Original Manipulations by Cruxforums Members

Go to CruxDreams.com
Would-be Martyrs in the Arena with Balloons.

MartyrBalloons1.jpg

"Do they still want to kill us, do you suppose, @Eulalia ?"
"Well, we're naked in the arena, @Barbaria1 , surrounded by nasty Romans, so I would guess, yes. But I think they're not quite sure how to proceed now that the bull is already dead."
"Then we just have to keep the initiative. Distract them."
"Speaking of that, I'm not quite sure what your tactics are, Barb, but you seem to have confused Caesar, at least. He's not sure what to make of you."
"Yeah, I thought the balloons would help with that. I bet he's never seen anything like it."
"I think that's a safe bet. The balloons were a nice touch."
"Thanks! I'm going for the 'not a threat, so we should let them go' idea. Do you think we might get away with it, Eul?"
"Depends who gave you the balloons."
"Jollyrei - you know, thin guy, dresses in black."
"Not a chance then. But thanks for trying. At least we know we won't be tied to the bull."
"The balloons have happy faces!!"
"Yes, a good try. One for the history books. Something to cheer up the gladiators...afterwards."
"Oh shit!"

Jollyrei's pictures are so neatly blended, with close attention to figure scale and lighting, that the results effectively disguise the extent of the work involved. This one is no exception, a number of alternative compositions having been tried before deciding on this arrangement. The background has been extensively reconstructed to recreate the room and conceal several painted figures. This accounts for the large number of layers in the manipulation as well as a convincing sense of character interaction between the individually inserted figures. Nice work, Jolly!

As a footnote to the historical record, Bobindix is evidently cowering behind the door, having previously instructed the girls to harness the fastest horses to the chariot - although he insisted that he never said anything about taking it for a test drive! However, the family history also records how Brennus Wraggetorix obtained both a new racing chariot and a fearsome revenge upon the Lady Barbara... :eek:

escape_from_the_arena_2_by_bobnearied_dg3k08k-fullview.jpg

(Image hosted on DeviantArt Sta.sh. Full size picture - https://sta.sh/01k66hdjycza )​
She's getting away! Quick get after her. Don't let her escape.

Attachments

• escape_from_the_arena_2_by_bobnearied_dg3k08k-fullview.jpg
    escape_from_the_arena_2_by_bobnearied_dg3k08k-fullview.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 80

MartyrBalloons1.jpg

"Well, we're naked in the arena, @Barbaria1 , surrounded by nasty Romans, so I would guess, yes. But I think they're not quite sure how to proceed now that the bull is already dead."
"Speaking of that, I'm not quite sure what your tactics are, Barb, but you seem to have confused Caesar, at least. He's not sure what to make of you."
"Yeah, I thought the balloons would help with that. I bet he's never seen anything like it."
"Thanks! I'm going for the 'not a threat, so we should let them go' idea. Do you think we might get away with it, Eul?"
"Not a chance then. But thanks for trying. At least we know we won't be tied to the bull."
"Yes, a good try. One for the history books. Something to cheer up the gladiators...afterwards."
"Oh shit!"
This is a clever adaptation of Henryk Siemiradzki's 1897 painting, 'The Christian Dirce'. In the original picture, Nero observes the aftermath of a re-enactment of the death of Dirce, Queen of Thebes, on the horns of a bull. The bull doesn't fare any better, judging by appearances.

Jollyrei has altered the painting subtly, so that we almost fail to notice the absence of Dirce. The garlanded bull remains in situ, but substantial parts of the painting have been removed, and the entrance from beneath the stands is relocated some three metres to the left of its original position.

Having spent considerable time and effort stitching the modified picture back together in a seamless manner, the new figures of Barb and Eul are inserted in the foreground. They are now the main subjects of the composition, and their relative scale, saturation and shadows are all consistent with the original painting.

Jollyrei's text indicates that they are having to think on their feet, or in Eul's case, on her knees. Nero appears confused by the balloons, extracted complete with the figure from Caprice's smiley balloons series. The model for Eul looks familiar - I think she has featured in previous Jollyrei manips, although I am unable to identify her. Nice work, Jolly! :)

Jollyrei has altered the painting subtly, so that we almost fail to notice the absence of Dirce. The garlanded bull remains in situ, but substantial parts of the painting have been removed, and the entrance from beneath the stands is relocated some three metres to the left of its original position.
See? I knew Bob would catch that stuff. I do try to alter things so that people don't notice, but it's a fairly popular painting around CF (has been used several times in manips, including a couple of times by me), and Bob's got a pretty sharp eye.

Jollyrei's text indicates that they are having to think on their feet, or in Eul's case, on her knees. Nero appears confused by the balloons, extracted complete with the figure from Caprice's smiley balloons series.
To be quite honest, I liked a number of the photos from Caprice's balloon series, and I was damn well going to somehow work one into a manip somehow. (Actually, I think I did an earlier manip with another photo from the series somewhere - likely a Cruxton Abbey manip of some sort.). Naturally, there has to be a sort of humour element (martyrs didn't normally carry balloons, to my knowledge), so a short absurd back story was needed.

The model for Eul looks familiar - I think she has featured in previous Jollyrei manips, although I am unable to identify her.
The model for Eul is again Sheri (or Anna, depending on who is taking the photo) - I used the same model to represent Eul in a couple of previous manips. (Actually, Eul could tell me if it looks like a reasonable model to use for her - I'm going on various tidbits of description and depictions/renders that she has sort of endorsed from other artists in the past.) This is a new cutout of Sheri, which I thought had a sort of Romanesque hairstyle (like I know what girls did with their hair in ancient Rome :rolleyes: ).

The model for Eul is again Sheri (or Anna, depending on who is taking the photo) - I used the same model to represent Eul in a couple of previous manips. (Actually, Eul could tell me if it looks like a reasonable model to use for her - I'm going on various tidbits of description and depictions/renders that she has sort of endorsed from other artists in the past.) This is a new cutout of Sheri, which I thought had a sort of Romanesque hairstyle (like I know what girls did with their hair in ancient Rome :rolleyes: ).
Thanks, Jolly - Sheri's name is familiar. She makes a plausible model for Eul, and I believe Boundheat's Sabina Casarova also provides a good likeness. ;)

Boundheat cs 127.jpg

View attachment 1493316

"Oh shit!"
Well, we're supposed to be martyrs, aren't we? And part of the job spec is rejoicing while we're being martyred. Chin up, girl! Give them a nice wide grin! :D

Back
Top Bottom