My Favourite Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
Dug this up from my playlist because someone on Twitter requested pop/rock songs featuring a violin:

Nice post fallenmystic. When I want to listen to some rock with a violin, I usually turn to King Crimson circa 1972-74 when violinist David Cross was in the lineup. This is a wonderfully peaceful song from their album "Starless And Bible Black" called "Trio". It starts out very softly, then builds up. If you listen to it, give it a little time to build up, you won't be disappointed. I promise. It is a beautiful moment in time between great musicians.

Nice post fallenmystic. When I want to listen to some rock with a violin, I usually turn to King Crimson circa 1972-74 when violinist David Cross was in the lineup. This is a wonderfully peaceful song from their album "Starless And Bible Black" called "Trio". It starts out very softly, then builds up. If you listen to it, give it a little time to build up, you won't be disappointed. I promise. It is a beautiful moment in time between great musicians.

Nice choice there. Of course my own favourite Crimson song is their signature piece "In The Court Of The Crimson King", from their 1969 album of the same name;
This track is just immense (as is the whole album), and one of the early prog masterpieces. You can kind of hear some of the influence that came from the Moody Blues (often regarded as among the first proto-prog bands), especially from their iconic album "Days Of Future Passed" all over this album, though King Crimson brought a somewhat darker and more gritty vibe to the style, setting the stage for all the greatest prog bands to follow. This was their second album, and to my mind, still the best.

When I was a little kid (I was just 4 when this album came out), the cover used to scare the hell out of me :)

Nice choice there. Of course my own favourite Crimson song is their signature piece "In The Court Of The Crimson King", from their 1969 album of the same name;
This track is just immense (as is the whole album), and one of the early prog masterpieces. You can kind of hear some of the influence that came from the Moody Blues (often regarded as among the first proto-prog bands), especially from their iconic album "Days Of Future Passed" all over this album, though King Crimson brought a somewhat darker and more gritty vibe to the style, setting the stage for all the greatest prog bands to follow. This was their second album, and to my mind, still the best.

When I was a little kid (I was just 4 when this album came out), the cover used to scare the hell out of me :)
Nice post Darkprincess69. I agree with you about King Crimson having a darker vibe, I think that is what drew me to them:devil: Here's my discovery of the greatest Prog debut album. I was about 16 years old, and visiting the local record store as I often did. As I was going through the record bins, I came upon "In The Court Of The Crimson King", and was intrigued by the cover. I had never heard of King Crimson, but with a cover like that I figured the music had to be interesting. I was always looking for different music than most of my friends, so I bought it without knowing anything about the album. When I got home and dropped the needle on the first song, and "21st Century Schizoid Man" played its first notes, I knew I had found something special. I became a lifelong fan of King Crimson on that day. I saved my money so I could slowly buy the other albums they had released since "In The Court Of". I was too young when it was first released, so King Crimson had many albums to buy, I had some catching up to do.

To this day, even though I love Emerson, Lake & Palmer, I think the regal voice of Greg Lake is best on the first 2 Crimson albums. In fact, when he died, my tribute to his greatness was to play "In the Court Of The Crimson King" & "In The Wake Of Poseidon" albums.
These two songs are my favorites with Greg Lake. Play both LOUD

From "In The Court Of The Crimson King"
"Epitaph"

From the album "In The Wake Of Poseidon"
"In The Wake Of Poseidon"

Last edited:
In the last few years we have lost quite a number of great artists, many have been favorites of mine. Earlier this year, January 28 to be exact, was like a gut punch for me. On this day we lost Tom Verlaine. He was one of my all time favorite artists, his guitar playing was just unbelievable. I loved Television, but I really enjoyed his solo albums. They were of course littered with his amazing guitar skills, but the songs were interesting and quirky. I could listen to his albums for hours, and not get tired of them. Nobody else sounded like him, and with his quirkiness, it seemed like he kind of haunted his own albums.

These songs are among my favorites of his solo work.

The guitar on this one is awesome.

