Random picture thread. (Real photos rather than AI please)

Go to CruxDreams.com
That may have something to with it. But we flew at very altitudes over there, and the ground was always visible. To me it was much the same as view the scenery out of the moving car window. The acrophobia never kicked in for me as long as we were moving.
I did a lot of work on manlifts and scissor lifts. Never bothered me but others it did. The key is to never fixate on the ground. Stare at the ground, become one with the ground.

I did a lot of work on manlifts and scissor lifts. Never bothered me but others it did. The key is to never fixate on the ground. Stare at the ground, become one with the ground.
When I was working as a catenary fitter, I often worked with lifting platforms and cherry pickers. I only found it funny when we took strangers with us (about 30m high). When the wind started to sway the basket slightly, they clung on tightly. That wouldn't have done anything at this altitude anyway.

When I was working as a catenary fitter, I often worked with lifting platforms and cherry pickers. I only found it funny when we took strangers with us (about 30m high). When the wind started to sway the basket slightly, they clung on tightly. That wouldn't have done anything at this altitude anyway.
The most exciting thing that happened to me in a manlift was when some dipshit operator backed into the manlift with a skid steer when I was up about 35 feet.
I called him many bad things.

Those motorcycles have immaculately restored, and are a pleasure to see. #4 and 5 aren't bad either.;)

I love old motorcycles. Many years ago, when I was in Brno with my buddies for a motorcycle race (we weren't allowed to travel to western Europe) and some of the North drove at the classic motorbike races - this sound, a dream. :drive:

I love old motorcycles. Many years ago, when I was in Brno with my buddies for a motorcycle race (we weren't allowed to travel to western Europe) and some of the North drove at the classic motorbike races - this sound, a dream. :drive:
I love the old bikes too. I restored a 1970 Yamaha XS650 for a guy about 10 years ago. It had day in a barn since 1985? or so. https://images.app.goo.gl/1NBeCrtHPDy72FR97

It had the dubious nickname "Ronson' after the famous cigarette lighter because "it would light every time" it was hit. It was considered a death trap when going up against German Tiger tanks.
View attachment 1275718
The Sherman did well in North Africa, where it was facing the similarly armed and armored Panzer iii and IV. This led US not to focus on building a better tank and instead to produce the Sherman in large numbers. When it finally met the Tiger and the Panther after D-Day, it was too late. The Sherman did have the advantage of being reliable and easy to maintain, which the Tiger and especially the Panther were not. It also had a numerical advantage in most battles as well better artillery and air support.

The Sherman did well in North Africa, where it was facing the similarly armed and armored Panzer iii and IV. This led US not to focus on building a better tank and instead to produce the Sherman in large numbers. When it finally met the Tiger and the Panther after D-Day, it was too late. The Sherman did have the advantage of being reliable and easy to maintain, which the Tiger and especially the Panther were not. It also had a numerical advantage in most battles as well better artillery and air support.
Sherman's were a 33 ton medium tank. Tigers were 50-60 ton behemoths. Tigers were also costly and time consuming to build plus they had their own issues. Germany produced about 1300 Tiger tanks in total. America produced over 50,000 Sherman's. Russia produced 50,000 or so T-34's. Tigers were a pain in the ass but not decisive. The other reality was there were no Tigers in the American sector of Normandy. Saving Private Ryan was not historically accurate.
The other factor was the American and British air forces ruled the sky. German tank and supply columns could hardly operate in daylight as they were constantly shot up by the "Jabo's", as Germans referred to the fighter-bombers.

Sherman's were a 33 ton medium tank. Tigers were 50-60 ton behemoths. Tigers were also costly and time consuming to build plus they had their own issues. Germany produced about 1300 Tiger tanks in total. America produced over 50,000 Sherman's. Russia produced 50,000 or so T-34's. Tigers were a pain in the ass but not decisive. The other reality was there were no Tigers in the American sector of Normandy. Saving Private Ryan was not historically accurate.
The other factor was the American and British air forces ruled the sky. German tank and supply columns could hardly operate in daylight as they were constantly shot up by the "Jabo's", as Germans referred to the fighter-bombers.
Mmmm ... the Sherman seriously sucked in a one-on-one duel with a Tiger or Panther, but so did the T34. Of course Firefly Shermans (equipped with the Brit 17 pounder (85mm) gun) could easily kill Panthers and give a Tiger a seriously bad day if they caught it from the side or rear ... but for some reason the US rested this mod. (Canadian Fireflys took out Panzer Ace Michael Wittman's Tiger ... and the rest of his Tiger platoon ... a few days after his single Tiger had effectively wasted a whole Brit armoured division.)

That said the Sherman's big strengths were that it could take out pretty well any other German tank ... including the Mark IV, that its numbers were massive, that its chassis formed the basis of many other US artillery and armoured vehicles, the it was easy to maintain, relatively speedy and adaptable to add features ... like the fork on the front that made the Bocage campaign so much easier for the Allies.

Despite its limitations the Sherman was a war winner.

That said, it was not until 1948-49 that the US has a battle tank worth the name.

Mmmm ... the Sherman seriously sucked in a one-on-one duel with a Tiger or Panther, but so did the T34. Of course Firefly Shermans (equipped with the Brit 17 pounder (85mm) gun) could easily kill Panthers and give a Tiger a seriously bad day if they caught it from the side or rear ... but for some reason the US rested this mod. (Canadian Fireflys took out Panzer Ace Michael Wittman's Tiger ... and the rest of his Tiger platoon ... a few days after his single Tiger had effectively wasted a whole Brit armoured division.)

That said the Sherman's big strengths were that it could take out pretty well any other German tank ... including the Mark IV, that its numbers were massive, that its chassis formed the basis of many other US artillery and armoured vehicles, the it was easy to maintain, relatively speedy and adaptable to add features ... like the fork on the front that made the Bocage campaign so much easier for the Allies.

Despite its limitations the Sherman was a war winner.

That said, it was not until 1948-49 that the US has a battle tank worth the name.
Well, as Stalin said, "Quantity is Quality.," A Sherman crew was probably way more likely to get taken out by a 16 yo kid with a Panzerfaust and some guts then an encounter with Tigers.

Even a God-Emperor should find it difficult to get to me up here!

slavegirl.jpg

Ahh, Lord @Wragg. Where are those rare books you invited me here to Cruxton Abbey to appraise for you? And do you always make such advances when you get a visitor alone in the manor library? I am the village librarian as you well know. People know me wherever I go, and people in the village are quite prone to gossip. So, perhaps we’d best get down to business, don’t you agree?

Back
Top Bottom