Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
I'm happy to say I'm finally getting out there and attending some live music shows in the coming months. It will feel very, very good to do that again.

So I've been watching some live music videos the past few days, and I just stumbled upon this. I've never heard of the band. Nevertheless, I think this video should uplift most everyone here. Because in the middle of this show, you see, several young women from the audience happily came up onstage, removed their tops, and danced along with the band. And they had such a blast!

I'm happy to say I'm finally getting out there and attending some live music shows in the coming months. It will feel very, very good to do that again.

So I've been watching some live music videos the past few days, and I just stumbled upon this. I've never heard of the band. Nevertheless, I think this video should uplift most everyone here. Because in the middle of this show, you see, several young women from the audience happily came up onstage, removed their tops, and danced along with the band. And they had such a blast!

I have heard of them and they're pretty good (the audio quality of the video does not do them justice).
The lead singer id Taylor Momsen.
momsen1.jpg
She was an actress but quit to focus on her musical career. As a teen she was a regular on Gossip Girls (which I have never seen and cannot tell you anything about). But when she was younger, she was....are you ready for this....
Grinch-How-Grinch-Stole-Christmas.jpg
That's right. She was Cindy Lou Who opposite Jim Carrey in 2000's How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
She was about 7 then.
She's grown up a bit.
momsen2.jpg

How I love that mournful bagpipe band, marching by the sea. It can make me cry. :crybaby2:
yes, it makes my eyes wet (a change from other stuff on CF that has different hydraulic effects :) ) - I ken the place, they aren't actually at the Mull, they're over near Campbeltown, where the band and the bairns came from. It's not far from where I am as the eagle flies, a good sailing trip, a lot longer by road. You get some idea of the landscape of the coast of SW Scotland, it's very special to me.

Last edited:
Anyone for music videos or lyrics depicting/talking about crucifixion and torture? Might this group find it more uplifting than anyone else?

Examples:

I Exalt - Dialect
As one who often imagines myself as the one crucified, I often remember the sound of this artist screaming "Let me die!" - also a line often heard from the victims of torture.

Tool - Eulogy
This one has never had an official music video, and it's pretty old now - (25 years!) but I've felt this anger at the people who've hurt me. I'd highlight the lyrics at the very end, climaxing at minute 7:20 of an 8:26 minute song:
Come down
Get off your fucking cross
We need the fucking space to nail the next fool martyr
To ascend you must die
You must be crucified
For our sins and our lies
Goodbye

Robert Fayrfax, died 500 years ago today, 24th October 1521 ..

So beautiful! But speaking of death in an uplifting way, a [eom by Robert H. Smith:
The clock of life is wound but once
And no man has the power
To tell just where the hands will stop,
At late or early hour.
To lose one’s wealth is sad indeed,
To lose one’s health is more.
To lose one’s soul is such a loss
As no man can restore.
The present only is our own.
Live, love, toil with a will.
Place no faith in ‘tomorrow’
For the clock may then be still.

Prompted by @Peony 's use of the lovely language in her story
this song has become a sort of national anthem of the Gaelic-speaking Highlands and Islands,
there are some lovely recent recordings on YouTube, but this historic one has some pictures from a generation ago,
and English subtitles!

Just popping in to remind everyone that they are more than welcome to come out to the club and watch me dance. I will do my absolute best to uplift you with my wiggling hips. And for what it's worth, I find it very uplifting as well. :p

There is a story that at the end of the 16th century in the city of Unna in Westphalia during the plague epidemic, pastor and composer Philipp Nicolai wrote the book "Freudenspiegel des ewigen Lebens" (1599) [Mirror of joy of the eternal life], including a hymn "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme" [Awake, the voice is calling us]. According to legend, after this choral was performed in the church, no one else got sick or died of the plague in this city.
More than 120 years later, Johann Sebastian Bach wrote his sacred cantata "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme" (BWV 140) based on the hymn by Philipp Nicolai, and then a choral prelude with the same name (BWV 645).
According to some musical researchers, these three works have a special energy and are universal antidepressants in hard times.

459px-Freudenspiegel_deß_ewigen_Lebens_412.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I don't think Bach ever composed anything that isn't uplifting, for me at least, but that organ chorale prelude BWV645 is one that makes my heart leap up! It's one of the things that brings hope of light and life in this dark time of the year - roll on Advent! The tune is said to be based on a folk-dance, it certainly sounds like one, and blends so wonderfully with Nicolai's grand hymn.

Yes, I don't think Bach ever composed anything that isn't uplifting, for me at least, but that organ chorale prelude BWV645 is one that makes my heart leap up! It's one of the things that brings hope of light and life in this dark time of the year - roll on Advent! The tune is said to be based on a folk-dance, it certainly sounds like one, and blends so wonderfully with Nicolai's grand hymn.
And what an amazing intertwining of instrumental and vocal voices in the cantata BWV 140!

On the (sadly) only occasion I have toured London, I had to visit Westminster Abbey. Certainly, I had to view the stone in the middle of the main aisle of a namesake. There were so many others to see that I missed several that I now regret. However, I did not fail to pay homage in the south transept to the statue of George Frederic Handel. He merits a place among the other immortals there not only for his general genius but for his everlasting association with the place sealed by the four anthems written for the coronation of George II in the Abbey in 1727. The best known, 'Zadok the Priest', has been used at every coronation since then.
Handel is portrayed with the Larghetto, "I know that my Redeemer Liveth" from the score of the Messiah. His left index finger points upward as a symbol of the faith of that song. And also to draw the viewer's attention to the angel carved above at the top of the tomb, playing the harp. This brings to mind a most uplifting piece, Concerto in B-flat for harp, Op. 4, No. 6:

Nicanor Zabaleta, harp and the Paul Kuentz Chamber Orchestra conducted by Paul Kuentz, DGG 1967

Last edited:
Synchronicity, PrPr! I have literally just logged on here to post this, which I have been listening to on repeat for the last 24 hours!

Handel: As steals the morn (L'Allegro, HWV 55), Amanda Forsythe & Thomas Cooley, Voices of Music. The voices and the instruments join together so fantastically here!

A belated, uplifting offering for All Saints Day, when we honor all of our dear, departed who have gone on ahead of us, "For All the Saints."
Written as a processional hymn by the Anglican Bishop of Wakefield, William Walsham How. The hymn was first printed in Hymns for Saints' Days, and Other Hymns, by Earl Nelson, 1864, it was given a new tune with the publication of the English Hymnal in 1906. This hymnal used a new setting by Ralph Vaughan Williams which he called Sine Nomine ("without a name" - a subtle classical reference to a famous passage in Virgil's Aeneid.)

Back
Top Bottom