Random picture thread. (Real photos rather than AI please)

Go to CruxDreams.com
Nah, that's not a gas-pipe - is it? :eek:
Of course not, the fire must be lit the tried and tested old way with steel, flint and tinder fungus.

377-Stratocruiser-Flight-Deck-1945.jpg 16840.jpg 42065dbc90cee07042c02a6adb952857.jpg 166431f56b39be0c69111ee2489eb8ff.jpg c6b00a3a2ba59a01f7e2224c79442c04.jpg

Looks very uncomfortable for medium to long haul flights, in contrast to the passenger cabin, which offered a level of luxury previously unknown in commercial aviation, even including sleeping areas for first class travellers;

Boeing_377_sleeping_arrangements.jpg

The Stratocruiser was indirectly developed from the Boeing B29 bomber (specifically having been developed from the military C97 transport, which itself was based on the B29)

For its day it had a number of innovative features including a pressurised cabin and a lower lounge deck, making it one of the first double-deck passenger airliners. 20 years later, Boeing would return to the double deck idea with the 747, this time moving the lounge deck from the bottom (essentially the space taken up by the B29's bomb bay) to the top just behind the flight deck.

The 747 had originally been designed as a heavy transport, with an hinged nose cone to allow long loads to be taken on board, which is why the flight deck is so high up, necessitating the provision of the upper deck

The Stratocruiser, while groundbreaking in many ways was not profitable for Boeing, mostly due to the relatively short production run (only 56 were ever made), and most of its operators had retired the type within 6-10 years of it entering service, in favour of the faster turbojet powered aircraft such as the hugely successful 707, which was my dad's favourite of all the aircraft he flew. He described it very much as a pilot's plane that had just enough automation to make it relatively easy to fly, but not enough to turn the pilots into passengers,,,

He never got to fly the Stratocruiser though as they had pretty much all been replaced by the time he joined BOAC.

Many of the retired Stratocruisers went on to be converted to transport duties, with several being aquired by Aero Spacelines, where they underwent a series of radical conversions into super-heavy transporters such as the Super Guppy and its variants, which were designed to move large aircraft parts quickly and efficiently. The first of these was called the Pregnant Guppy and was built primarily for NASA to transport sections of the Saturn V. In this archive photo it's very easy to see the 377 Stratocruiser lineage;

1280px-Pregnant_Guppy_NASA.jpg

in favour of the faster turbojet powered aircraft such as the hugely successful 707, which was my dad's favourite of all the aircraft he flew. He described it very much as a pilot's plane that had just enough automation to make it relatively easy to fly, but not enough to turn the pilots into passengers,,,
Looking back at its operational history, I got the impression that the B707 had an undisclosed problem with the control surfaces, leading to several deadly crashes, e.g.:

-Sabena Flight 548 (14 February 1961) : crashed after starting to fly erratically and going out of control, during approach.

-Air France Flight 272 (27 July 1961) : crashed after failing to take off.

-Lufthansa, training flight (4 December 1961) : crashed after unexplained nose-dive.

-American Airlines Flight 1 (1 March 1962) : flipped over after take-off and crashed.

-Air France Flight 007 (3 June 1962) : crashed after failing to take off.

Later on, a few other remarkable accidents occurred (e.g. PIA Flight 705 (crashed on approach, pilot had mentioned flaps problems) and Air France 212 (crashed after take-off).

It was common practice, especially in the first years, to attribute some crashed of jetliners to inexperienced pilots, used to fly with piston engine driven aircraft. But the same had occurred about a decade earlier, when some De Havilland Comet crashed, and it soon turned out to be caused by inflight breaking up of the hull. Secondly, B707’s main competitor, of similar design, DC-8, does not have a comparable accident record.

Trouble was, in these days, neither cockpit voice recorders or ‘black boxes’ (apart from very primitive ones) were mandatory.

So I accepted the job as Tree’s personal secretary onboard his private jet.

The incentives sounded great! All the Riesling I could drink, and travel to exotic places.

Then I found out after it was too late that the small print required that I “service” Bull and Gunner on demand, be nice to Joan Tree, and that by “exotic places” they meant Arkansas.

Photo of me here, taking dictation on one of Tree’s crazy stories, wondering whether and how I might get my undies back from Bull and Gunner, and keeping a wary eye on crazy Joan Tree lurking behind her brother’s back.

The incentives sounded great! All the Riesling I could drink, and travel to exotic places.

Then I found out after it was too late that the small print required that I “service” Bulk and Gunner, be nice to Joan Tree, and that by “exotic places” they meant Arkansas.

Photo of me here, taking dictation on one of Tree’s crazy stories, wondering whether and how I might get my undies back from Bull and Gunner, and keeping a wary eye on crazy Joan Tree lurking behind her brother’s back.
Job of a lifetime :)

Then I found out after it was too late that the small print required that I “service” Bulk and Gunner, be nice to Joan Tree, and that by “exotic places” they meant Arkansas.

Quit complaining, they let you keep your bra!

Military vehicles
35528327_011_2464.jpg 1677764616_naked-chiks-org-p-nude-women-in-the-army-chastnaya-erotika-2.jpg Vickers.jpg WW2-German-Horch-108.jpg [WWII]Swiss-super-light-tank.jpg

Back
Top Bottom