Erotic helplessness : a study of the history of the Damsel in Distress theme in art

Go to CruxDreams.com
Detective mode engaged: The middle picture appears to be pro-Belgian and anti-German propaganda from The First World War. Although I have not seen this one before, there was a theme of showing invaded countries as naked crucified women, a great tradition which should be revived!

The picture is labelled "belgium-23" and there is a partly legible signature "P Cannere or Gannere" or similar. Try looking it up and see if there is more.

Edit: I tried but could not find anything else by this artist.
Thank you very much for your effort, Sir.
I´m going to offer you a reward as a private note.

1237881-mary-read.jpgPIZbotG8_o.jpgboadicea 1929.jpgpisarro 1931.jpgTimur_11zon.jpg

Some more Fortunino Matania: Mary Read, pirate, an incident from the English Civil War, the Romans flog Boadicea, Pizarro looting, Despina Queen of the Serbs forced to serve Tamerlane naked while her caged husband looks on.

These are illustrations from the household magazine Britannia & Eve published between the wars.

Excellent set.
First one remembers me one of my folders "female duelists". Could be a new thread in some weeks.

View attachment 1516064
I suppose "Does my bum look big in this?" counts as peril. This is Edwin Lonsden Long's "The Chosen Five"

edwin lonsden long.jpg

Here the artist Zeuxis tries to recreate the beauty of Helen of Troy by inviting the five most beautiful women in Croton to model for him. Well, that was his story,

Can't wait for the female duellists thread,

View attachment 1516033View attachment 1516034View attachment 1516035View attachment 1516036View attachment 1516037

Some more Fortunino Matania: Mary Read, pirate, an incident from the English Civil War, the Romans flog Boadicea, Pizarro looting, Despina Queen of the Serbs forced to serve Tamerlane naked while her caged husband looks on.

These are illustrations from the household magazine Britannia & Eve published between the wars.
Incredible Matania art ! I had never seen the Boadicea flog or Pizarro loot drawings... Nor does it appear in Google Images. Do you recall where you found it ?

Some other of my recent finds : a slave market (Russian artist)

View attachment 1516117
While in the days of the USSR nobody from the outside made much of a difference the artist has signed with a very typically Ukrainian name (Stepanenko), here's a few others that can be found

Attachments

• 1350065547-0047824-www.nevsepic.com.ua.jpg
    1350065547-0047824-www.nevsepic.com.ua.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 1350065544-0047825-www.nevsepic.com.ua.jpg
    1350065544-0047825-www.nevsepic.com.ua.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 1350065544-0050612-www.nevsepic.com.ua.jpg
    1350065544-0050612-www.nevsepic.com.ua.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 170
Incredible Matania art ! I had never seen the Boadicea flog or Pizarro loot drawings... Nor does it appear in Google Images. Do you recall where you found it ?
The British Newspaper Archive has a pretty complete set of scans of Britannia & Eve. Matania started off illustrating a "great moments in history" series and ended up writing it himself.

An interesting idea - Suspected witches were made to run over red-hot glowing plowshares to determine if magic was present. If the woman suffered wounds that did not heal immediately, then she was a witch. Only the innocent, it was presumed, would either have wounds that healed immediately, or would not suffer any harm at all. Naturally, if she didn't heal, she was burned at the stake. Most women put to this test likely had no way of escaping death. The accusation of witchcraft itself was the death sentence, it seems.

German women in the middle-ages might have benefited from a community course on firewalking.

German women in the middle-ages might have benefited from a community course on firewalking.
Surely a useful skill to learn, though of course one should remember that the vast majority of witch-hunting crazes happened in the late 16th and throughout the 17th centuries, not the middle ages. In fact during the high middle ages they were extremely rare.

It was really the availability of the printing press that allowed newly made up sensational ideas of witchcraft to spread and become contagious, starting in the later 15th century ... things like the "Malleus Maleficarum" weren't so much a summary of ancient witch-hunter experience from the preceding centuries rather than newly made up theories. Disinformation spreading in new media is not a novel problem....

Last edited:
While in the days of the USSR nobody from the outside made much of a difference the artist has signed with a very typically Ukrainian name (Stepanenko), here's a few others that can be found
Lev Stepanenko, active as an illustrator until about 10 years ago (so before the invasion). Most of his work online is portraits of women, but he evidently did a series of illustrations of Dante's Inferno, I think the ones you've posted are probably from that series - certainly #1, with Virgil and Dante viewing the scene.

The British Newspaper Archive has a pretty complete set of scans of Britannia & Eve. Matania started off illustrating a "great moments in history" series and ended up writing it himself.
Many thanks ! I've began perusing their database... Unfortunately they do not allow high resolution downloads, so I have to use many screenshots to try to reconstitute these treasures... Here is already Susannah and the Elders, from the August 1929 issue of B&E...

Attachments

• Susannah Matania_11zon.jpg
    Susannah Matania_11zon.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 160
Malleus Maleficarum
In fact, hardly anyone in the late Middle Ages believed the nonsense that was compiled in Heinrich Kramer's 'Malleus Maleficarum' about witchcraft as a 'handbook for witch hunters' (first published in 1487)...
But some people who were obsessed with Kramer's delusions did believe... and they tortured the accused women to get the confessions they wanted. And so Kramer's absurd ideas were repeatedly confirmed by the confessions of 'convicted witches'... until more and more people fell victim to witch mania and, with a delay of almost 100 years, the great waves of witch hunts began throughout middle and northwest Europe and then raged for about another hundred years. And of course printed broadsheets like like the following played an important role.

Malleus_maleficarum,_Köln_1520,_Titelseite.jpg Colored broadsheet, witch hunts in Switzerland (1).jpg Colored broadsheet, witch hunts in Switzerland (2).jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom