The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I hadn't, but thanks for bringing him (Brendan Kavanagh) to my attention. He plays at St Pancras (the Eurostar terminal, so busy with tourists) Apparently he's been noticed by Taiwanese visitors, his videos have become very popular there, so much so that a group of mainland Chinese tried to bully him to stop playing. He responded with feisty demonstration of support for Taiwan:
With that Winnie-the-Pooh teddybear, he would get into trouble in the People's Republic of China!:facepalm:

With that Winnie-the-Pooh teddybear, he would get into trouble in the People's Republic of China!:facepalm:
Quite true, Pooh Bear has become a stock figure in Taiwan, and among dissidents in China, for Xi.

Or Apple. which is very hard to write malware for. And it almost never needs bug fixes because they engineer it right the first time.
I don’t think Apple software is special in that regard, but I do like iOS - I’m writing this on my iPad anyway. Linux is my main OS but iOS is what I use when I’m still in my bed. :)

https://interestingengineering.com/culture/drones-battle-against-acid-spitting-ants-in-australia Australia has enough crazy wildlife. Formic acid spitting ants is the latest horror looming
Everyone knows that humans make the biggest contribution to the destruction of ecosystems. But few people think about the fact that invasive species of animals also cause enormous damage. Although these species of animals, of course, were brought in from outside again, by humans...

Everyone knows that humans make the biggest contribution to the destruction of ecosystems. But few people think about the fact that invasive species of animals also cause enormous damage. Although these species of animals, of course, were brought in from outside again, by humans...
Somehow they don't know how they got to Australia. I find it hard to believe they weren't tracking anything coming in and out of the country

Somehow they don't know how they got to Australia. I find it hard to believe they weren't tracking anything coming in and out of the country

How does anything illegal get in? Australia is very hard on bringing in any organic material that could harbour insects, but if people are determined it will get in. You can't open and inspect every single shipment.

How does anything illegal get in? Australia is very hard on bringing in any organic material that could harbour insects, but if people are determined it will get in. You can't open and inspect every single shipment.
I guess creatures like this will just arrive as hitchhikers on cargo ships, once global shipping is established at a mass scale it's probably inevitable that they will show up.
Whether they can establish themselves will depend on climate and environment in the ports they arrive at and this species seems to be mostly restricted to the tropics.

luckily I guess their nutritional requirements are a lot higher than those of pharaoh ants, which also favor year-round high temperatures but have spread worldwide as building infestations since they can sustain themselves on next to nothing.

Its impossible to keep everything out, especially insects. Fire-ants or red imported fire ants (RIFA) are native to Amazonia. They are believed to have arrived in a shipment of goods from Brazil in Mobile, AL in the 1930s. They have now spread through out the southeastern US and have been reported in parts of the southwest.
In Australia, they are believed to have arrived aboard ship from the US in Brisbane sometime before 2001. That same year, a colony was found in New Zealand but was successfully eradicated.

Back
Top Bottom