Amica

Go to CruxDreams.com
She gets a minor planet :D

495 Eulalia

Placed in the asteroid belt at the midspan (2,5 AU) from Mars (1.523679 AU) and Jupiter (5.204267 AU)!
The best place for a Greek scientist!

Discovered by Max Wolf
Discovery site Heidelberg
Discovery date October 25, 1902

Alternative names
1902 KG
Orbital characteristics
Epoch August 18, 2005 (JDCT 2453600.5)
Aphelion 2.810 AU
Perihelion 2.164 AU

Semi-major axis
2.487 AU
Eccentricity 0.130

Orbital period
3.922 a

Mean anomaly
81.126°
Inclination 2.280°

Longitude of ascending node
186.624°

Argument of perihelion
206.486°

Amica 29

No! No! No! I’m so shocked! It cannot be true! I have tears in my eyes - Lucius, Lucius throwing his slave girls into brothels to get rich! And everyone else turning a blind eye! Everyone bows to Lucius when he passes them on the street, everyone comes to his house when he throws a party! But what sort of people are they? And Eulalia? She sees all this and doesn’t rebel? She watches this show without batting an eyelid? I want to run away, fly away, but where would I go? I’d end up getting captured and brought back to Lucius and thrown like an animal into the brothel, selling my body for his wealth ...

I daren’t say a word, I dare not accuse Eulalia of indifference, I daren’t do anything, I'm just a slave, and as such I just do as I have to do, keep my head down, duck! I have tears in my eyes but I dare not cry, I obey Eulalia ...

'Come on, what are you doing? I told you that you have to go around the table with the edge of the triangle parallel to the line that I marked on the surface.'

'Forgive me Eulalia, I didn’t understand, I thought I had to keep it turned towards the centre of the table where the lamp is.'

'Oh no, that would prove nothing. If you keep facing the centre, nothing alters the situation, don't you see? If we keep tilting the peg that supports the ball, and we turn the triangle so that one side is always facing the same way as we turn the ball around on the peg, for part of the circuit the ball will hang towards the light, and the point representing where you used to live will always be lit, even when the others are in the shade and facing away from the light. In those places, it’s night-time, and, as you can see, for just under half of the circuit the point closest to the hole will stay lit, that’s where the sun never sets. Then, just past the line we have marked on the table, that is the line of the equinoxes, the situation is reversed, the ball will hang on the side opposite to the light, and the point closest to the hole remains in the shadow even though the others are facing the light and are illuminated as in the day-time, but in your land, the sun never rises.'

'But why should the earth revolve around the sun in this strange way. I didn’t realise that the earth moves. We’re standing here, it’s the sun that revolves around us - it’s smaller, so it’s the sun that has to go around where we are.'

'That's where you're mistaken, and where everyone else is mistaken. Aristarchus calculated that the sun is of enormous size, many times bigger than the earth. We think it’s small because it’s very far away. And he calculated that the distance to the sun is many times further than the moon. And the moon is smaller the earth.'

'I still don’t understand it at all - if the earth rotates by itself, and also revolves around the sun, why don’t we feel it turning? And why does it go around, wouldn’t it go straight ahead?'

'Oh Gods of Olympus! Oh Athena, Goddess of Wisdom! Getting this presumptuous little barbarian to think is like trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip! '

'Humph! Well, if you say so, it must be true! But do you really think you've proved that the earth rotates on its own axis, and it revolves around the sun, by making me do this dance around a table where there's a lamp and shining it on a ball of clay?'

'And do you think doing a dance around a fire and slaughtering piglets induces the gods to be benevolent? First we need to show that the gods exist! I pray to the goddess Athena as a symbol of intelligence, but I see that goddess hasn’t been so generous with you – it rather seems you’ve got your generous gifts from the goddess Venus – being beautiful but dumb!'

The sky is dark, ominous, livid clouds are blowing in from the sea across the land, Vesuvius is shrouded in black. The wind is rising, strengthening, tearing the leaves from the trees, thunder rumbles, lightning flashes. In no time all a furious storm strikes all along the coast, heavy rain and gusty wind tear at the vines on the peristyle, ripping branches, driving mud that washes into the house from the garden - it seems that the gods are angry at the insult they’ve suffered!

Lucius arrives just in time to shelter from the growing violence of the storm. Hailstones as big as walnuts are beating on the roof tiles, breaking the branches of the fruit trees in the orchard, mangling the foliage. I glance terrified towards Lucius, I look at Eulalia, I’m trembling with terror. I kneel down and pray to my goddess – will she still be willing to hear me? To accept my prayers? Or will she be so offended that she no longer wants to forgive us?

Attachments

• Amica 29.pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 11
Amica 29

No! No! No! I’m so shocked! It cannot be true! I have tears in my eyes - Lucius, Lucius throwing his slave girls into brothels to get rich! And everyone else turning a blind eye! Everyone bows to Lucius when he passes them on the street, everyone comes to his house when he throws a party! But what sort of people are they? And Eulalia? She sees all this and doesn’t rebel? She watches this show without batting an eyelid? I want to run away, fly away, but where would I go? I’d end up getting captured and brought back to Lucius and thrown like an animal into the brothel, selling my body for his wealth ...

