Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
You are correct, George Martin and The Beatles spent most of their time and effort on the mono mixes. The stereo mix was kind of an afterthought. At the time most people heard their music on mono players. On some songs the difference in the mixes is amazing. For instance, the song Helter Skelter in mono is about a minute and a half shorter than the stereo version. In stereo, it fades out at the end and comes back with Ringo saying " I got blisters on my fingers". On the mono mix it just fades out, no "I got blisters on my fingers". Also some songs run at a faster pace.
What is really amazing is how much detail is in the mono mixes, they just rock!
Revolver, for example is a totally different album in mono. The same goes for Rubber Soul, Help and the first two albums.
Like I said, I plan on playing the mono albums most of the time, especially the albums up to Magical Mystery Tour.
I will continue to play the mono and the stereo versions of The Beatles (The White Album), since both versions are good.

Pp has only just discovered this thread. Music is a significant part of his life with all three sons in bands that are available on iTunes though he won't link for his privacy.
Growing up in the bush the only option available was that 2-for-1 genre that is country and western though with an Australian flavour.
As he got older he developed his taste for British rock based in the blues with the Stones, any band featuring Clapton (he has the Blind Faith LP with its controversial cover) along with Led Zepp, Deep Purple, The Who and even Black Sabbath. His first big live gig was Sabbath in 1974.
These days it is mostly blues though he still has many of his old LP's and he still regrets that someone never returned his Procol Harum "Whiter Shade of Pale" album.
He will look to post links to clips of his favourite stuff.

Pp has only just discovered this thread. Music is a significant part of his life with all three sons in bands that are available on iTunes though he won't link for his privacy.
Growing up in the bush the only option available was that 2-for-1 genre that is country and western though with an Australian flavour.
As he got older he developed his taste for British rock based in the blues with the Stones, any band featuring Clapton (he has the Blind Faith LP with its controversial cover) along with Led Zepp, Deep Purple, The Who and even Black Sabbath. His first big live gig was Sabbath in 1974.
These days it is mostly blues though he still has many of his old LP's and he still regrets that someone never returned his Procol Harum "Whiter Shade of Pale" album.
He will look to post links to clips of his favourite stuff.
Excellent post Pp!
I love all the bands you mentioned. I also have the Blind Faith album with the nude girl. I have been trying to get my hands on a clean copy of "Whiter Shade Of Pale" for several years. I keep finding worn out copies though:(

You are correct, George Martin and The Beatles spent most of their time and effort on the mono mixes. The stereo mix was kind of an afterthought. At the time most people heard their music on mono players. On some songs the difference in the mixes is amazing. For instance, the song Helter Skelter in mono is about a minute and a half shorter than the stereo version. In stereo, it fades out at the end and comes back with Ringo saying " I got blisters on my fingers". On the mono mix it just fades out, no "I got blisters on my fingers". Also some songs run at a faster pace.
What is really amazing is how much detail is in the mono mixes, they just rock!
Revolver, for example is a totally different album in mono. The same goes for Rubber Soul, Help and the first two albums.
Like I said, I plan on playing the mono albums most of the time, especially the albums up to Magical Mystery Tour.
I will continue to play the mono and the stereo versions of The Beatles (The White Album), since both versions are good.
Pp has a version of John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton and every track featured is in both mono and stereo. He hasn't played it in a while but will do so this evening to listen again to the differences.

Excellent post Pp!
I love all the bands you mentioned. I have been trying to get my hands on a clean copy of "Whiter Shade Of Pale" for several years. I keep finding worn out copies though:(
I had the US release LP from memory. It disappeared from my collection in 1979 or maybe 1980. I have a couple of spotters looking around 2nd hand record stores for me but no luck so far.

I still have my old Jethro Tull LP's too. And my Jimi H. And my Pink Floyd. Memories!

These days I do have electronic versions of almost everything.

I had the US release LP from memory. It disappeared from my collection in 1979 or maybe 1980. I have a couple of spotters looking around 2nd hand record stores for me but no luck so far.

I still have my old Jethro Tull LP's too. And my Jimi H. And my Pink Floyd. Memories!

These days I do have electronic versions of almost everything.
Nothing beats good old vinyl to me. I have so many I'm running out of room to store them. I have CD's, but they are not as fun as vinyl. I believe vinyl has more sex appeal. When I go to the local record store, I see a lot of younger people shopping for vinyl, most were born after albums disappeared in favour of CD's. I always like to see the younger generation enjoying the pleasues of vinyl.

Nothing beats good old vinyl to me. I have so many I'm running out of room to store them. I have CD's, but they are not as fun as vinyl. I believe vinyl has more sex appeal. When I go to the local record store, I see a lot of younger people shopping for vinyl, most were born after albums disappeared in favour of CD's. I always like to see the younger generation enjoying the pleasues of vinyl.

