Now This Just Isn't Funny

Go to CruxDreams.com
For the record I want everyone here on CF to know that two glasses is my limit.
Define what you mean by fun. ... and be careful! I have demerits handy!
Barbara, I just leave you with the folk saying (explained in the latest Rebecca entry) from Northern England:

‘Don’t be like the saddler of Bawtry,’ an 18th century expression meaning ‘never refuse the offer of a drink’.

Anyone ever hear of this work?

New and Gorgeous Pantomime entitled Harlequin Prince Cherrytop and the Good Fairy Fairfuck, or the Frig, the Fuck and the Fairy, etc. (1879) by George Augustus Sala, a highly regarded British journalist.

The panto relates the story of Prince Cherrytop, who has become enslaved by the Demon of Masturbation. The Good Fairy Fairfuck helps him conquer his addiction to self-abuse, so he can embrace the joys of holy matrimony with his betrothed, the Princess Shovituppa.

Quote:

“For all your threats I don’t care a fuck.
I’ll never leave my princely darling duck.”
I was waiting for someone to comment on the subtitle. The subtitle here is most interesting in literary terms. Three years after this was published a new comic opera, Iolanthe, opened in London on 25 November 1882, with music by Arthur Sullivan and libretto by W. S. Gilbert.
What is fascinating is the subtitle of that work. "The Peer and the Peri" Since the idea for this originated in 1881, did they borrow the subtitle (and some plot) from Sala? Is it prophetic in regard to the current residents at 10 Downing Street? Inquiring minds want to know.

Back
Top Bottom