The Slave Rags Fashion Mag

Go to CruxDreams.com
I do too, especially wearing the chiton.

Since you seem to know, is there a different name for something that uses the same sized fabric as the loincloth but worn as a skirt? Asking for a friend!
Sorry, I would not know. All this stuff is very modern for me and those Greek and Roman names were just of 'Minor' interest during my student times. I guess the loincloth in all its variants to wear it just had one single denotation, after all it really is nothing than a rectangular piece of cloth that you can wrap around yourself however you want ('bum rag? :)) .
But maybe some of the really knowledgable people here, like @Eulalia might know more.

So here you go:
Little wise-ass Ancilla will continue her explanations, but as a good girl she naturally observes the 5-per-day rule, with even one to spare, just to be on the save side, because she fears that her pretty little bum might get flogged.

View attachment 1312196View attachment 1312197View attachment 1312198View attachment 1312199
That's a delightful series, Zungur. As I've commented in Another Place - #4 especially shows how tuned-in you are to what it is makes girls like me dream of being slaves!

On the matter of 'tunics', I'd quote the Concise Oxford, sense 2 (sense 1 is the military shirt, a different kind of tunic) - 'a loose, sleeveless garment reaching to about the knees', i.e. like the nice brown one I'm wearing in my avatar, though well above my knees. Your #4 is essentially a tunic - and (as you say in the version you posted on DA) 'you have a belt, with which you can reduce length and increase sexiness, once daddy is out of sight'!

@Zungur I'll take the liberty of posting your 'expanded' version of #4:

slave_fashion_4_by_zungur.jpg

So here you go:
Little wise-ass Ancilla will continue her explanations, but as a good girl she naturally observes the 5-per-day rule, with even one to spare, just to be on the save side, because she fears that her pretty little bum might get flogged.

View attachment 1312197
Love this! But, being a pedantic little wise-ass slavegirl, subligaculum was originally a loincloth worn as underwear - from sub-ligere 'wind around under'. Femoralia (from femur, thigh) was used in later Latin for trunks.

is there a different name for something that uses the same sized fabric as the loincloth but worn as a skirt?
Good question. I don't think there was. I think something like lumbaria would have been used for a cloth wrapped around the loins, whether it was tucked under or hung loose as a skirt (I can only find later Latin lumbare, from when word-endings were changing).

That's a delightful series, Zungur. As I've commented in Another Place - #4 especially shows how tuned-in you are to what it is makes girls like me dream of being slaves!

On the matter of 'tunics', I'd quote the Concise Oxford, sense 2 (sense 1 is the military shirt, a different kind of tunic) - 'a loose, sleeveless garment reaching to about the knees', i.e. like the nice brown one I'm wearing in my avatar, though well above my knees. Your #4 is essentially a tunic - and (as you say in the version you posted on DA) 'you have a belt, with which you can reduce length and increase sexiness, once daddy is out of sight'!

@Zungur I'll take the liberty of posting your 'expanded' version of #4:

View attachment 1312349
I think here we rather see differences in research tradition and definitions in British and German historical sciences, than real differences in the use of words in antiquity.
And for those who are not familiar with the subject: no, in humanities and especially sciences (yes, sciences, not arts) English language and definitions are *not' the worldwide accepted standard as in technical stuff (which is called science in English). French, Italian and German are still no less important than English).
The world is complex!

Anyway: I am going to use what I learned (even so I was pasying very little attention then, because I always found female students of clasical culutre much more interesting than what the professors were blabbing about).
And you @Eulalia , you are most welcome to appear in the pictures and correct this cheeky little brat, Ancilla :)

Not to mention 'Sublicagulumslave'! :facepalm:

“Lumbariaslave” doesn’t quite have the same zing for me though?
Lumbariservus?
Love these! I think lumbus, lumbar- survives mostly in the lumbar regions where you get lumbago. But the origin of the 'lump words in the Germanic languages is obscure. I suppose our lumbar regions can get a bit lumpy!

Back
Top Bottom