The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I think, if I understand correctly, that Malins is saying that the reason these issues are coming up in the context of this sort of ruling at all is because these issues are now at the forefront of debate in society, and societies across the globe (at least in N. America and Europe) are trying to come to grips with how to cope with this stuff. The trans-women in sport issue raised by PrPr is a case in point. This is why courts are being very careful (in many cases) to keep their decisions very tightly within the bounds of very specific points under consideration (like whether a doctor is letting their personal beliefs get in the way of treating people with dignity when they are doing a job not related to whether the person believes or acts in a way that the doctor finds personally objectionable). Anyway, I'm not convinced we're all necessarily disagreeing with each other. ;)

Did anyone answer what the hell is the difference between "LG" and "Q"
I always thought everyone not "straight" is "Q", but while L and G may both be Q, all Q is not L and G. It's a wiggly world.

I think, if I understand correctly, that Malins is saying that the reason these issues are coming up in the context of this sort of ruling at all is because these issues are now at the forefront of debate in society, and societies across the globe (at least in N. America and Europe) are trying to come to grips with how to cope with this stuff. The trans-women in sport issue raised by PrPr is a case in point. This is why courts are being very careful (in many cases) to keep their decisions very tightly within the bounds of very specific points under consideration (like whether a doctor is letting their personal beliefs get in the way of treating people with dignity when they are doing a job not related to whether the person believes or acts in a way that the doctor finds personally objectionable).
That would be reading in good faith. Thanks Jolly.

Just another example. Next month we will have a consultation in school about the content of sexual education. (Second grade elementary school).
It's going to be interesting to hear the opinions from the various backgrounds if they dare to speak. For instance we have a Ghanaian girl from a very Christian family who is literally named for a section of the Scripture. And of course some kids from Muslim families. The plurality is non-denominational though and doesn't go to any religious classes. There is sometimes tension in such situations between the secular approach of the plurality and the more traditionally religious, many (but not all) of which are from immigrant backgrounds.
I'm well aware that there have been instances of conflict about sex ed programs and immigrant faith communities in other Western countries. Again, the specific legalities of how school boards or the Ministry of Culture or whatever in one state legislates on that or not may be less what is interesting from an international perspective than the more general approach to the problem, do we integrate or marginalize these more traditional, or less compromising, religiosities.

Anyway, I'm not convinced we're all necessarily disagreeing with each other. ;)

Actually no, the fundamental disagreement is that some folks believe the west is unravelling while others such as I believe it is trying to progress to higher set of achievements instead.

It is building something and binding in the previously excluded not seeking to exclude the previously privileged that is the aim. Obviously some effort has to be spent safe guarding against the creation of a new set of outcasts as much as possible. Thus there are certain problems with recent guidelines (for example the recently submitted equality framework in Scotland, note that is submitted not approved because of issues raised concerning changes) in that regard but those ought to be discussed in a suitable context.

I always thought everyone not "straight" is "Q", but while L and G may both be Q, all Q is not L and G. It's a wiggly world.

Well many of the letters in LGBTQ serve multiple roles because life is confusing.

Actually no, the fundamental disagreement is that some folks believe the west is unravelling while others such as I believe it is trying to progress to higher set of achievements instead.
That of course seeing it from inside the perspective that calls itself the 'higher' one, willing to accept horrific damages in the name of the envisioned future greatest good.

I'd say take a step back and come to one thing we should be able to recognize as fact, instead of disagreement:

'The west' has become multicultural.

It's just that the different cultures present aren't just one homogenous 'majority' culture and some 'minority', 'indigenous' or 'immigrant' ones.

The illusory majority culture in fact consists of separate strands that in terms of their values have no more in common with each other than with any of the 'othered' cultures.

That means if people like RR and I are ever to communicate productively it can only be either in closely delineated areas where neither of our cultural values are infringed upon (like fantasy stories), or with very clear a priori definitions all the way down to what the meaning of is, is.
Probably most of our conflict comes from a mistaken assumption of shared culture.

Probably most of our conflict comes from a mistaken assumption of shared culture.
Anyway signing off for tonight.
I mentioned the sex ed consultation in our school. I've been talking a bit with the mother of one of the Muslim kids and we actually went to topics like abortion, gay rights etc. Interesting, nuanced, and (islamically) researched beliefs on her part -- though very different than what's mainstream here. Seriously not identical to traditional Christian either. The reason I'm mentioning this is that it was actually way easier having this discussion with her across the cultural boundary, than say any abortion discussion within 'Western culture' as we both started from a) being friendly but b) assuming the other held a very different position we didn't want to be outraged by though. While we didn't exactly meet in the middle I think she went away recognizing me as much less degenerately atheistic than she assumed ;) and I picked up some interesting interpretations from her.

In American terms, if Blue and Red supporters are afraid of meeting up with followers of the other side at the Thanksgiving dinner maybe try out that trick at the back of your mind -- pretend they're literally part of a different culture. Then you may find more things in common than you expected.

The illusory majority culture in fact consists of separate strands that in terms of their values have no more in common with each other than with any of the 'othered' cultures.
I find this an interesting point to consider.
Frankly, I still think you're both talking around each other and don't have that much difference of opinion, but don't look at me. I'm just an anthropomorphic personification. ;)

That of course seeing it from inside the perspective that calls itself the 'higher' one, willing to accept horrific damages in the name of the envisioned future greatest good.

I'd say take a step back and come to one thing we should be able to recognize as fact, instead of disagreement:

'The west' has become multicultural.

It's just that the different cultures present aren't just one homogenous 'majority' culture and some 'minority', 'indigenous' or 'immigrant' ones.

That means if people like RR and I are ever to communicate productively it can only be either in closely delineated areas where neither of our cultural values are infringed upon (like fantasy stories), or with very clear a priori definitions all the way down to what the meaning of is, is.

But what horrific damages? I see a culture with an outlook that is trying to minimise damage. Multi does not preclude a singular whole as demonstrated by the Portuguese Men'O'War washing up on beaches near this rodent at the moment. These are unthinking creatures (at least in our frame of reference) and yet create a working entity.

Now I would agree with you that there are always going to be multiple aspects to any culture, sub-cultures of you will.

The aim is not to avoid the conflict of ideas but to restrain and if possible remove as many forms of violence as possible. I would also disagree with you that we do not share cultures, we share many cultures at least some of which can be cultivated on a petri-dish. We do however have a very divergent outlook on matters but that I would contend is not the result of culture.

Queer can refer to non-binary, though I suspect you should be isolating as GQ for gender queer or again non-binary. L is lesbian
Well OK there's a lesbian couple who have their kid in the same class as my son. They are ridiculously 'normal' people in every way except they don't conform to 'heteronormativity'. They don't do any gender weirdness with their daughter either. They have nothing in common with performative 'queerness'.

Or think Pete Buttigieg. Gay but not queer. Pretty square actually.

Also, above couple had to go through 26 applications to get their daughter into a kindergarten. While hard to prove legally it was obvious discrimination. This is where I'm on board with L or G people for their rights.

I'm not sure all people rolled up into the "LGBTQ..." acronym even consider themselves one community.
If you ask some 'L's they may have some non-communitarian thoughts about certain kinds of T's demanding to have access to their spaces.
I don't get all this. I remember when I became 'wrong' to call LGs queer and now they are different???

I should sleep.

The STL Cardinals won their series... Is this OK?

The St. L. Cardinals won with a record setting first inning and an ex-Dodger hit a grand slam homerun to give the Washington Nationals the win over the LA Dodgers. Somehow the Cardinals have the home-field advantage. I have plenty of Seagram's... Series start 10-11 (Tomorrow, here)...

I find this an interesting point to consider.
I think it can help ... because if one is assuming that the other side is arguing from shared values you (the generic you, not the Jollyrei you) will often get even more offended when confronted with something that assaults your moral foundations.

You'll feel that nobody can *really* believe what they're saying and so it feels as if they're just using some made up excuse to be evil.

Such as, no educated person in the West in this day and age can *really* believe that life begins at conception, that is just a feigned religious argument behind whch stands the actual goal of controlling women's bodies, and enforcing misogyny.

This is a problem, because now you aren't just disagreeing, you're also assuming that the other person is coming from a position of bad faith - not putting forward honest concerns but just smokescreens for a nefarious ulterior motive.

And of course you're making the mistake of assuming you can read their mind.
This actually happens very easily to all of us.

If you approach it from the viewpoint of 'they're coming from a different culture' you might be able to inspect whether 'evil nefarious' is really the most parsimonous explanation for the other side's position.

Also we generally accept that other cultures have a self-evident right to exist.

But then it's common to hear that certain convictions from inside our historical cultural background 'can have no place in this society' ... even if they're not dissimilar from views held in other cultures that are accepted by our society.

'Oikophobia' is one explanation for that.
But the other is that people are assuming 'our society' consists of a homogenous 'majority culture', and then add to that some other cultures that exist beside.
Having divergences within our 'majority' that are sometimes similar in degree to those between cultures isn't accepted - it's felt within the 'majority', there must be a decisive victory for one side in the struggle for seizing the means of discourse production.

However if you accept the idea of cultural strands running separate but parallel, that have their intrinsic right to exist just like the immigrant cultures, coexistence may be easier. (Because let's be honest here, most of the culture wars is within the 'majority' culture)

And seriously I have to apply that approach to myself right now, a good exercise.

Because, to come back to where I started ... looking at the situation with very young juveniles, adolescents, even children, being funneled towards a sequence of puberty blockers, hormone therapy and finally surgery ... all on the grounds of entirely dubious claims to being able to diagnose in children with irreversible and infallible certainty a 'gender dysphoria' that means 'a person is born in the wrong body' and therefore must have their body altered ....

I think the evidence is out there for all to see that tremendous harm is being done.

This has been boiling out of sight for some years mostly because intersectional progressives have indeed, gained a hegemony on the production of discourse with regard to 'gender theory'.

However by now it's been picked up even by the mainstream as at the very least a danger that deserves investigation.

It's an assault on my moral foundations to hear this brushed off with "But what horrific damages?". And claiming that progressivism is trying to 'minimise damage' when it has actually introduced an entirely new way of irreversibly damaging people from the most vulnerable groups of society, in the most vulnerable phases of their lives.

My natural reaction is visceral moral outrage at the suffering inflicted there being so completely brushed off with no consideration at all and it would be very easy to jump to the conclusion that this denial is just an instance of tolerating an obvious evil in order to attain ideological goals.

But that would be exactly the thought trap I tried to outline above so I'll take a deep breath and conclude that RR's denial that there's any damage here comes from being part of different cultural strands

Because I do see how progressivism, which is deeply involved with the ideas behind transgenderism, can cause its followers to be unable to conceptualize that suffering.

Progressivism views people along how they fit into groups involved in an exercise of power along the axis of Oppressor and Oppressed and while 'trans' is clearly seen as the 'Oppressed' versus the 'Oppressor' of heteronormative cis-patriarchy ...

... well here you have unhappy pubescent kids who suffer from some combinations out of a grab bag of sexual identity crisis, variant body dysmorphic syndomes, medication side effects of SSRI, isolation, autism, depression, OCD, social pressures and whatnot more, and they get diagnosed as having 'gender dysphoria' very rapidly (sometimes in a single session) and are set off on the course of 'transition' as a 'solution' .

These people do not easily form a group for progressives to recognize along the axis of exertion of power, they are just a jumble of individuals, and also - it's an inside conflict, not one between power groups.

Then there are also aspects of the juvenile transition situation that cause cognitive dissonance for progressives, ...

... such as that a large number of young girls sent down the transition path are lesbians whose lives have been made hell by homophobia and instead of removing the homophobia you're now mutilating the girls.

(This is what Iran of course does as a matter of policy... in same sex couples one has to 'transition' so that they can be 'straight')

... this means that the progressive enthusiasm for 'trans' enables homophobia and ... you are looking at an even darker mirror version of 'conversion therapy' ... it's better to deny the existence of this dilemma.

Postmodern transgender ideology replaces the idea of an 'innateness' of being a man or woman (regardless of orientation gay, straight,whatever) with that of a 'constructed' identity. This sits well with progressive ideas of dismantling systems of oppression based on supposedly 'innate' superiorities (race, etc).

However you end up with another 'innate' property -- the idea that a very young child can definitely know that 'they were born in the wrong body'. Ridiculously this is often diagnosed by 'non-conforming' behavior (girl plays with 'boy typical' toys, puts on boy clothes ... let's head for the gender clinic!) so you end up judging by the most stereotypical perceptions of gender roles (which progressives should question! But now they're assumed as the source of identity!).

All ideologies have some point where they run counter to their own goal, all ideologies will have inherent contradictions, and it's a natural reaction to gloss over them.

Nevertheless there absolutely is terrifying harm there. I'll have to stress that I'm not saying 'trans doesn't exist' but the very simple observation that juvenile transgender identification happens in epidemiological clusters tells us something. Anyone who really maintains that this is all innate, there is no misdiagnosis of transition-requiring gender dysphoria not ever, is not taking reality into account.

Since one of the outcomes of puberty blocking and early hormonal transition is sterility, and that is of course inevitable if you do full removal surgeries... what we are looking at is...

... an ideology is used in state-run clinics
... to sterilize...
... a vulnerable and defenseless minority ...

and that ideology isn't fascism, racism, colonialism etc, ... this time round it's progressivism ...

