Excerpt from Missing Members - any news?

Go to CruxDreams.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes perfect sense to me.
Awesome. I'll update the board tonight.

Here's to ten years of Pip!
Thanks! And, circumstances permitting, many more. :)

I learned the other day that The GIMP recently celebrated 24 years. My first thought was, "Wouldn't that be nice for PiP."

Doesn't matter for me, because the IP address is straight up fictional and very real looking. Not the right city, not even the right continent, couldn't even hit me with a hundred nukes. But the real names associated with paypal accounts, that is worrying, but sadly they refuse to take bitcoin. :p
Yes, I can only repeat what I said above. Apart from the username and email given at registration, that's all we have. IPs can be some help in spotting industrial-scale spammers and other malicious goings-on. But I know my own are never close to where I really am, often laughably out (presumably databases used by my service provider). And nowadays there are so many ways of acquiring anonymised IPs, even if we wanted to (which we certainly don't), we wouldn't be able to find members' real locations.

Yes, I can only repeat what I said above. Apart from the username and email given at registration, that's all we have. IPs can be some help in spotting industrial-scale spammers and other malicious goings-on. But I know my own are never close to where I really am, often laughably out (presumably databases used by my service provider). And nowadays there are so many ways of acquiring anonymised IPs, even if we wanted to (which we certainly don't), we wouldn't be able to find members' real locations.
It's okay, because apparently my phone sometimes gives very accurate pings as to what cell tower I'm using, so unless I put it in the microwave, I'm cooked. :p

But having actually read the offending messages sent by the moderator on her way out, it's clear it was an attempt at sabotage.

But here's the thing Eul-there are 38k members, but the vast majority never post or post once in a blue moon. They don't have to be looked at because they don't cause any problems. How many frequent posters are there? A much smaller number, maybe several hundred? So, while the task isn't minimal, it also isn't impossible.

As for plagiarism, it's easily detected in a google search of a paragraph or 2. It literally took me 30 sec. That's a serious threat that all sites have to deal with. How many new stories appear/day here? Really only a few. Googling all of them is a few minute task. No hits and you move on...

There are only a few dozen no lifers, than probably hundreds of once-a-day checks, thousands of members who have posted more than ten times. and then a nameless mass of lurkers, audience members, and associated NORMIES. Like everything else, power laws apply. that contingent of no lifers will devour your time as a mod.

the vast majority never post or post once in a blue moon. They don't have to be looked at because they don't cause any problems.
Unfortunately they do need to be. 'Dormant data' can be vulnerable. I'll only say the last clause of our 'Code of Practice' isn't just virtue signalling. As has been said, nowhere on the internet is wholly safe, but I doubt there are many sites like ours where staff are so alert to anything that looks suspicious, and so determined in tracking it down and making sure everyone's as safe as possible.

But here's the thing Eul-there are 38k members, but the vast majority never post or post once in a blue moon. They don't have to be looked at because they don't cause any problems. How many frequent posters are there? A much smaller number, maybe several hundred? So, while the task isn't minimal, it also isn't impossible.

As for plagiarism, it's easily detected in a google search of a paragraph or 2. It literally took me 30 sec. That's a serious threat that all sites have to deal with. How many new stories appear/day here? Really only a few. Googling all of them is a few minute task. No hits and you move on...

There are only a few dozen no lifers, than probably hundreds of once-a-day checks, thousands of members who have posted more than ten times. and then a nameless mass of lurkers, audience members, and associated NORMIES. Like everything else, power laws apply. that contingent of no lifers will devour your time as a mod.
I agree with you, measured against the huge number of users, we are really only a few who are really active and who care about our forum. On the other hand, it took me almost 2 years when I registered until I posted the first time and there are certainly many who need a longer time.

Montycrusto can also be found on the Japanese site pixiv.net

Certainly, there were issues between him and the site moderators. There are two sides to every story and I don't doubt it could have been handled better by everyone involved, if not to keep him here, then at least to have made his departure smoother. I wouldn't hold out much hope for his return here, though.

I will add that the moderators are making a serious mistake not addressing this in an open and transparent fashion. Go ask anyone who does PR and they will tell you that.
Careful Windar ;) - the last time I requested transparency from a moderator I ended up getting banned for three months :(

Having said that, I agree with you 100%...

Transparency is vital in order to foster a friendly and respectful environment in any forum...

Sadly it's probably going to be another one of those unsolved mysteries...joining the likes of Elvis,Marilyn Monroe,JFK,Nessie,UFO's etc.....
And so begins the conspiracy theories :D...

I can already hazard a guess, based on my own experiences, but that's in the past now and there's nothing to be gained by going over old ground again...

There are a few different artists who have reached out to me elsewhere and have said that they don't feel safe posting in the forum right now, because they "cannot trust the moderators". This needs to be addressed so we can move on.
I can honestly say that in my ten years on this forum, all of the moderators have been kind, courteous and respecful towards me....

Well, except one, but i know I'm not the only member to have suffered at the hand of that particular individual :(

But all the others have been perfectly fine - with me, at least...

I can honestly say that in my ten years on this forum, all of the moderators have been kind, courteous and respecful towards me....

Well, except one, but i know I'm not the only member to have suffered at the hand of that particular individual :(

But all the others have been perfectly fine - with me, at least...
You'll be glad to know I told them as much. And I agree, Dark Princess!

Does anyone know what happened to Melissa?

She and I didn't always see eye-to-eye, but lately I thought that we were getting along fine. I also felt that she had made some progress in convincing and training members to take up less bandwidth with their posts.

If she was kicked out for some reason, that reason would be good to make public so others might avoid doing the same. If she withdrew on her own, then that would be good to know also so we don't speculate any more than necessary on the reason for her leaving .

Ooooohhh Boy, @poem21045 you wouldn't BELIEVE what kind of drama you are reawakening.
raw

Does anyone know what happened to Melissa?
She appears to not be on the forum anymore
She and I didn't always see eye-to-eye, but lately I thought that we were getting along fine. I also felt that she had made some progress in convincing and training members to take up less bandwidth with their posts.
I'm sure that her intentions were always coming from the right place, but sadly her tactics and treatment of general members often strayed into the realm of being a bully, which is why I think a lot of members (myself included) have had issues with her in the past. I firmly believe that moderators should offer help and support to those who make mistakes, rather than using strict punishment as the default option. If the transgressions continue then of course the response should be scaled up, but no forum can function properly if there is a toxic atmosphere between certain staff and the wider membership...
If she was kicked out for some reason, that reason would be good to make public so others might avoid doing the same. If she withdrew on her own, then that would be good to know also so we don't speculate any more than necessary on the reason for her leaving .
Again this goes back to the question of transparency, which I've always been 100% in favour of - secrecy breeds distrust and that leads to hostility, leading to a "them-and-us" situation, which is likely why we are seeing all this drama now. I don't know what went on behind the scenes and frankly it doesn't matter, but I do believe that there should be far more transparency between the staff and the general membership, in order to preserve the warm and friendly environment that has always made this forum such a great place to hang out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom