Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
(It's in Latin, so you may need to use Google and translate)
The article doesn't mention its use as a chamber pot, however, a boat shaped vessel would make sense for a woman anatomically.
There were economic reasons for collecting urine. When urine is allowed to ferment, it develops a high concentration of ammonia and was used in cleaning clothes, dyeing wool and tanning hides until the Industrial Revolution. It was also used to make gunpowder, but the Roman's didn't know about that. Urine was so valuable that Nero imposed a tax on it, the vectigal urinae, which was continued by Vespasian. The modern French, Italian and Romanian words for a urinal are vespasiennes, vespasiani, vespasiene, respectively.
owl-teacher-professor-clip-art-png.jpg

The article doesn't mention its use as a chamber pot, however, a boat shaped vessel would make sense for a woman anatomically.
There were economic reasons for collecting urine. When urine is allowed to ferment, it develops a high concentration of ammonia and was used in cleaning clothes, dyeing wool and tanning hides until the Industrial Revolution. It was also used to make gunpowder, but the Roman's didn't know about that. Urine was so valuable that Nero imposed a tax on it, the vectigal urinae, which was continued by Vespasian. The modern French, Italian and Romanian words for a urinal are vespasiennes, vespasiani, vespasiene, respectively.
View attachment 1325142
Thanks!

Next question... in a Rome-set novel I once read a magistrate arrested someone with "leather manacles". Does anyone know anything about these?

A manacle (noun) is a handcuff or shackle. It is generally used in the plural. They can be made with leather, metal, ropes, etc.
Manacles 04.jpgManacles 05.jpgManacles 01.jpg

In 1993, Hugh Thompson published a 112 pages long study of Iron Age and Roman slave's shackles:

“As part of a wider study of the archaeological evidence for slavery in the ancient world, this paper deals with the typology, mechanism, chronology, and distribution of iron age and Roman slave-shackles. These are subdivided into neck-shackles, manacles (for hands), and fetters (for feet). The distribution of iron age examples defines a trading pattern between the Celtic and Roman worlds. The preponderance of Roman types a) on the limes and b) in Gaul and Britain suggests the role of the military in slave-taking on the one hand and the use of slaves in agriculture on the other. Separate sections deal briefly with the Pompeian material, the physiological evidence for shackles (including Greece), and animal hobbles of the iron age and recent date. A catalogue of the material is appended.

(Hugh Thompson (1993) Iron Age and Roman Slave-Shackles, Archaeological Journal, 150:1, 57-168, DOI: 10.1080/00665983.1993.11078055. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00665983.1993.11078055)

View attachment 1325142
noctua, cicuma, spinturnix
apparently they also had distinct names for specific owls: bubo, strix/ulula. I didn't know there was a latin wikipedia. They are always asking for money, so it seems an unnecessary expense to have one in a dead language. Maybe the Vatican Bank funds it. I wonder who writes for it.
It appears they are trying to set one up in ancient greek as well.

noctua, cicuma, spinturnix
apparently they also had distinct names for specific owls: bubo, strix/ulula. I didn't know there was a latin wikipedia. They are always asking for money, so it seems an unnecessary expense to have one in a dead language. Maybe the Vatican Bank funds it. I wonder who writes for it.
It appears they are trying to set one up in ancient greek as well.
History geeks, language nerds, people like us.
Why would a Latin translation of Winnie the Pooh wind up on the NY Times Bestsellers List (1958, 20 weeks, the first foreign language book to make the list)?
pooh.jpg
Harry Potter, The Cat in the Hat, and The Hobbit have gotten the same treatment.

One for the story writers and image makers, and those interested in public nudity and shame in ancient Roman society.
Villa San Marco, Stabiae, Room 50, painted figures carrying offerings.
The man on the right is from the east end of the north wall in the north-east corner.
The woman on the left is from the east wall in the north-east corner.
In the Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 8891.

Villa San Marco, Stabiae, Room 50.jpg

One for the story writers and image makers, and those interested in public nudity and shame in ancient Roman society.
The man on the right is from the east end of the north wall in the north-east corner.

View attachment 1329055
My story would begin : “It was an unusually hot day at the temple that day…”
An ancient take on “It was a dark and stormy night”….

View attachment 1329055
I guess everything depends on context. Statues certainly had lots of nudity, even for dieties. Gladiators (men and women) didn't wear much. Nobody is fat, though. It's kind of like today's pop music, I guess.

I guess everything depends on context. Statues certainly had lots of nudity, even for dieties. Gladiators (men and women) didn't wear much. Nobody is fat, though. It's kind of like today's pop music, I guess.
I've mentioned this before, but, until modern times, fatness was a sign of wealth. The upper class could afford to eat large amounts of food and didn't burn off the calories through manual labor. In Renaissance Italian cities, the ruler upper class were referred to as the popolo grasso (fat people); and not in an insulting way.
The ideal of beauty in Roman times was bit more zoftig than ours today, although I would hardly call it fat.
romansculp1.jpgapollo-belvedere-vatican-museums_orig.jpgromansculp2.jpgvenus-de-milo-min.jpg

I've mentioned this before, but, until modern times, fatness was a sign of wealth. The upper class could afford to eat large amounts of food and didn't burn off the calories through manual labor. In Renaissance Italian cities, the ruler upper class were referred to as the popolo grasso (fat people); and not in an insulting way.
The ideal of beauty in Roman times was bit more zoftig than ours today, although I would hardly call it fat.
View attachment 1331623View attachment 1331624View attachment 1331625View attachment 1331626
Well, that idea explains Henry VIII, "Great Harry". In classical times, men seem to be depicted as muscular--especially the imperial statues. I doubt most emperors, especially in their later years, were really in that kind of shape. I assume the armor they wore was sculpted, and the togas hid bodily detail otherwise.
There isn't a breast fetish. There is also an emphasis on wide hips (unlike today) and prominent uterus "bumps", I assume to highlight fertility.
The statues were originally painted, but it's mostly gone, so we can't tell much about chest hair.

As a crucifixion nail?

View attachment 1353736

Bit of overkill. But it would make sense if you wanted to nail her through both heels.

View attachment 1353743
Tree does not recommend crucifying a woman with her ankles together with her legs pointing the same way. It will still kill her but it allows her far too much modesty as she succumbs to her cross...

Tree does not recommend crucifying a woman with her ankles together with her legs pointing the same way. It will still kill her but it allows her far too much modesty as she succumbs to her cross...
But @Andyman has shown this is not necessarily the case. :rolleyes:

IMG_5478.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom