Cruxton Abbey

Go to CruxDreams.com
The noise of the pianoforte and the girls acting out various exciting crux scenes brought Lord Reginald to the library to see what was going on. The noise of the enthusiastic deflowering of Lady Elspeth (with participation of Alice and Sheri at some point) brought Lord Desmond and Elspeth's parents to the library a short time later. Old Lord Desmond shrugged his shoulder and said something about how he thought that would happen. Elspeth's father made noises about someone ruining his daughter. Arrangements were made to deal with what Elspeth's mother called "the scandal".
Are those his invisible hands playing the piano? :confused:
Considering the scenery and the outcome... :rolleyes:
Don't shoot the piano player! ;)

The Imaginarium of Jollyrei
What dreams may come to those happy few that live or stay for an extended period at Cruxton Abbey. They say it might be haunted, although that's likely just a rumour that started when Lord Wragg left the dungeon door open by accident and a few screams were heard in the bedchambers of the south tower. Ms. Prudely, recovering from her recent ordeal, and having been given some exciting and probably illicit medications by Lady Wragg, followed by a good portion of a bottle of Riesling provided by Barb, dozed off into a fitful slumber. Ms. Prudely's dreams were somewhat outside her normal type, possibly the result of Jollyrei, who was at that moment experimenting with his dream amplifier...
Parnassus4b.jpg

What dreams may come to those happy few that live or stay for an extended period at Cruxton Abbey. They say it might be haunted, although that's likely just a rumour that started when Lord Wragg left the dungeon door open by accident and a few screams were heard in the bedchambers of the south tower. Ms. Prudely, recovering from her recent ordeal, and having been given some exciting and probably illicit medications by Lady Wragg, followed by a good portion of a bottle of Riesling provided by Barb, dozed off into a fitful slumber. Ms. Prudely's dreams were somewhat outside her normal type, possibly the result of Jollyrei, who was at that moment experimenting with his dream amplifier...
View attachment 1522724
Quite the compelling image with an ethereal dream like quality, very nice

Parnassus4b.jpg
Whilst heavily defocused, the house remains a familiar sight, with its asymmetrical central tower. Whatever else may seem disorientating, this is indisputably Cruxton. The leaning wine bottle emerges from the ground with several degrees of instability, and is also treated to a blurry, possibly alcohol-induced haze.

In spite of these details, the composition is balanced and symmetrical, the wine bottle and foreground nude providing a contrast between a hazy inclination and a relaxed, upright pose. This figure is the only one in focus, emerging from the long blades of grass, and illuminated by the sunset. Her red hair compliments the bright green of the grass. As viewers, we identify with her and share her viewpoint, although none of the figures meets our gaze. They are not aware of our presence.

The distant figure, posed as a crucifix, resembles the character from a previous Jollyrei signature strip. She is not the only reference to classical art or Roman posing, however. In the centre, what appears to be a large, spiked candlestick, presents its needle in perfect equilibrium whilst the intermediate girl perches on the edge of the dish. She makes a direct reference to the ancient Roman bronze figure of a boy pulling a thorn from his foot (third century BC, artist unknown) which has been emulated by numerous later sculptors.

If there is a message being conveyed in this dreamlike state, it warns of large volumes of wine and the need to tread carefully in the dark, especially in the proximity of large spikes or nails. Nice work, Jolly! :)

Thanks Bob, that's a fun analysis. In my normal manner, I think I was conscious of about 3/4 of what you described, but certainly I was going for a kind of symmetry. There is also a sort of line down from the bottle to the spike on the one side, countered by what I hoped was an eerie sort of shadow from the house (where a long shadow shouldn't really be. That's the nice thing about surrealism - you can throw stuff in just because it should be there, and reality can go hang. :D
In the centre, what appears to be a large, spiked candlestick
That's actually a thumbtack on the ground. I got that and the background from a screenshot of the movie "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus", so thanks again to Terry Gilliam for the imagery. I translated the oddity of a dreamscape to the CF and Cruxton Abbey themes. The upended thumbtack might be ominous, reminiscent of impalement, or perhaps it's just generally odd (as well as being large, sharp and pointy). I thought of doing the picture without the wine bottle, but that left a hole that I didn't like, so I put it back in, and this seemed to work. Someone else can explain to me why the half buried or emerging skewed bottle should relate at all to the thumbtack. And yes, the tack is supposed to be that large in relation to the two girls. It's surrealism, you know. :D

She makes a direct reference to the ancient Roman bronze figure of a boy pulling a thorn from his foot (third century BC, artist unknown) which has been emulated by numerous later sculptors.
Now that's interesting in interpretation. I know the stories, of course, but I wasn't actually thinking of that. I wanted a slightly relaxed nude (in contrast to the ominous setting), and Eva Lunia (again) provided a workable pose. This made her look like she fit into the dreamscape (rather than trying to escape) and contrasts the more active pose of the other girl (unknown model, but you're right, I have used her before) which also links to the crux theme of both Cruxton Abbey and the forums. Maybe that's art - when people can find different meanings or ideas within the picture, and if so, I am pleased and gratified.

But I also recall Salvador Dali, when asked what inspired his Playboy performance art piece (some strange structures, a bunch of naked "bunnies", and a large egg), responding with: "They paid me a lot of money." So I think I'll just stick with, it seemed like a good bit of fun and turned out to be a good and enigmatic image (although if people want to send me money, I won't object. No pressure. :D )

Last edited:
Thanks Bob,
I really love @bobinder ’s analysis of manips, so deeply thoughtful and no details seem to escape his Eagle eye- well except thumbtacks, which I honestly thought was some sort of boat missing it’s sail!

Really excellent piece, @Jollyrei

But I also recall Salvador Dali, when asked what inspired his Playboy performance art piece (some strange structures, a bunch of naked "bunnies", and a large gold egg), responding with: "They paid me a lot of money." So I think I'll just stick with, it seemed like a good bit of fun and turned out to be a good and enigmatic image (although if people want to send me money, I won't object. No pressure. :D )
If you provide me with a Salvador Dali original, I’m willing to send a crisp $100 note!

Back
Top Bottom