Yep. Pp loves the whole experience of vinyl. The album artwork, more artwork inside, pics of band, lyrics sometimes and the artwork of the record company in the middle of the LP.
Pp used to sit and watch the centre of anything under the old Vertigo label as it spun at 33 rpm....mesmerising! As good as a herbal cigarette though he doesn't know how it would compare to a Madam Wu.
image.jpg

Yep. Pp loves the whole experience of vinyl. The album artwork, more artwork inside, pics of band, lyrics sometimes and the artwork of the record company in the middle of the LP.
Pp used to sit and watch the centre of anything under the old Vertigo label as it spun at 33 rpm....mesmerising! As good as a herbal cigarette though he doesn't know how it would compare to a Madam Wu.
View attachment 187988
That is a cool label, I don't have any albums on that label, wish I did.
What is great, is that now is a great time to enjoy vinyl. There seems to be a renaissance of sorts, a lot of great re-issues are being released, on 180 gram vinyl, with original artwork, original inserts (posters, lyric sheets, etc.), original labels, and dead quite. For example, Neil Young has re-issues of his first 8 albums, all manufactured from the original analog master tapes, and they sound better than the originals released in the 70's.
New music is also being released on vinyl today. I have the latest Lady GaGa ( Artpop) on vinyl, the cover alone is worth getting in vinyl, a fantastic looking foil cover.
If you read my previous posts on this thread, you will see that I have a very eclectic taste in music. I do not believe in labeling music into categories, to me there is just two kinds of music, good and bad. I could listen in one evening to the following: Lady GaGa, followed by Siouxsie and the Banshees, Metallica, and the maybe Neil Young. Or it could be Joy Division, Laura Nyro, Deep Purple, Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, Alan Jackson, or maybe Jethro Tull.......all just great music to these ears:)

That is a cool label, I don't have any albums on that label, wish I did.
What is great, is that now is a great time to enjoy vinyl. There seems to be a renaissance of sorts, a lot of great re-issues are being released, on 180 gram vinyl, with original artwork, original inserts (posters, lyric sheets, etc.), original labels, and dead quite. For example, Neil Young has re-issues of his first 8 albums, all manufactured from the original analog master tapes, and they sound better than the originals released in the 70's.
New music is also being released on vinyl today. I have the latest Lady GaGa ( Artpop) on vinyl, the cover alone is worth getting in vinyl, a fantastic looking foil cover.
If you read my previous posts on this thread, you will see that I have a very eclectic taste in music. I do not believe in labeling music into categories, to me there is just two kinds of music, good and bad. I could listen in one evening to the following: Lady GaGa, followed by Siouxsie and the Banshees, Metallica, and the maybe Neil Young. Or it could be Joy Division, Laura Nyro, Deep Purple, Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, Alan Jackson, or maybe Jethro Tull.......all just great music to these ears:)
Pp does like Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters". All that Em and 6/8 time.

Excellent post Pp!
I love all the bands you mentioned. I also have the Blind Faith album with the nude girl. I have been trying to get my hands on a clean copy of "Whiter Shade Of Pale" for several years. I keep finding worn out copies though:(
One of the great things about vinyl was the album covers. Some real work went into them & some were as good - or better - than the music inside. A lot of that went away with CDs & downloads don't have covers at all.
Here's some info I found on the Blind Faith cover.
http://www.feelnumb.com/2011/07/17/the-young-girl-featured-on-the-blind-faith-album-cover/
blindfaith.jpg

One of the great things about vinyl was the album covers. Some real work went into them & some were as good - or better - than the music inside. A lot of that went away with CDs & downloads don't have covers at all.
Here's some info I found on the Blind Faith cover.
http://www.feelnumb.com/2011/07/17/the-young-girl-featured-on-the-blind-faith-album-cover/
View attachment 188147
It was probably the album artwork that pushed boundaries the furtherest. In this day and age they would have been prosecuted under child exploitation law in almost every country. We will never see the like of it again.

Sites like http://www.freecovers.net have album artwork that can be downloaded and incorporated into downloaded music in iTunes. The artwork happily appears on my phone, iPod and iPad and in the touch screen in the dash of my Toyota SUV so at least I can see it there.

It was probably the album artwork that pushed boundaries the furtherest. In this day and age they would have been prosecuted under child exploitation law in almost every country. We will never see the like of it again.

Sites like http://www.freecovers.net have album artwork that can be downloaded and incorporated into downloaded music in iTunes. The artwork happily appears on my phone, iPod and iPad and in the touch screen in the dash of my Toyota SUV so at least I can see it there.
Same here, I put the album cover on my downloaded music. The cover art is big with me, that is one reason I love vinyl albums.
Right now I am playing Yes "Yessongs", the tri-fold live album with the Roger Dean artwork.

