Barb goes BATS

Go to CruxDreams.com
Of course you would pick the most difficult one. why does that not surprise me? But, I'm up to the challenge. So, do we have a deal? No song until a firm commitment on your part. Getting umlauts right is a real bitch in Norrland.
Swedish is actually not all that difficult. There are a lot of cognitives cognates and they don’t the verb at the end of the sentence put.

Last edited:
Swedish is actually not all that difficult. There are a lot of cognitives and they don’t the verb at the end of the sentence put.
So, you claim to understand Swedish!?:facepalm:
A language no one understands and no one understands how the people who speak it, understand each other!:confundio1:
Is that the language, witches like you communicate with the devil?:smilie-devil:
One more proof of your guilt!:eek:

So, you claim to understand Swedish!?:facepalm:
A language no one understands and no one understands how the people who speak it, understand each other!:confundio1:
Is that the language, witches like you communicate with the devil?:smilie-devil:
One more proof of your guilt!:eek:
Ask the Danes or the Norskies if Swedish is really a language or just mindless gibber?

There are a lot of cognitives
Merriam Webster -
Definition of cognitive
1: of, relating to, being, or involving conscious intellectual activity (such as thinking, reasoning, or remembering)

What, pray tell, could that have to do with Swedes??

I know of (but wouldn't claim to know much of) cognitive linguistics, and I believe it's quite influential in Swedish university depts of linguistics (e.g. Uppsala), but I must admit I've not come across 'cognitives' as parts of a language, in the way Barb's used the word - I'd love to be enlightened!

Merriam Webster -
Definition of cognitive
1: of, relating to, being, or involving conscious intellectual activity (such as thinking, reasoning, or remembering)

What, pray tell, could that have to do with Swedes??
Okay, so I have a lot of issues with pushing buttons I shouldn’t, and with autocorrect on my iPhone. That was supposed to read “cognates”, not “cognitives”.

I know of (but wouldn't claim to know much of) cognitive linguistics, and I believe it's quite influential in Swedish university depts of linguistics (e.g. Uppsala), but I must admit I've not come across 'cognitives' as parts of a language, in the way Barb's used the word - I'd love to be enlightened!
Perhaps someone was talking of cognates? Can we blame the iPhone spell check again?

AUTOCORRECT!!! :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

But cognates of what? English words? Or in other Nordic languages?
English words. There are quite a few English words we have inherited from Scandinavian languages … e.g., knife from kniv, law from lag, etc.
Also from other Nordic languages. With good will Nordics can speak “Scandinavian” and understand one another … sometimes ;)

English words. There are quite a few English words we have inherited from Scandinavian languages … e.g., knife from kniv, law from lag, etc.
Oh yes, that's home territory for me. My only problem is, having some knowledge of Old Norse, when I go to Iceland, I can challenge anyone I meet to a duel, but have to think hard how to ask the way to the bathroom :)

Oh yes, that's home territory for me. My only problem is, having some knowledge of Old Norse, when I go to Iceland, I can challenge anyone I meet to a duel, but have to think hard how to ask the way to the bathroom :)
badrum in Swedish … another cognate. But, ja, those Icelanders can be that way.

All right! All right! Let's keep our eye on the ball here. The real topic is:

1) I agreed to:

Produce an illustrated song from a language passed down from the Vikings and thus comprised mostly of grunts, curses, and screams with a sparse sprinkling of intelligible words.

2) You, on the other hand, would merely have to agree to:

Sit down.

Last edited:
All right! All right! Let's keep our eye on the ball here. The real topic is:

1) I agreed to:

Produce an illustrated song from a language passed down from the Vikings and thus comprised mostly of grunts, curses, and screams with a sparse sprinkling of intelligible words.

2) You, on the other hand, would merely have to agree to:

Sit down.
Okey dokey :)

Back
Top Bottom