Random picture thread. (Real photos rather than AI please)

Go to CruxDreams.com
A friend of mine who's a soccer coach told me that few days ago.
It isn't the first time we were blamed for something that wasn't our fault.
On my side of the water, I've certainly never imagined that 'soccer' for British-style football was an American word, indeed I didn't know that it was at all familiar over there. The article is, I think, quite right, though I can trace the story a bit further back. The OED, in its original form as The New English Dictionary on Historical Principles, in a fascicle published in 1919, actually listed it as: 'socker colloq, Also soccer [f. Assoc., short for Association. Cf. RUGGER] The game of football as played under Association rules.' The earliest citation is from a letter to the Lock to Lock Times (whatever that might have been!) in 1891, describing someone as 'A sterling player and has the best interests of the "socker" game at heart'. That predates the earliest US record, mentioned in the article, from the NYT in 1905. It is an example of the English public school jargon, adding -er to short forms of words. In Scotland it's always fitba or similar, never soccer.

On my side of the water, I've certainly never imagined that 'soccer' for British-style football was an American word, indeed I didn't know that it was at all familiar over there. The article is, I think, quite right, though I can trace the story a bit further back. The OED, in its original form as The New English Dictionary on Historical Principles, in a fascicle published in 1919, actually listed it as: 'socker colloq, Also soccer [f. Assoc., short for Association. Cf. RUGGER] The game of football as played under Association rules.' The earliest citation is from a letter to the Lock to Lock Times (whatever that might have been!) in 1891, describing someone as 'A sterling player and has the best interests of the "socker" game at heart'. That predates the earliest US record, mentioned in the article, from the NYT in 1905. It is an example of the English public school jargon, adding -er to short forms of words. In Scotland it's always fitba or similar, never soccer.
Eulalia the scholar. :) A unique talent for a masochistic slave girl.

01-der-lava-ganz-nah--aetna-bietet-naturschauspiel--6307120546112-1.jpg Lava on Mount Etna (Sicily)
3d6d48de992ec6a39217f3e9028ba140.jpg reading girl
4bbfe87d537503a4ba8d5664b7ecf96f.jpg The navigation system: “Please turn around, please turn around, …”
4f51140edbd9ba3931c52ab739ced0e7.jpg A woman and her beloved horse
5d5eae9a8caf570abed1770a73ce6fe5a90edf24_1620.jpg Woman in an abandoned factory

Back
Top Bottom