Random picture thread. (Real photos rather than AI please)

Go to CruxDreams.com
when I served in 1980-81 the rifle of italian Army was the Beretta BM59 7.62x51 mm NATO (.308 Win). In the armoured divisions we had the short version also used by paratroopers and "Alpini"
View attachment 1519237View attachment 1519238
our machine gun was the MG42/59 manufactured by Beretta under german license also in 7.62x51 mm
View attachment 1519246
So the former MG43, converted to the NATO caliber 7.62x51 and with a lower rate of fire, 1200/min-1 instead of 1500. With the option of simply changing a hot barrel. That wasn't possible with the Russian weapons we used. But the parts like the bolt, firing pin, bolt spring and the magazines were the same and could be used in both the assault rifle and the light machine gun.

As far as I know, they are both a design coming from the old Garand M1 making it automatic instead of semi-auto with a removable 20 round magazine. and are very similar even if the Beretta BM 59 was a bit shorter and lighter according to data found in the web.
Correct. The m14 was a garand clone, though idk why it was serviced since the M16 was adopted a couple years after

Correct. The m14 was a garand clone, though idk why it was serviced since the M16 was adopted a couple years after
When I went Army basic training in December '67 we were trained on, and had to qualify with the M14. Weeks later during advanced training I had to train and qualify with the M16. In South Vietnam in mid '68 the M16 was the main weapon issued. There may have been some left over M14's in the country, but I never saw any,

When I went Army basic training in December '67 we were trained on, and had to qualify with the M14. Weeks later during advanced training I had to train and qualify with the M16. In South Vietnam in mid '68 the M16 was the main weapon issued. There may have been some left over M14's in the country, but I never saw any,
Wasn’t there a problem with the 16? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they jammed easily.

Wasn’t there a problem with the 16? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they jammed easily.
I was not in the infantry and cannot comment on its reliabilty from personal experience (I was issued one but didn't carry it on the aircraft during missions). But there was a common belief that the early M16's were prone to jamming and weren't well suited to the conditions they were subjected to. They had to be kept clean at a minimum, including the ammo and magazines.

Back
Top Bottom