Crucified males

Go to CruxDreams.com
As a child, I came across a book about gladiators (https://www.amazon.com/Was-ist-was-Bd-82-Gladiatoren/dp/3788604220) one of those colorful, picture-filled volumes clearly meant for kids. Among its pages, I found an image that has stayed with me for decades. It showed gladiators being crucified after Spartacus' rebellion was crushed.

What captivated me, and what I still vividly remember, was how different this depiction was from the religious images I was used to seeing. Unlike the usual portrayals of Jesus on the cross, these gladiators were shown completely naked. It was a startling contrast to the more modest representations I'd encountered in church or religious books.

This unexpected glimpse into historical reality, presented in a children's book no less, left a lasting impression on my young mind. It opened my eyes to a rawer, more unfiltered version of ancient history than I'd ever been exposed to before. Even now, years later, I can recall the impact of that surprising discovery.

I managed to find this book online and borrowed that image:

View attachment 1529858
I'd add three more pictures that I found in (rather) children's books:

Chłosta (Living in Ancient Rome).jpg Krzyże (Living in Ancient Rome).jpg page154 (Cambridge Latin Course) 500.jpg

As a child, I came across a book about gladiators (https://www.amazon.com/Was-ist-was-Bd-82-Gladiatoren/dp/3788604220) one of those colorful, picture-filled volumes clearly meant for kids. Among its pages, I found an image that has stayed with me for decades. It showed gladiators being crucified after Spartacus' rebellion was crushed.

What captivated me, and what I still vividly remember, was how different this depiction was from the religious images I was used to seeing. Unlike the usual portrayals of Jesus on the cross, these gladiators were shown completely naked. It was a startling contrast to the more modest representations I'd encountered in church or religious books.

This unexpected glimpse into historical reality, presented in a children's book no less, left a lasting impression on my young mind. It opened my eyes to a rawer, more unfiltered version of ancient history than I'd ever been exposed to before. Even now, years later, I can recall the impact of that surprising discovery.

I managed to find this book online and borrowed that image:

View attachment 1529858

This broke me :jump:

Last edited:
In these two photographs from 1892, 23-year-old Stepan Yaremich (1869-1939), later an art critic and artist, poses for Nikolai Ge's painting "The Crucifixion". Nikolai Ge began to draw only after the cross began to cause real torment in order to capture the necessary expression of the muscles of the body. It is a pity that the great Russian painter did not think to crucify the model girls. World painting could be enriched with interesting subjects on the theme of ecstasy of Christian martyrs. But, a century later, this omission was finally corrected...
.Yaremich1.jpgYaremich2.jpg

In these two photographs from 1892, 23-year-old Stepan Yaremich (1869-1939), later an art critic and artist, poses for Nikolai Ge's painting "The Crucifixion". Nikolai Ge began to draw only after the cross began to cause real torment in order to capture the necessary expression of the muscles of the body. It is a pity that the great Russian painter did not think to crucify the model girls. World painting could be enriched with interesting subjects on the theme of ecstasy of Christian martyrs. But, a century later, this omission was finally corrected...
.View attachment 1531613View attachment 1531614
Well, Nikolai Ge surely must have been "one of us" :) Not only by telling his model he'd wait until they experienced real torment before he woud draw some scetches, but also because he liked to experience it himself. As you can see in this picture.
And what a beautiful man with a gorgeous beard he was!!! World painting could have been enriched with a painting from this photo.
This omission is softened by the fact he made a painting using himself at an earlier age, see second pic.

Greetings, with arms wide open,
Adrianus

Attachments

• NikolaiGephoto-cruc.jpg
    NikolaiGephoto-cruc.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 206
  • nikolai ge christ-head.jpg
    nikolai ge christ-head.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 215
Does anyone know a movie where Jesus (or any male victim) is crucified the way on this picture?
(I mean first nailed to the patibulum, then lifted up to the already standing stipes, not nailed to a whole cross then stood up with it.)
There was a terribly acted jesus movie that came out in 1998. But the crucifixion was fantastic. Nailed through the wrists, kicking screaming, then the patibulum was raised with jesus still hanging by his nailed wrists screaming. Then they nailed his feet.

There was a terribly acted jesus movie that came out in 1998. But the crucifixion was fantastic. Nailed through the wrists, kicking screaming, then the patibulum was raised with jesus still hanging by his nailed wrists screaming. Then they nailed his feet.
What is the original name of that movie. Was the scene already shown here?

Mary - Mother Of Jesus
Crucifixion starts approx 1:15 mark

This is the one I might have been thinking of?

Love his loincloth and how it “almost” falls off as he is hoisted up!

Another one that I really like:

Slim, muscular body and a very hot looking loincloth…
Still interesting that one can show death (although in that case it is somewhat irrelevant), but no penis. so one has to show "sexy" loincloths. But then this again is allowed, but naturaly destroys the artistic idea behind the scene..... well, well. I am still struggled with the ideam how i would depict it for a general audience, probably I would not show, but would capture the horror in the faces of the two Marias, while cutting to the apostles, how they hide before the roman spldiers.
For a non-general audience I would show a Christ with a real big erected penis, circumsized for sure (remember being a god you would not make that small) ejaculating on the cross, while being penetrated.... However, guess not many people would accept that depiction.....

Why not? To paraphrase Cyndi Lauper, “Gods just wanna have fun."

:band:
It is not that unbiblicaly as the ones behind CL think, just a description of Genesis 6,2(That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.) My intention was more, that Jesus was made as man, and in some sense complete man with all his sins, which he however was able to overcome (well not overcum), And as ugly male (speaking of myself) it is rather easy to withstand the sin of adultery.

Back
Top Bottom