The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
Well, this is my roof this morning:
4BaysideRoof02.jpg
So I guess some work will need to be done shortly to fix that. Could be worse - seems that there are at least 2 people killed by flying debris or tree branches falling on them. Our neighbourhood looks pretty calm by comparison. Of course, today is calm, sunny, and warm. Good day for outdoor crux in the park (not that people in my neighbourhood would be doing that, but a man can dream).

Well, this is my roof this morning:
View attachment 584134
So I guess some work will need to be done shortly to fix that. Could be worse - seems that there are at least 2 people killed by flying debris or tree branches falling on them. Our neighbourhood looks pretty calm by comparison. Of course, today is calm, sunny, and warm. Good day for outdoor crux in the park (not that people in my neighbourhood would be doing that, but a man can dream).
It looks like Barb and Siss drove over it!!!

I didn't say you did drive over it!!!
Certainly if they're going to get the Mustang up there, they could at least not peel rubber when they gun the engines. The tires wreak merry hell on the roof decking.

9E118B2C-82BB-476F-91CC-B716BFE6AF8B.jpeg Come on guys! Don’t rush me. Daedevil automotive feats require careful planning and preparation!

Come on guys! Don’t rush me. Daedevil automotive feats require careful planning and preparation!
...and ignoring the fine print!!!
And, apparently, you have to look good while doing them too.:rolleyes: Makes sense, I suppose. Anything else is just quackery.:cool::devil:
Barb does like a nice ride. ;)
Barb-caddy.jpg

A standard time in the uk didn't happen until the development of the railways when a timetable demanded a time that was common to all. Before then each town operated on local time that was governed by the sun
.It is true that ships set their chronometers by Greenwich midday being signale by the dropping of a ball on the roof of the observatory.

Oxford is 51° 44' 60" N, 1° 15' 24" W. So Oxford Time is 5 minutes and 2 seconds behind Greenwich Time. At 9.05pm (9.00pm "Oxford Time") every evening Great Tom, Christ Church College's famous bell, rings out 101 times. This dates from the foundation of the college when the bell rang once for each of the college's original 101 students, in order to tell them to return to the college before the gates were locked. The bell then remains silent until 8am the next morning when it returns to striking every hour, on the hour (Greenwich Time) until 9pm in the evening.

I think all the ancient civilisations had some time-measuring technology - water clocks, candles, sundials etc.
and the division of the day and night into 12 hours each goes back a long way - apparently to ancient Egypt.
But of course the length of the day and night varies according to the seasons, even in Egypt,
much more in parts of the world nearer the poles.
It seems the Egyptians got over this by having 10 equal hours that could be measured by water-clocks,
with two variable hours of twilight each morning and evening.
The 'hours' mentioned in the Bible (e.g. in the account of the Passion) would have been one twelfth of the time from sunrise to sunset,
and the liturgical hours of the medieval monastic day and night were likewise variable.
It was only when chronometers were invented so sailors could determine longtitude
that the need for strictly fixed-length units became over-riding,
and only when railways began to cross the land did nations find a need to regularise their time-zones.

I know that the French Revolutionary government tried to put in a 100 minute hour to go along with the metric system, but it didn't catch on. If it had, the world might use that as they do the meter, gram etc. (all except the US of course:rolleyes:)
We have more sense than that!!!

I know that the French Revolutionary government tried to put in a 100 minute hour to go along with the metric system, but it didn't catch on. If it had, the world might use that as they do the meter, gram etc. (all except the US of course:rolleyes:)
That would make a 24 hour day into a 14.4 hour day, which would be a bit awkward. A solar day, which is 23 hours, 56 minutes would be 14.36 hours. Beginning to see why it didn't catch on.

That would make a 24 hour day into a 14.4 hour day, which would be a bit awkward. A solar day, which is 23 hours, 56 minutes would be 14.36 hours. Beginning to see why it didn't catch on.
No, you misunderstand. There would still be 24 hours in a day, but they would be divided into 100 minutes each, so only the length of a minute would change. Except in New York, where the minutes are shorter anyway.:D

No, you misunderstand. There would still be 24 hours in a day, but they would be divided into 100 minutes each, so only the length of a minute would change. Except in New York, where the minutes are shorter anyway.:D
Are we not men???

WE ARE DEVO!!!

That would make a minute equal to 36 seconds (3,600 seconds to an hour). I think that would be a New York minute.;)
I don't think many clocks could measure seconds in the 1790s, so that might have been doable.
On the other hand, the 4 minute mile record would still be unbroken, as it would be 2.4 of our minutes. The current record is 3: 43.13 set by Hicham El Guerrouj in 1999.

Back
Top Bottom