Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
here is Rome in 3D on internet

first colosseum and forum

0007-colosseum.jpg 0008-colosseum.jpg 0009-forum.jpg 0011-forum2.jpg 0012-forum2.jpg
next acquaduct and basmax

0001-acqueduct.jpg 0002-acqueduct.jpg 0003-basmax.jpg 0004-basmax.jpg
circus
0005-circus.jpg 0021-circus_maximus_1.jpg 0023-circus_maximus_2.jpg
here the procedural circus
0013-procedural_circus.jpg 0014-procedural_circus.jpg 0015-procedural_street.jpg 0016-procedural_street.jpg
tiber
0017-tiber.jpg 0031-RR_1.1_Tiber_view.jpg
and

0025-class_II_detail.jpg 0027-RR2_class2-1.jpg 0029-RR2_class2-2.jpg

Last edited:
It will b fun if centurion chain a rebel leader n parading along the city..;)
image-337036576.jpg ...If i was the Cleopetra, instd of drinking poison..i will let Romans to hv fun wz me in their street..:D How abt carrying a cross beam?? It will give me more pleasure...:D

cleopatra a manip i made some years ago.................is it perhaps your dream

cleopatra-crucified-Goddess-of-the-Nile.jpg
and her our late beloved cobra's opinion and truth

truth van cobra.jpg

In a chat about stories with jacksjg89, we got onto discussing arrows -
here's a bit of our exchange:
Do you think the Romans had barbed arrows?

The answer seems to be yes,
roman-arrow.jpg
but there seems to be a very wide variety among arrows associated with the Romans,
probably because their archers were recruited from many different parts of the Empire, especially from remote regions (mountains, forests, steppes etc.) where the kind of cavalry/ infantry warfare the Romans were most familiar with was less effective - and it follows that the arrows of their 'barbarian' enemies were pretty similar.

But I'm really a medieval geek not a classical archaeologist,
I just keep an eye on archaeological news that might be relevant to my interests
(e.g. what kinds of arrows might have been used to martyr virgins? ;)),
I know there are folk around who know much more ....​

Hey. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm looking for various words for female genitalia that might have been used in roman times, if it even matters since I'm looking for English words, not Latin. Specifically, what words might have been used to shame a girl (equivelent to Cynthia and Pussy), how the girl would refer to her own modestly, how she would discuss it jokingly with her lady friends, and words that would be used without any emotion at all. Thank you.

I'm looking for English words, not Latin. Specifically, what words might have been used to shame a girl (equivelent to Cynthia and Pussy), how the girl would refer to her own modestly, how she would discuss it jokingly with her lady friends,
If I understand your query correctly, you want English words that have the same sort of 'levels' as their Latin equivalents?
cunnus would certainly have been offensive if used by a man to a girl, so use the cognate "cunt"
She'd use sinus or fossa with a blush if she had to talk about it in front of men (or senior women),
and probably, with a little giggle, with her friends, so "furrow", "crack" or "ditch" might do.
pudendum/a "shame-part/s" was used as a polite alternative. I'm not sure what Roman medical writers used, certainly not vagina (that was a sheath for a sword), and vulva was the womb. I'll do a bit of research.

Last edited:
:confused::rolleyes:

Actually if you want the English equivalents rather than the Latin originals then the works of Shakespeare might offer a clue or three ;) as perhaps other period works from that era.

As Eulalia notes vaginas started out as sword sheaths and several languages make colloquial use of sword for penis :p

The ideal of a Roman woman was that she be somewhat frigid and disinterested in sex but of course to get ahead and get noticed a woman of high circles needed to be able to entice and enthral men "In the dining room a cock-teaser, in the bedroom an ice-block' Said Caelius whilst impugning Clodia Metelli. Though funnily enough his speech at that trial was rather overshadowed by some chap called Cicero.

To put it simply though any reasonable circumlocution that sounds apt ought to work as none of us were on the streets of Rome from the last Century BC to the Third Century AD to have sufficient knowledge of customary speech to gainsay you :D

To put it simply though any reasonable circumlocution that sounds apt ought to work as none of us were on the streets of Rome from the last Century BC to the Third Century AD to have sufficient knowledge of customary speech to gainsay you :D- RR

Actually, I was but they only had wine which I don't handle so well... Sorry, I don't remember....

Tree

:oops:

I think it was on the earlier, crashed, version of this thread that I recommended
The Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World
http://press.princeton.edu/titles/6773.html
it's by far the best resource for anyone wanting to research for a reasonably historically accurate 'Roman' story,
but it costs an arm and a leg, though if you've got access to a library that has it you're in luck.
And now you can get it as an (exclusive) app for i-pad at a giveaway price
http://press.princeton.edu/apps/barrington-atlas/
you could even buy an i-pad and still have plenty left from the cost of the book version!
(PS I have no vested interest in Princeton UP or Apple
only in understanding the darker corners of the ancient world! ;))​

Circus_Maximus.JPG
After the 6th century, the Circus fell into disuse and decay, and was quarried for building materials. The lower levels, ever prone to flooding, were gradually buried under waterlogged alluvial soil and accumulated debris, so that the original track is now buried 6m beneath the modern surface. In the 11th century, the Circus was "replaced by dwellings rented out by the congregation of Saint-Guy."[47] In the 12th, a watercourse was dug there to drain the soil, and by the 1500s the area was used as a market garden;[48] Many of the Circus' standing structures survived these changes; in 1587, two obelisks were removed from the central barrier by Pope Sixtus V, and one of these was re-sited at the Piazza del Popolo. Mid 19th century workings at the circus site uncovered the lower parts of a seating tier and outer portico. Since then, a series of excavations has exposed further sections of the seating, curved turn and central barrier but further exploration has been limited by the scale, depth and waterlogging of the site.[49]

The Circus site now functions as a large park area, in the centre of the city. It is often used for concerts and meetings. TheRome concert of Live 8 (July 2, 2005) was held there, as was the Italian World Cup 2006 victory celebration. The English bandGenesis performed a concert before an estimated audience of 500,000 people in 2007. This was filmed and released as When in Rome 2007.

After the 6th century, the Circus fell into disuse and decay, and was quarried for building materials. The lower levels, ever prone to flooding, were gradually buried under waterlogged alluvial soil and accumulated debris, so that the original track is now buried 6m beneath the modern surface. In the 11th century, the Circus was "replaced by dwellings rented out by the congregation of Saint-Guy."[47] In the 12th, a watercourse was dug there to drain the soil, and by the 1500s the area was used as a market garden;[48] Many of the Circus' standing structures survived these changes; in 1587, two obelisks were removed from the central barrier by Pope Sixtus V, and one of these was re-sited at the Piazza del Popolo. Mid 19th century workings at the circus site uncovered the lower parts of a seating tier and outer portico. Since then, a series of excavations has exposed further sections of the seating, curved turn and central barrier but further exploration has been limited by the scale, depth and waterlogging of the site.[49]

The Circus site now functions as a large park area, in the centre of the city. It is often used for concerts and meetings. TheRome concert of Live 8 (July 2, 2005) was held there, as was the Italian World Cup 2006 victory celebration. The English bandGenesis performed a concert before an estimated audience of 500,000 people in 2007. This was filmed and released as When in Rome 2007.
Thank you,you really did your homework!

Back
Top Bottom