I daren’t say a word, I dare not accuse Eulalia of indifference, I daren’t do anything, I'm just a slave, and as such I just do as I have to do, keep my head down, duck! I have tears in my eyes but I dare not cry, I obey Eulalia ...

'Come on, what are you doing? I told you that you have to go around the table with the edge of the triangle parallel to the line that I marked on the surface.'

'Forgive me Eulalia, I didn’t understand, I thought I had to keep it turned towards the centre of the table where the lamp is.'

'Oh no, that would prove nothing. If you keep facing the centre, nothing alters the situation, don't you see? If we keep tilting the peg that supports the ball, and we turn the triangle so that one side is always facing the same way as we turn the ball around on the peg, for part of the circuit the ball will hang towards the light, and the point representing where you used to live will always be lit, even when the others are in the shade and facing away from the light. In those places, it’s night-time, and, as you can see, for just under half of the circuit the point closest to the hole will stay lit, that’s where the sun never sets. Then, just past the line we have marked on the table, that is the line of the equinoxes, the situation is reversed, the ball will hang on the side opposite to the light, and the point closest to the hole remains in the shadow even though the others are facing the light and are illuminated as in the day-time, but in your land, the sun never rises.'

'But why should the earth revolve around the sun in this strange way. I didn’t realise that the earth moves. We’re standing here, it’s the sun that revolves around us - it’s smaller, so it’s the sun that has to go around where we are.'

'That's where you're mistaken, and where everyone else is mistaken. Aristarchus calculated that the sun is of enormous size, many times bigger than the earth. We think it’s small because it’s very far away. And he calculated that the distance to the sun is many times further than the moon. And the moon is smaller the earth.'

'I still don’t understand it at all - if the earth rotates by itself, and also revolves around the sun, why don’t we feel it turning? And why does it go around, wouldn’t it go straight ahead?'

'Oh Gods of Olympus! Oh Athena, Goddess of Wisdom! Getting this presumptuous little barbarian to think is like trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip! '

'Humph! Well, if you say so, it must be true! But do you really think you've proved that the earth rotates on its own axis, and it revolves around the sun, by making me do this dance around a table where there's a lamp and shining it on a ball of clay?'

'And do you think doing a dance around a fire and slaughtering piglets induces the gods to be benevolent? First we need to show that the gods exist! I pray to the goddess Athena as a symbol of intelligence, but I see that goddess hasn’t been so generous with you – it rather seems you’ve got your generous gifts from the goddess Venus – being beautiful but dumb!'

The sky is dark, ominous, livid clouds are blowing in from the sea across the land, Vesuvius is shrouded in black. The wind is rising, strengthening, tearing the leaves from the trees, thunder rumbles, lightning flashes. In no time all a furious storm strikes all along the coast, heavy rain and gusty wind tear at the vines on the peristyle, ripping branches, driving mud that washes into the house from the garden - it seems that the gods are angry at the insult they’ve suffered!

Lucius arrives just in time to shelter from the growing violence of the storm. Hailstones as big as walnuts are beating on the roof tiles, breaking the branches of the fruit trees in the orchard, mangling the foliage. I glance terrified towards Lucius, I look at Eulalia, I’m trembling with terror. I kneel down and pray to my goddess – will she still be willing to hear me? To accept my prayers? Or will she be so offended that she no longer wants to forgive us?

I love this line..........

Whatever are we to do with these presumptuous bumptious little barbarians?????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Amica 29

It seems our Eulalia has been hanging around too long with sly Greeks calling our own dear Minerva by her derivative Greek name, after all who first discovered the Olympian Gods?....well okay but apart from that what have the Greeks done for us?....Well okay apart from mathematics, rhetoric, hydrology, pretty boys, some really great myths, kicking Aeneas's lazy arse out of Troy so he had to come and help found Rome...What have the Greeks done for us...well okay but remember Rome kicked their arse in war :mad:

It seems our Eulalia has been hanging around too long with sly Greeks calling our own dear Minerva by her derivative Greek name, after all who first discovered the Olympian Gods?....well okay but apart from that what have the Greeks done for us?....Well okay apart from mathematics, rhetoric, hydrology, pretty boys, some really great myths, kicking Aeneas's lazy arse out of Troy so he had to come and help found Rome...What have the Greeks do for us...well okay but remember Rome kicked their arse in war :mad:

Well, let's see, more recently they have helped shake the economy just a little bit? :rolleyes:

But today's Greeks are T___s
Oooh! If that T means what I think it means, you better not say that to a Greek. Or an Ablanian. Or a Serbian. They're not too fond of the T's in the Balkins.
Even their cooking's aphelia! :p
"Aphaelia"?
I like Greek food.

Minerva started out as the Etruscan goddess Menrva, goddess of war, art, wisdom & health. Over time she adopted the attributes of Athena & became part of the Capitaline triumverate with Jupiter & Juno.

Back
Top Bottom