The Classic Rock Show channel just uploaded one of my favourite Deep Purple songs, so here it is:

I won't talk about why I love that channel when I don't usually listen to cover bands because I already mentioned it in another post.

I wish they had tried to replicate Richie Blackmore's classic Strat + Marshall tone but the cover is good enough for me as it is, and their playing is impeccable as always.

The Classic Rock Show channel just uploaded one of my favourite Deep Purple songs, so here it is:

I won't talk about why I love that channel when I don't usually listen to cover bands because I already mentioned it in another post.

I wish they had tried to replicate Richie Blackmore's classic Strat + Marshall tone but the cover is good enough for me as it is, and their playing is impeccable as always.
Nice post fallenmystic. I do love me some Deep Purple, I am a Purplehead, own every release they have, from all eras.
Nice to hear from someone who loves Burn. The album "Burn" was among one of the first albums I purchased. I had heard "Smoke On The Water" on the radio, but I ended up purchasing "Burn" when it was released instead. That was my entry into the world of Deep Purple. The whole album smokes, not a bad song on it. I happen to be in the minority among Purple fans who like MK3 Purple the best.

This is my favorite song from "Burn"after "Burn" of course.

Sail Away:

Many of you will be familiar with Finnish band Nightwish, They've been around since the late 90s and haven't released a bad record in all that time. I first discovered them in around 2003/2004 and have all their studio albums and a few of their live ones as well. I love all three eras of the band (The first stuff I heard was of course featuring lead singer Tarja Turunen, who was effectively dismissed from the band in 2005 after her husband, who was also her manager (but not the manager of the band itself) began driving a wedge between her and the rest of the band.

All those familiar with Nightwish will know about all the drama that went on, including the infamous open letter, and the angry backlash from the fans who were not aware of everything that had gone on leading up to it and the way that founding member Tuomas was demonised by the media (and even the Finnish prime minister!) to the point of attempted suicide. Thankfully he was able to exorcise his demons by putting his feelings into a song and with the support of his bandmates, especially Marko and Emppu and thus Nightwish were able to continue to make fabulous music to this day.

When Tarja responded to the open letter in one of her own, she claimed that her firing came as a complete shock, though I believe she was being a little disingenuous because she had already told the band that their next album would be the last one she would appear on, so with all the other drama going on, along with pressure from her husband to leave the band, it could hardly have been that much of a surprise.

Anyway, Tarja ended up being replaced with Swedish singer Anette Olzon , formerly of Alyson's Avenue in 2006, and she remained with the band until 2012, at which point it was becoming clear that Anette's view of the future direction for Nightwish did not mesh with that of the rest of the band, and eventually, Dutch singer Floor Jansen was brought in to replace her, and remains to this day.

All three singers are amazing, Tarja had that clear, classically inspired tone, whereas Anette's voice was more brittle and fragile, while Floor is an incredible all-rounder with a tremendous vocal range that stretches from deep, death-metal growling to an operatic soprano. She also has a hugely energetic stage presence and is not whe favourite of many fans, especially those who have only recently discovered the band.

As with many bands of this genre, they truly excel in a live setting. So much amazing music that it's very hard to pick a favourite - I can pick top 10 tracks from all eras, but if I had to pick one out of an incredible catalogue, it would have to be the live performance of "The Poet And The Pendulum" at Wembley Arena in 2015. This song is a hugely emotional piece that is known to bring many listeners to tears as it uncompromisingly tells the story of the schism with Tarja and Tuomas' deep drepression as a result of all the negative publicity that very much cast him as the villain.

This song originally appeard on 2006's "The Dark Passion Play" and was sung by Anette, though this live version features a truly spectacular impassioned performance by Floor that really gets under your skin.

In my own opinion, this song is Nightwish's magnum opus and although it is so powerfully emotional for many of the band members (especially Tuomas) - to the point that they no longer play it live, and probably never will again, to me it remains the absolute pinnacle of what is in itself a truly stunning catalogue. I can't listen to this song without having to wipe away the tears, and that seems to hold true for many others too - especially those who know the story behind it;

So get your tissues ready and enjoy this astonishing masterpiece;

Many of you will be familiar with Finnish band Nightwish, They've been around since the late 90s and haven't released a bad record in all that time. I first discovered them in around 2003/2004 and have all their studio albums and a few of their live ones as well. I love all three eras of the band (The first stuff I heard was of course featuring lead singer Tarja Turunen, who was effectively dismissed from the band in 2005 after her husband, who was also her manager (but not the manager of the band itself) began driving a wedge between her and the rest of the band.

All those familiar with Nightwish will know about all the drama that went on, including the infamous open letter, and the angry backlash from the fans who were not aware of everything that had gone on leading up to it and the way that founding member Tuomas was demonised by the media (and even the Finnish prime minister!) to the point of attempted suicide. Thankfully he was able to exorcise his demons by putting his feelings into a song and with the support of his bandmates, especially Marko and Emppu and thus Nightwish were able to continue to make fabulous music to this day.

When Tarja responded to the open letter in one of her own, she claimed that her firing came as a complete shock, though I believe she was being a little disingenuous because she had already told the band that their next album would be the last one she would appear on, so with all the other drama going on, along with pressure from her husband to leave the band, it could hardly have been that much of a surprise.

Anyway, Tarja ended up being replaced with Swedish singer Anette Olzon , formerly of Alyson's Avenue in 2006, and she remained with the band until 2012, at which point it was becoming clear that Anette's view of the future direction for Nightwish did not mesh with that of the rest of the band, and eventually, Dutch singer Floor Jansen was brought in to replace her, and remains to this day.

All three singers are amazing, Tarja had that clear, classically inspired tone, whereas Anette's voice was more brittle and fragile, while Floor is an incredible all-rounder with a tremendous vocal range that stretches from deep, death-metal growling to an operatic soprano. She also has a hugely energetic stage presence and is not whe favourite of many fans, especially those who have only recently discovered the band.

As with many bands of this genre, they truly excel in a live setting. So much amazing music that it's very hard to pick a favourite - I can pick top 10 tracks from all eras, but if I had to pick one out of an incredible catalogue, it would have to be the live performance of "The Poet And The Pendulum" at Wembley Arena in 2015. This song is a hugely emotional piece that is known to bring many listeners to tears as it uncompromisingly tells the story of the schism with Tarja and Tuomas' deep drepression as a result of all the negative publicity that very much cast him as the villain.

This song originally appeard on 2006's "The Dark Passion Play" and was sung by Anette, though this live version features a truly spectacular impassioned performance by Floor that really gets under your skin.

In my own opinion, this song is Nightwish's magnum opus and although it is so powerfully emotional for many of the band members (especially Tuomas) - to the point that they no longer play it live, and probably never will again, to me it remains the absolute pinnacle of what is in itself a truly stunning catalogue. I can't listen to this song without having to wipe away the tears, and that seems to hold true for many others too - especially those who know the story behind it;

So get your tissues ready and enjoy this astonishing masterpiece;

You wrote well! Nightwish is one of my favorite bands. But, unfortunately, in my opinion, now this group is in bad shape. Marco's departure greatly influenced the change in sound in a bad direction. As for Jansen, her vocal abilities, in my opinion, are greatly exaggerated. I know they are planning to release a new album next year, but I don't expect anything good from it...
I've written a lot of criticism, but that's only because I'm upset at how much this band has changed over the past few years. Of course, almost all musicians lose popularity over time; their new music is much weaker than at the beginning of their careers. But in general, I am a devoted fan)), I have been listening to most bands for quite a long time, and few have truly disappointed me in recent years.
This is the problem, that over the past few years, of the bands that I listen to, probably only two have seriously disappointed me - Nightwish and Within Temptation...

