Judicial Corporal Punishment Of Women: Illustrations

Go to CruxDreams.com
Recently posted on DA (larger size). Not sure how much longer I will last there. Sailing close to the DA PC wind.
A young woman in the audience is shocked by the barbarity of the punishment.View attachment 972631
Is she? my impression is that she likes to see the tits bouncing when hit by the cane. I think she isn't shocked, but endulges what she sees. Perhaps she had even sentenced her servant to a punishment like that?

It's from a Canadian TV. This is a citation from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie-Josephte_Corriveau):

"1993: La Corriveau, play by Guy Cloutier, produced by Denise Verville and staged at the Théâtre Périscope [fr], Quebec, from 12 to 30 January 1993. It was reprised, adapted for television with the title La Corrivaux by the director Jean Salvy, with Anne Dorval in the title role, and broadcast on the Télévision Radio-Canada network in 1995."

Unfortunately lost...

Thanks, @lithos1 -- that explains why the two dialogue lines are in French with an accent I could not place. Quebecois, then. Wikipedia mentions two separate women being flogged (and branded) after the first trial: "Marie-Josephte was found to be an accomplice to murder, and sentenced to 60 lashes and branded with the letter M on her hand. One of Joseph Corriveau's nieces, Isabelle Sylvain (who he employed as a servant), had testified but changed her story several times during the hearing; she was found guilty of perjury and given 30 lashes and branded with the letter P." In the clip, there is a second woman in a suspended cage, and although I can't entirely make out what she is saying I can understand her reference to "fer rouge", i.e. being branded. So, I presume the women being whipped is Isabelle and the woman in the cage is Marie-Josephte.
Further to this discussion back in September, the Canadian TV production "La Corriveaux" is no longer lost -- a much better complete VHS transfer was uploaded onto Youtube a few months ago:

Here are some screencaps and an edit of the flogging scene (starting at 1:15 in the Youtube video):

La Corriveaux   Anne Dorval, Film, Radio Canada, 1994 (480p_30fps_H264-128kbit_AAC)-01.15.02....jpegLa Corriveaux   Anne Dorval, Film, Radio Canada, 1994 (480p_30fps_H264-128kbit_AAC)-01.15.11....jpegLa Corriveaux   Anne Dorval, Film, Radio Canada, 1994 (480p_30fps_H264-128kbit_AAC)-01.15.27....jpegLa Corriveaux   Anne Dorval, Film, Radio Canada, 1994 (480p_30fps_H264-128kbit_AAC)-01.17.41....jpegLa Corriveaux   Anne Dorval, Film, Radio Canada, 1994 (480p_30fps_H264-128kbit_AAC)-01.17.46....jpeg

View attachment La Corriveaux Anne Dorval, Film, Radio Canada, 1994 (480p_30fps_H264-128kbit_AAC)-cut-merged...mp4

In my earlier posting I was confused as to why there was a woman in a suspended cage and another being flogged. It's now clear that this was a theatrical device -- both of them are Marie-Josephte Corriveau. She is narrating her story from the cage as flashbacks, which is visually confusing on film and probably worked better on stage (it's a film adaptation of a stage production).

Later on, from 1:31, there is an extended hanging scene, complete with forced haircut and display of her corpse in a gibbet after her execution. Her gibbet still exists, and a photo is on Wikipedia.

Excellent picture! What's the name of the comic?
The source is printed on the image itself: "Sade by Griffo". The full title is "Sade: L'Aigle, Mademoiselle" by Griffo and Dufaux. Full comic is here:

The panel posted by @Harsh Martinet is on page 4.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom