Random picture thread. (Real photos rather than AI please)

Go to CruxDreams.com
They used to use these 'comptometers' to work out high volume calculations, such as salaries and wages.

View attachment 1453528

Operating one was skilled work.
It looks like a programmable loathometer!:icon_pc:
This booze was for miners and was given out to the miners for 1.65 (GDR Mark). Those who worked underground received 2 liters per month; those who worked above ground only received one liter.
1711567053378.png How does, according to @Barbaria1 , a bottle of Riesling look like when the limit of two glasses has been reached? :confused:

except for the Chester cheese, which was more rubbery and tasted terrible.
I'm not surprised - tinned, processed cheese that's neither Cheddar nor Cheshire but some dubious imitation hinting at both names, make me feel :boaa: to think of it! Cheddar has a firm texture, and poor quality stuff sold under that name can indeed be rubbery in taste and texture, Cheshire is more crumbly, and milder in taste.

The advantage was that you learned to estimate the result beforehand.
Reading the instructions I thought, using this thing would take at least twice as long as working it out with your brain! One of my elder relatives was a dab hand at using the Comptometer - a skilled operator at a desk big enough for the rather bulky thing was able to do calculations a lot quicker and more efficiently than the early electronic ones (like a skilled touch-typist on a mechanical typewriter versus a one-finger typist on an early computer keyboard)

1f99fe2dc5704244316d6710a4d54fb1.jpg 5d4711039caaf446ef083fe71730c004.jpg 8c2ab92a5ed0a6f106d465576eaebf1d.jpg

According to Humphreys and Waddington, the Jewish lunar calendar allows only two plausible dates during Pontius Pilate's administration for Jesus' death, and both were a Nisan 14 as stated in the Gospel of John: Friday, April 7, 30, and April 3, 33.
163_1000.jpg 174_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom