how they play cricket :doh:
Now that is most unsporting Wragg. Using the slipper when a man is down :(

But Hobart weather has intervened somewhat.

And it isn't really worth mentioning that match up in London this evening :D given that it was only rugby league and nothing anywhere near as important as either cricket or rugby union.

Last edited:
Code-named Milton Keynes ;) Remembering CXslave's adventures there, I conjure up a daydream of a crazy girl cyclist zooming around in the blitzkrieg blackout carrying top-secret messages to where gay geniuses are earnestly unscrambling and girl assistants stripping down to their undies 'cos the world's first computer keeps overheating as they feed it with decoding data :devil:

He had also made the Canadian Olympic Swim team for the 1940 Olympics that were going to be held in Rome, but were cancelled by the war. He didn't get overseas until the 1960s.

Your dad couldn't win a trick, could he Windar.
Then again, he did have you :)

Now then, I'm, sure I've read this story before . . . . . . . . . .

Wraggles.jpg

From my cross, I'm thinking :"Have they seen me ? Will they come back to recue me ?"

Messa un peu+hard2 (1).png

.... "Usually, it's my squirrel who is coming to help ..."
69bd6cbaed833f1e14838527b13c2fb7.jpg

"But, after all, it could be nice to change sometimes ...:D

What a duo !!!"

Percyaviator.jpg afc863c340379abbd72eec2859bbcc05.jpg :devil:

Your dad couldn't win a trick, could he Windar.
Then again, he did have you :)

You are much too kind, Phlebas.

He ended up deciding that Billy Bishop was right and was happy to do his part in the war effort from the ground in Canada.

As for the Olympics, I've read a few stories here on CF where they led to all sorts of trouble ( even wrote one), so maybe it was better they were cancelled.

Back
Top Bottom