It's hard to imagine the great art of a Yes Roger Dean cover transliterating to the small screen of a smart phone or MP3 player. Those great covers from Yes, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, et al, with their fold outs & pull outs & spinning wheels & liner notes just don't reproduce in small scale.
yessongsj_101b.jpg yessongs_inside_b.jpg

It's hard to imagine the great art of a Yes Roger Dean cover transliterating to the small screen of a smart phone or MP3 player. Those great covers from Yes, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, et al, with their fold outs & pull outs & spinning wheels & liner notes just don't reproduce in small scale.
View attachment 191117 View attachment 191118
They sure do not, that is why I still have my vinyl albums, and still buy them to this day. I have more analog than digital.

Two albums will be spun on the old turntable tonight. The first will be Renaissance "Ashes Are Burning" from 1973, and Renaissance " Scheherazade And Other Stories" from 1975. I found this band by just taking a chance on them, having never heard them before. This would be around 1976. I was looking over albums at the local record store, remember those? I just came across them in the "R" section of albums. The name "Renaissance" just raised my interest and I picked up the album "Ashes Are Burning" and just decided to buy it to check them out.

When I got home and put it on the turntable, I liked the instruments that opened the first song "Can You Understand". After about two and a half minutes into the song the vocals begin. I was not prepared for the absolutely beautiful voice of Annie Haslam's. She sounded like an angel. I sat totally enthralled through this album. I thought this was a great album until I came to the second to the last song on the album "At The Habour". I then realized this was not just a great album, this was one of those life changing albums. Annie's voice is stunning on this song. After all these years I still think this song is one of the most beautiful songs I have every heard in "Pop" music. I immediately saved my money and bought all their other albums. Needless to say "Ashes Are Burning" is my favorite album of theirs. Sometimes it is a good thing to just try something completely different. You never know what you might be missing.

"Scheherazade And Other Stories" is my second favotrite. This will be a great listening night. If you have never heard this band, go to YouTube and check them out. Annie Haslam has the most gorgeous voice in all of rock, hands down. A lot of the music press calls them "Prog", but I hate labels, to me they are just a great band:)
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Two albums will be spun on the old turntable tonight. The first will be Renaissance "Ashes Are Burning" from 1973, and Renaissance " Scheherazade And Other Stories" from 1975. I found this band by just taking a chance on them, having never heard them before. This would be around 1976. I was looking over albums at the local record store, remember those? I just came across them in the "R" section of albums. The name "Renaissance" just raised my interest and I picked up the album "Ashes Are Burning" and just decided to buy it to check them out.

When I got home and put it on the turntable, I liked the instruments that opened the first song "Can You Understand". After about two and a half minutes into the song the vocals begin. I was not prepared for the absolutely beautiful voice of Annie Haslam's. She sounded like an angel. I sat totally enthralled through this album. I thought this was a great album until I came to the second to the last song on the album "At The Habour". I then realized this was not just a great album, this was one of those life changing albums. Annie's voice is stunning on this song. After all these years I still think this song is one of the most beautiful songs I have every heard in "Pop" music. I immediately saved my money and bought all their other albums. Needless to say "Ashes Are Burning" is my favorite album of theirs. Sometimes it is a good thing to just try something completely different. You never know what you might be missing.

"Scheherazade And Other Stories" is my second favotrite. This will be a great listening night. If you have never heard this band, go to YouTube and check them out. Annie Haslam has the most gorgeous voice in all of rock, hands down. A lot of the music press calls them "Prog", but I hate labels, to me they are just a great band:)
View attachment 191379 View attachment 191380
Not a group Pp was familiar with at all. Will need to look them up.

I've been thinking, it would be fun to have the members who follow this thread, to make a list of their top 10 or 20 favorite albums. I have so many favorites that I had a hard time limiting my list to 20:devil:.
Here is my list. They are in no particular order, just a listing, except for the album that I have at number 1. This album is my absolute number one album, hands down, not even close, for personal reasons.
My top twenty favorite albums:
1. Joy Division "Closer"
2. The Doors "The Doors"
3. The Beatles "The Beatles" ( White Album)
4. Jimi Hendrix "Electric LadyLand"
5. R.E.M. "Murmur"
6. Joy Division "Unknown Pleasures"
7. Deep Purple "Made In Japan"
8. Siouxsie And The Banshees "Juju"
9. King Crimson "In The Court Of The Crimson King"
10. Laura Nyro "Eli And The Thirteenth Confession"
11. The Doors "LA Woman"
12. The Cure "Faith"
13. The Beatles "Revolver"
14. The Who "Live At Leeds"
15. Jethro Tull "Thick As A Brick"