The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I'm not at all doubting that the climate is changing ,
But, if you need of a hero to feel yourself concerned ...
I was concerned about the environment long before Greta came on the scene.

What people like Greta bring is a focus and an inspiration on a problem from the standpoint of a non-scientist. Throughout history, experts have always advised us, but experts are not always inspiring and can not always be inspirational leaders.

Her activism may not always be everyone's cup of tea. Activists seldom are. (I know; I was one during the Vietnam war.) Add to that the fact that Greta has Asperger's, which means she is largely incapable of filtering her thoughts in a more "polite" and socially acceptable manner, and you have a dedicated person who is going to grate on your nerves. (As a career high school teacher who taught countless Asperger Syndrome students. I might add that they were universally brilliant and had an energy other students lacked.)

For anyone who wishes to read more about her background and not judge her on what tRump says. . .

For anyone who wishes to read more about her background and not judge her on what tRump says. . .
In the very early 1970s I belonged to my high school's environment club. We recycled mostly glass bottles three times a year. I learned later they were paced in the school's dumpster.

Today I drink Seagram's from the 1.75 L bottle. It is a plastic bottle and no one wants to recycle it.

Where does this vast patch of floating plastic in the Pacific Ocean come from? It isn't cruise ships (well some) but mostly haulers of 'recycled' plastic. Go a couple hundred miles out and dump in international waters and it is cheaper than than hauling it to China who now doesn't want it!

In the very early 1970s I belonged to my high school's environment club. We recycled mostly glass bottles three times a year. I learned later they were paced in the school's dumpster.

Today I drink Seagram's from the 1.75 L bottle. It is a plastic bottle and no one wants to recycle it.

Where does this vast patch of floating plastic in the Pacific Ocean come from? It isn't cruise ships (well some) but mostly haulers of 'recycled' plastic. Go a couple hundred miles out and dump in international waters and it is cheaper than than hauling it to China who now doesn't want it!
In New York there is a deposit on soft drink, water and beer bottles and cans. They do get turned in, even for the nickel, if not by the purchaser then by people who collect them from roadsides to support themselves. They will likely soon be extended to wine. Glass and aluminum do get reused right here at home, though plastic is a problem for many reasons.

At a minimum these deposits figured in a classic Seinfeld episode, where Kramer and Newman realized that the deposit was $0.10 in Michigan vs $ 0.05 in New York and they filled Newman's mail truck with bottles and hit the road...

The bottle in the street , the bad blowing in the wind . Land based activity is 80 % of the reason it gets into the ocean . Storm sewers are the avenue . Look around if you pay attention you'll notice plastic debris is everywhere . https://wastelandrebel.com/en/how-on-earth-does-all-the-plastic-get-into-the-oceans/

At a minimum these deposits figured in a classic Seinfeld episode, where Kramer and Newman realized that the deposit was $0.10 in Michigan vs $ 0.05 in New York and they filled Newman's mail truck with bottles and hit the road...

Should I be revising my low opinion of Seinfeld? :rolleyes:

In New York there is a deposit on soft drink, water and beer bottles and cans. They do get turned in, even for the nickel, if not by the purchaser then by people who collect them from roadsides to support themselves. They will likely soon be extended to wine. Glass and aluminum do get reused right here at home, though plastic is a problem for many reasons.

Many years ago I went to the NASCAR Michigan 400 (then the 500) and went to by beer. With the ten cent per can deposit Busch beer was still cheaper than I could buy it in St. Louis. Seems I was in Schlitz country. Yes, we drank the case and bought another for the drive back home. I never got my deposits back!!!

Many years ago I went to the NASCAR Michigan 400 (then the 500) and went to by beer. With the ten cent per can deposit Busch beer was still cheaper than I could buy it in St. Louis. Seems I was in Schlitz country. Yes, we drank the case and bought another for the drive back home. I never got my deposits back!!!

Glad I wasn’t there :rolleyes:

I apologize for returning to an old topic but I've been away from my computer for a bit. As far as I'm aware nobody has been overtly rude to Greta Thunberg but have been justly pointing out those facts about her background that both she and her supporters might not wish to be widely know.

As to the discussion on climate - as someone has already pointed out, the climate of this planet has been changing for millions of years and unless some clown decides to blow it up, it will continue to change for millions more. The question facing us today is whether it is going to change drastically within the space of just a few years. What you believe to be the answer to that question depends on whether you prefer to swallow piece meal the pronouncements of people Greta or take the less trusting route and look for the evidence yourself. Either way, it is grossly unfair to call those who take an opposite view to yourself a 'denier'.

To this end, once more may I direct you to two web-sites where the facts are presented. Whether you accept them is down to you, but at least acknowledge that there are serious questions that need some discussion something which as yet Greta and her supporters are not inclined to do.

I apologize for returning to an old topic but I've been away from my computer for a bit. As far as I'm aware nobody has been overtly rude to Greta Thunberg but have been justly pointing out those facts about her background that both she and her supporters might not wish to be widely know.

As to the discussion on climate - as someone has already pointed out, the climate of this planet has been changing for millions of years and unless some clown decides to blow it up, it will continue to change for millions more. The question facing us today is whether it is going to change drastically within the space of just a few years. What you believe to be the answer to that question depends on whether you prefer to swallow piece meal the pronouncements of people Greta or take the less trusting route and look for the evidence yourself. Either way, it is grossly unfair to call those who take an opposite view to yourself a 'denier'.

To this end, once more may I direct you to two web-sites where the facts are presented. Whether you accept them is down to you, but at least acknowledge that there are serious questions that need some discussion something which as yet Greta and her supporters are not inclined to do.
We should finishing this discussion. It's not a topic for CF. And it divide us in believer and heretics.

Back
Top Bottom