The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
It is often played on the organ in ballparks. It is virtually unsingable because of the range of notes. Before a game in Baltimore, someone whistled it.
Yes, I find it a bit hard to imagine how it sounded roared out by drunks in the 'Anacreon' club. I think it may have been a musicians' drinking club, or at least that sort of customer, which might have helped. I've not found the original words.

This anthem reminds me of the first time I heard it on the radio in late 1969, played by Jimi Hendrix. I was only 14 years old at the time.
So happy 4th of July to all US Americans!

Yes, I find it a bit hard to imagine how it sounded roared out by drunks in the 'Anacreon' club. I think it may have been a musicians' drinking club, or at least that sort of customer, which might have helped. I've not found the original words.
The original:
Both songs are bad poetry shoehorned into a tune that they don't really fit. But, "To Anacreon in Heaven" lacks the awkward chord changes.

The original:
Both songs are bad poetry shoehorned into a tune that they don't really fit. But, "To Anacreon in Heaven" lacks the awkward chord changes.
Thanks, Naraku! Like 'Rule Britannia' and a great many other songs of the sort, it's a pretty good tune, but hard to fit to any passable attempt at English verse, patriotic or otherwise. I agree it's better without the throat-straining cadence that even trained singers can rarely sing without screeching.

Which one is the shining one?
I’ve been to both shores…it depends on what company is hired to dump the sewage at low tide.
I was infected with a bit of nasty when in college days at the shore amd a friend was sick after jumping in on the Cali side a few years later.
Although, the last time I was at the Atlantic coast, I saw a whale and two dolphins at the same time, so that’s encouraging.

Back
Top Bottom