Random picture thread. (Real photos rather than AI please)

Go to CruxDreams.com
Looking back at its operational history, I got the impression that the B707 had an undisclosed problem with the control surfaces, leading to several deadly crashes, e.g.:

-Sabena Flight 548 (14 February 1961) : crashed after starting to fly erratically and going out of control, during approach.

-Air France Flight 272 (27 July 1961) : crashed after failing to take off.

-Lufthansa, training flight (4 December 1961) : crashed after unexplained nose-dive.

-American Airlines Flight 1 (1 March 1962) : flipped over after take-off and crashed.

-Air France Flight 007 (3 June 1962) : crashed after failing to take off.

Later on, a few other remarkable accidents occurred (e.g. PIA Flight 705 (crashed on approach, pilot had mentioned flaps problems) and Air France 212 (crashed after take-off).

It was common practice, especially in the first years, to attribute some crashed of jetliners to inexperienced pilots, used to fly with piston engine driven aircraft. But the same had occurred about a decade earlier, when some De Havilland Comet crashed, and it soon turned out to be caused by inflight breaking up of the hull. Secondly, B707’s main competitor, of similar design, DC-8, does not have a comparable accident record.

Trouble was, in these days, neither cockpit voice recorders or ‘black boxes’ (apart from very primitive ones) were mandatory.
Yes there were certainly issues with the 707, particularly the early versions, but then you could say that about most aircraft types, especially back then before the days when the entire aircraft can be modelled and tested in the computer before it ever leaves the design stage (though issues still arise even today, as anyone familiar with the total debacle that has been the 737 Max8 will be very aware)

Regarding the safety record, we need to factor in the number of aircraft produced of a particular type when comparing figures. The 707 sold 1010 aircraft while only 556 DC8 were built.

According to official numbers, the DC8 suffered 84 hull loss incidents (around 15% of the total), resulting in 2255 deaths, while the 707 has 174 hull losses (approx. 17%) with 3039 fatalities in total, so while you can say that the 707 has had more accidents, you need to remember that almost twice as many were in service.

Of course aviation back in the 60s and 70s was much less safe than it is today - growing up I remember hearing about crashes almost every couple of weeks, whereas these days, with thousands more flights every day, major accidents are now very rare. Without wishing to tempt fate, the last major crash here in the UK, involving a commercial passenger airliner and resulting in fatalities was the Kegworth disaster in January 1989 - that's over 35 years ago, which is very impressive. Bear in mind that I'm talking here about commercial passenger flights - there have been a couple of cargo flight crashes since then in which the crew were killed, notably the 1994 Air Algerie crash in Coventry and Korean Air Cargo flight 8509 in 1999 which crashed just after takeoff from London Stanstead airport.

In general, commercial aviation in Europe is much safer than it is in the US, although again we have to factor in the number of flight operations - the US has a great many more flights each day than we do in the UK and Europe so statistically there is a greater chance of accidents occurring.

Guns
1641714953_9-boomba-club-p-nude-girls-and-guns-erotika-10.jpg 1641715041_49-boomba-club-p-nude-girls-and-guns-erotika-50.jpg Waffen3.jpg Waffen4.jpg Waffen6.jpg

#1 Does the gun fire one bullet at a time, or can two be fired at once?
I have no idea.

#4 A handheld Gatling Gun?
Yes, but I would there would be strength and weight requirements to be able to operate it.

#5 This is the most dangerous weapon of all, it can ruin you even if it doesn't shoot you.
You totally get it.

This was the weapon I carried when flying missions in Vietnam.
M79 40mm grenade launcher.
1724266105506.png

Yes. 1968-69.
If you're interested google 'dust off vietnam'. That's what I was doing there.
So you were also in the rescue and evacuation unit, which was definitely not a completely safe job.
I was on the other side of the Iron Curtain as a radio operator and truck driver in a radio reconnaissance and radio communication jamming unit and later as a reservist in a mobile communications cable switching station.

95e4fa9e32de3189fbc6871c67c471d6.jpg 146d9dcf1009dbf4177fc8d68f22354c.jpg 775e2dba68d97a28da3d26b5f228a00b.jpg 6425932ab89425e5b379ca61c9901030.jpg Angel.jpg

handguns again:
In 1910 King Nicholas of Montenegro proclaimed that all male citizens were members of a national militia and had both a right and a duty to own at least one Gasser Pattern revolver under penalty of law to create an armed population that would deter neighbouring countries from attacking Montenegro, which was unable to field a large army. The selected rwvolver was the Gasser 1870
0-img002327A.jpg0-lot.jpg0-MontenegroPIX4TwoRevolvers-1024x615.png

Back
Top Bottom