Anyway, since I referred to the effects transgender ideology has on kids who trend towards same-sex attraction while growing up -- but am myself mostly straight -- if you think I'm guilty of some sort of cultural appropriation or 'stealing other's voices' by mentioning concerns of L/G/B people without being part of that community, here's just one voice from that community.

It's worth reading and I won't bother anyone with a hundred more like it.

I think it can help ... because if one is assuming that the other side is arguing from shared values you (the generic you, not the Jollyrei you) will often get even more offended when confronted with something that assaults your moral foundations.

You'll feel that nobody can *really* believe what they're saying and so it feels as if they're just using some made up excuse to be evil.

Such as, no educated person in the West in this day and age can *really* believe that life begins at conception, that is just a feigned religious argument behind whch stands the actual goal of controlling women's bodies, and enforcing misogyny.

This is a problem, because now you aren't just disagreeing, you're also assuming that the other person is coming from a position of bad faith - not putting forward honest concerns but just smokescreens for a nefarious ulterior motive.

And of course you're making the mistake of assuming you can read their mind.
This actually happens very easily to all of us.

If you approach it from the viewpoint of 'they're coming from a different culture' you might be able to inspect whether 'evil nefarious' is really the most parsimonous explanation for the other side's position.

Also we generally accept that other cultures have a self-evident right to exist.

But then it's common to hear that certain convictions from inside our historical cultural background 'can have no place in this society' ... even if they're not dissimilar from views held in other cultures that are accepted by our society.

'Oikophobia' is one explanation for that.
But the other is that people are assuming 'our society' consists of a homogenous 'majority culture', and then add to that some other cultures that exist beside.
Having divergences within our 'majority' that are sometimes similar in degree to those between cultures isn't accepted - it's felt within the 'majority', there must be a decisive victory for one side in the struggle for seizing the means of discourse production.

However if you accept the idea of cultural strands running separate but parallel, that have their intrinsic right to exist just like the immigrant cultures, coexistence may be easier. (Because let's be honest here, most of the culture wars is within the 'majority' culture)

And seriously I have to apply that approach to myself right now, a good exercise.

Because, to come back to where I started ... looking at the situation with very young juveniles, adolescents, even children, being funneled towards a sequence of puberty blockers, hormone therapy and finally surgery ... all on the grounds of entirely dubious claims to being able to diagnose in children with irreversible and infallible certainty a 'gender dysphoria' that means 'a person is born in the wrong body' and therefore must have their body altered ....

I think the evidence is out there for all to see that tremendous harm is being done.

This has been boiling out of sight for some years mostly because intersectional progressives have indeed, gained a hegemony on the production of discourse with regard to 'gender theory'.

However by now it's been picked up even by the mainstream as at the very least a danger that deserves investigation.

It's an assault on my moral foundations to hear this brushed off with "But what horrific damages?". And claiming that progressivism is trying to 'minimise damage' when it has actually introduced an entirely new way of irreversibly damaging people from the most vulnerable groups of society, in the most vulnerable phases of their lives.

My natural reaction is visceral moral outrage at the suffering inflicted there being so completely brushed off with no consideration at all and it would be very easy to jump to the conclusion that this denial is just an instance of tolerating an obvious evil in order to attain ideological goals.

But that would be exactly the thought trap I tried to outline above so I'll take a deep breath and conclude that RR's denial that there's any damage here comes from being part of different cultural strands

Because I do see how progressivism, which is deeply involved with the ideas behind transgenderism, can cause its followers to be unable to conceptualize that suffering.

Progressivism views people along how they fit into groups involved in an exercise of power along the axis of Oppressor and Oppressed and while 'trans' is clearly seen as the 'Oppressed' versus the 'Oppressor' of heteronormative cis-patriarchy ...

... well here you have unhappy pubescent kids who suffer from some combinations out of a grab bag of sexual identity crisis, variant body dysmorphic syndomes, medication side effects of SSRI, isolation, autism, depression, OCD, social pressures and whatnot more, and they get diagnosed as having 'gender dysphoria' very rapidly (sometimes in a single session) and are set off on the course of 'transition' as a 'solution' .

These people do not easily form a group for progressives to recognize along the axis of exertion of power, they are just a jumble of individuals, and also - it's an inside conflict, not one between power groups.

Then there are also aspects of the juvenile transition situation that cause cognitive dissonance for progressives, ...

... such as that a large number of young girls sent down the transition path are lesbians whose lives have been made hell by homophobia and instead of removing the homophobia you're now mutilating the girls.