You wrote well! Nightwish is one of my favorite bands. But, unfortunately, in my opinion, now this group is in bad shape. Marco's departure greatly influenced the change in sound in a bad direction.
Yeah I won't argue with that. Marco is very conspicuous by his absence nowadays :(
As for Jansen, her vocal abilities, in my opinion, are greatly exaggerated. I know they are planning to release a new album next year, but I don't expect anything good from it...
Well I'll definitely buy it but I'm also not expecting anything that will match the previous albums
I've written a lot of criticism, but that's only because I'm upset at how much this band has changed over the past few years. Of course, almost all musicians lose popularity over time; their new music is much weaker than at the beginning of their careers. But in general, I am a devoted fan)), I have been listening to most bands for quite a long time, and few have truly disappointed me in recent years.
This is the problem, that over the past few years, of the bands that I listen to, probably only two have seriously disappointed me - Nightwish and Within Temptation...
Yeah I fully understand. I have to say that the last Nightwish album, Human II Nature is also not my favourite. I really like it a lot but it's not anything like as good as the earlier stuff. IMO, some of their best songwriting was during the Anette Olzen era, (Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum are among my favourites - that and Oceanborn which was the first one I heard back in the day, and still awesome) although Anette's vocal style didn't really fit well within the contect of the band as a whole.

Regardless of who the lead singer is though, I think that Marco leaving is a bigger thing, because he wasn't only a great bassist but he was also a great singer too, and he won't be easy to replace, and as with all bands that have been around a long time, you eventually get to the point where there's hardly any of the original members left, so at what point does it cease to be the same band?

Only Tuomas and Emppu are left now, so is it still really Nightwish?

I like to think so of course, but there's no doubt that their greatest days are now behind them - just like the rest of us I guess ;)

we can say that Nightwish is Tuomas: his operatic, philosophic, timburton-like high fantasy vision. Very unfortunate his apparent struggle with alcohol . There was an uplift trend up to Greatest Show on earth, we could see the evolution of a conception, in which the Human Nature did not make the next step, creativity was killed.

I hope Tuomas still have thing to tell us and he can express it i the future

Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum are among my favourites - that and Oceanborn which was the first one I heard back in the day, and still awesome
For me the best are Oceanborn and Once.
Only Tuomas and Emppu are left now, so is it still really Nightwish?
One of my favorite bands is Evanesence. Only Amy Lee remained from the original cast. But in my opinion, the group exists quite normally)
I would also like to add about Floor. In general, she is a good singer, but the problem is that even her image as part of Nightwish looks completely inorganic. In my opinion, with her appearance and image, it would be better to perform something heavier))

we can say that Nightwish is Tuomas: his operatic, philosophic, timburton-like high fantasy vision. Very unfortunate his apparent struggle with alcohol . There was an uplift trend up to Greatest Show on earth, we could see the evolution of a conception, in which the Human Nature did not make the next step, creativity was killed.

I hope Tuomas still have thing to tell us and he can express it i the future
In the first half of Nightwish's work, religious motifs often appeared. I am an atheist, but I have a calm attitude towards religious themes in music.
But when in 2015 it was announced that several albums would be released, let's say, of an atheistic-materialistic orientation, I became interested. Competent atheistic propaganda - I found it interesting. But when they came out... EFMB was good, but average, and I didn't like Human/Nature at all.
Here's a little paradox. Atheistic-evolutionary albums are not interesting. Albums with religious notes are almost masterpieces. Why?

In the first half of Nightwish's work, religious motifs often appeared. I am an atheist, but I have a calm attitude towards religious themes in music.
But when in 2015 it was announced that several albums would be released, let's say, of an atheistic-materialistic orientation, I became interested. Competent atheistic propaganda - I found it interesting. But when they came out... EFMB was good, but average, and I didn't like Human/Nature at all.
Here's a little paradox. Atheistic-evolutionary albums are not interesting. Albums with religious notes are almost masterpieces. Why?
for me bring magic to science and make it religious is quite interesting. Science itself does not give answer to meaning of life. With Nightwish it may.

Back
Top Bottom