Erotic helplessness : a study of the history of the Damsel in Distress theme in art

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hi, dear, nice idea, but the soldier fights during the "battle of the Marne" 1914-7,8,9 september which saved France. You were fooled because the French uniform ("garance" blue, red trousers) was the same as in 1870 at the start of the war and was quickly abandoned because it turned our men into ideal targets.
I have a story happening during this battle -:))))
I was wondering whether it might be a WW I scene, as you say, the uniforms seem outdated by that time, and Bouligny was getting old. But it's perhaps more likely that he'd seen Waterhouse's Eulalia.

I was wondering whether it might be a WW I scene, as you say, the uniforms seem outdated by that time, and Bouligny was getting old. But it's perhaps more likely that he'd seen Waterhouse's Eulalia.
The French generals thought the red and blue uniforms were good for moral and look great in propaganda posters.
ww1french.jpg
But they sure stood out like sore thumbs on the battlefield; especially compared to the British and Germans.
ww1uni.jpg
After a few hundred thousand casualties, they finally gave in to something a bit more practical.
World-War-One-Uniforms-France.jpg
But, you know the French, its all about being fashionable.
ww1fashion.jpg

So this is Agrippina and her newly crowned Roman emperor son, Nero.

nero i.jpeg

And they do all the usual mother-and-son bonding: presiding over the slaughter in the arena, testing poisons on slaves:
nero small 000017653.pngneron na arenie.jpgNéron_essayant_des_poisons_-_Jean-Baptiste_Cariven_-_Musée_des_Beaux-Arts_de_Gaillac.jpg

And it's all going swimmingly, right up to the unfortunate boating incident:
nero Gustav_Wertheimer_-_Der_Schiffbruch_der_Agrippina~2.jpg

Agrippina survives this ( not so sure about the woman on the right) and swims to shore...tbc

tbc

Last edited:
Agrippina survives this ( not so sure about the woman on the right) and swims to shore...tbc
The woman was Acerronia Polla, a friend of Agrippina. She was mistaken for Agrippina and murdered by the assassins who had targeted Nero's mother.
According to sources she imposed to be Agrippina, either to save her friend from getting murdered, or by hoping to be rescued, as she mistook the assassination attempt for an accident.

According to sources she imposed to be Agrippina, either to save her friend from getting murdered, or by hoping to be rescued, as she mistook the assassination attempt for an accident.
That sounds worthy of CruxForums treatment, like getting crucified by mistake! :D

Having survived the sinking boat (the last in a line of cack handed
assassination attempts including a collapsing bed) a dripping wet Agrippina makes it back to shore only to be despatched by a team of old fashioned murderers who club and stab her to death. Whereupon:
image002_543.jpgnero m-MSU8AEU33Z.jpegNerone _esamina_il_corpo_di_Agrippina_-_Negri (1).jpgNerone_davanti_al_corpo_morto_di_Agrippina,_1644-49 (1).jpgNero bcc147588fdfdc.jpg

"Nero could not wait to see the dead body; he held her limbs; he criticised some and praised others; being thirsty during all this he had drinks."

Last edited:
The Arrest of Mary Queen of Scots (1542-1587), on 11th August 1586, engraving by William and John Walker after Mather Brown, 1811

Attachments

• the-arrest-of-mary-queen-of-scots-1542-1587-on-11th-august-1586-engraving-by-william-and-john-...jpg
    the-arrest-of-mary-queen-of-scots-1542-1587-on-11th-august-1586-engraving-by-william-and-john-...jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 204
Back
Top Bottom