(This is what Iran of course does as a matter of policy... in same sex couples one has to 'transition' so that they can be 'straight')

... this means that the progressive enthusiasm for 'trans' enables homophobia and ... you are looking at an even darker mirror version of 'conversion therapy' ... it's better to deny the existence of this dilemma.

Postmodern transgender ideology replaces the idea of an 'innateness' of being a man or woman (regardless of orientation gay, straight,whatever) with that of a 'constructed' identity. This sits well with progressive ideas of dismantling systems of oppression based on supposedly 'innate' superiorities (race, etc).

However you end up with another 'innate' property -- the idea that a very young child can definitely know that 'they were born in the wrong body'. Ridiculously this is often diagnosed by 'non-conforming' behavior (girl plays with 'boy typical' toys, puts on boy clothes ... let's head for the gender clinic!) so you end up judging by the most stereotypical perceptions of gender roles (which progressives should question! But now they're assumed as the source of identity!).

All ideologies have some point where they run counter to their own goal, all ideologies will have inherent contradictions, and it's a natural reaction to gloss over them.

Nevertheless there absolutely is terrifying harm there. I'll have to stress that I'm not saying 'trans doesn't exist' but the very simple observation that juvenile transgender identification happens in epidemiological clusters tells us something. Anyone who really maintains that this is all innate, there is no misdiagnosis of transition-requiring gender dysphoria not ever, is not taking reality into account.

Since one of the outcomes of puberty blocking and early hormonal transition is sterility, and that is of course inevitable if you do full removal surgeries... what we are looking at is...

... an ideology is used in state-run clinics
... to sterilize...
... a vulnerable and defenseless minority ...

and that ideology isn't fascism, racism, colonialism etc, ... this time round it's progressivism ...

Except that is not what is going on. The medical profession is groping towards an understanding of gender identity and how best to assist those who do not identity with their apparent gender identity. The issue is that for many as speedy a transition as possible provides the best outcome. The complicating factor is that there also many instances of children being diagnosed with gender-dysphoria where the opposite applies, the best solution being to delay irreversible action while counselling and understanding the underlying issues which may relate to other factors and result in the young adult preferring not to transition.

Throw in that there are many degrees of transition and life is complicated.

The problem with accusing my approach of inflicting "horrible damages" is that not to follow my approach which to try and update practice to reflect the best and most substantiated knowledge is also to inflict horrible harms. Indeed the insinuation there is some dark conspiracy of progressivism (which is a political creed more to do with economic action than medical ethical) to destroy the old morale certainties is perhaps an even worse damage creating a climate of fear, reaction and intolerance out of a tissue of misapprehensions and misrepresentations.

Any idealogical conflict is at the fringes of a debate within the medical profession about the most ethical and patient life enhancing approach to gender issues.

Some time ago you recommended to me, to read a certain book to inform myself.

I bought that book, and read it beginning to end. (except one chapter)

And gave you my feedback.

I processed and considered it.

Recently you posted an publication in a thread, I also read that, and made notes on that, although though as an admittedly fallible human being, I have not posted back my feedback, due to time constrictions and my wish to make it substantive.

I have literally invested effort here, to find an approach, a mode of thought that makes an exhchange possible, all you give in reuturn is accusations of of spreading 'conspiracy theory' -- I am a female version of Alex Jones in your eyes.

Did you read the link I posted, I'll post it again.

Take it from the people who have experienced what you call 'life enhancing'.

I am at the end of my wits with you, I cannot escape the conclusion anymore that you are interested in nothing else than crushing and silencing differing lived experiences, that are divergent with your position.

Perhaps, in exchange for the fact that I went and bought that book you told me to read,

and did read it

(and yes I will in the same thread were you posted that other publication, post a photo where you can see the proof I did purchase it)

... perhaps I exchange for that, you can take FIVE MINUTES to consider for once, any lived experience differing from your perfect and universally enforcable total hegemonic truth.

Perhaps for once put in just that little bit of effort.

Ahhh, forget it.

You ever would, bwecause you already know everything. There's no other perspective that ever has to be considered at all.

Baracus feels like shit..... :( Blah !!
Someone please,please cheer me up with some juicy Crux pics..... ;)

You could try looking at threads and pages from way back, there are bound (bound gettit? No? I'll shall myself out later) to be loads of pics you have missed and some you have seen before but come with some sweet nostalgia.

Also Squirrel-Holding-the-Canadian-Flag.jpg Happy Canadian thanksgiving :D

Back
Top Bottom