My Favourite Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
Recently I was looking for something new. To my surprise, I discovered Villagers of Ionannina City live in Athens.
Fantastic Folkrock and best live music I've heard in years. Highly recommended.

OK here's a couple of songs that should fit nicely in here;

First up we have Swedish hard rockers Ghost with "Mary On A Cross";

And here's Powerwolf with the superb video for "Demons Are A Girls Best Friend"

Looks like they found the master tape of the Midnight Special's:
Oh yes I do love prog rock, having grown up listening to my dad's extensive prog record collection. Genesis were never my favourite prog band but this song is classic for a reason and it's great to see people starting to get back into prog again - there's so much amazing stuff out there, and not just the old stuff either - there are modern bands producing great prog to this day, though of course they get totally ignored by the mainstream music business that only wants to push mindless cookie-cutter crap at the tiktok audience.

Here's an absolute masterpiece from US prog maestros Dream Theater, performing what is, for me, their finest work, live at Radio City Music Hall, NYC in 2006

Complex, powerful multi-layered and enthralling musicianship - forget your 3-minute radio-friendly pap - this is real music, played by real musicians - if this doesn't give you goosebumps then I don't know what to tell you :)

Last edited:
I really don't get why this topic is in this forum?
Have a look at the opening posts - though the members who started it aren't around on the Forums any longer - but it was back in the darkest days of the Covid crisis, January 2021, people were desperate for anything that might cheer them up. But it does no harm, costs us nothing, helps a bit to keep the community together, but of course no-one has to watch it.

Oh yes I do love prog rock, having grown up listening to my dad's extensive prog record collection. Genesis were never my favourite prog band but this song is classic for a reason and it's great to see people starting to get back into prog again - there's so much amazing stuff out there, and not just the old stuff either - there are modern bands producing great prog to this day, though of course they get totally ignored by the mainstream music business that only wants to push mindless cookie-cutter crap at the tiktok audience.

Here's an absolute masterpiece from US prog maestros Dream Theater, performing what is, for me, their finest work, live at Radio City Music Hall, NYC in 2006

Complex, powerful multi-layered and enthralling musicianship - forget your 3-minute radio-friendly pap - this is real music, played by real musicians - if this doesn't give you goosebumps then I don't know what to tell you :)

I like Dream Theater but I didn't pay much attention to Genesis until I stumbled upon their 70s classics, "Foxtrot" and "Selling England by the Pound" albums.

I was a bit surprised by how progressive they sounded because I mostly remembered Phil Collins for his 80s pop hits. So, I'm slowly learning the rest of their discography and already found a gem like "The Lamia".

By the way, what you said of Dream Theater being "real musicians" interests me, especially because in a post right after mine that mentions Ren.

To me, the "real music" - in the opposite sense of those mass-produced as commodities - largely falls into two categories, those created by virtuosos sitting at the pinnacle of their musicianship, and those created by those who have a unique style and story which they strive to express in the medium of music.

It feels to me Dream Theater's music could be one of the better examples of the former while Ren's could be one of the latter.

Great post Hornet1ba. I really love Genesis with Peter Gabriel. Here is one of my favorite Genesis songs, The Knife.

I have been a fan of Genesis since the age of 15, the year Peter Gabriel left the band but thankfully he was not writing their music at the time so the following albums were great.
I lost interest when Steve Hackett also left the band.
But since then i learn to like their pop song,some are great and made them known to a more diverse audience.
I'm now discovering the music of their first lead guitar player Anthony Phillips that i just learn was a big influence on their early sound.
Such as this probably more than "4 chord" song:

I have been a fan of Genesis since the age of 15, the year Peter Gabriel left the band but thankfully he was not writing their music at the time so the following albums were great.
I lost interest when Steve Hackett also left the band.
But since then i learn to like their pop song,some are great and made them known to a more diverse audience.
I'm now discovering the music of their first lead guitar player Anthony Phillips that i just learn was a big influence on their early sound.
Such as this probably more than "4 chord" song:
Interesting that you brought up their first guitarist Anthony Phillips, since the song "The Knife" was on the album Trespass, which was his last. Trespass is their second album, and the last to feature him. Also, Phil Collins was not in the band at the time of Trespass, the drummer was John Mayhew. Trespass is an enjoyable album, but it is not as good as what followed ( Foxtrot ). Steve Hackett is a phenomenal guitarist, and a major contributor on the albums that feature him. His solo on the song “Firth of Fifth” from the album "Selling England By The Pound" is among the finest solos you will ever hear.

Dug this up from my playlist because someone on Twitter requested pop/rock songs featuring a violin:

Kansas are very much an underrated band, especially here in the UK where they never really gained much recognition at the time. In my opinion it was for two main reasons. Firstly, they were a couple of years late to the prog rock party, but I think the main reason is that prog was very much a British genre, and the scene was flooded with UK bands that always dominated the style, even in the US - bands like Genesis, ELP, Yes, Gentle Giant and so on, so the US bands, arriving later, were overshadowed by those that were already firmly established.

Kansas are great though, and Steve Walsh had an amazing voice, and I do feel that the band has suffered since his retirement in 2014, though they are still going to this day which is an achievement in itself, though without any of the original members of course.

My favourite Kansas song is Dust In The Wind, from the same album as Point Of Know Return (1977)

This is such a classic song that it's been covered by loads of other people, and my own favourite cover version is this one by the eternally gorgeous Sarah Brightman, recorded for her 1998 album "Eden". This is her performing it in Las Vegas as part of the Harem World Tour back in 2004;

Kansas are very much an underrated band, especially here in the UK where they never really gained much recognition at the time. In my opinion it was for two main reasons. Firstly, they were a couple of years late to the prog rock party, but I think the main reason is that prog was very much a British genre, and the scene was flooded with UK bands that always dominated the style, even in the US - bands like Genesis, ELP, Yes, Gentle Giant and so on, so the US bands, arriving later, were overshadowed by those that were already firmly established.

Kansas are great though, and Steve Walsh had an amazing voice, and I do feel that the band has suffered since his retirement in 2014, though they are still going to this day which is an achievement in itself, though without any of the original members of course.

My favourite Kansas song is Dust In The Wind, from the same album as Point Of Know Return (1977)

This is such a classic song that it's been covered by loads of other people, and my own favourite cover version is this one by the eternally gorgeous Sarah Brightman, recorded for her 1998 album "Eden". This is her performing it in Las Vegas as part of the Harem World Tour back in 2004;
A spot-on explanation, if I can judge with my limited knowledge of the genre :thumbsup:

By the way, I don't like Dust in The Wind that much. No, I mean I like the song but it's an equivalent of Mr. Big's "To Be With You" for Kansas.

Not that I know too many songs of Kansas, but it's with the songs like Point of No Return, or Song for America that the band earned a place in my favourite playlist.

So, I can't help but feel a bit annoyed whenever I meet a person who's heard of the band's name, or when I hear a radio DJ mentions them and it's 99% about that ballad song, Dust in the Wind.

Again, I don't mean it's not a great song. But there should be more than a few other musicians who could've written a lovely folk song like that, while something like this screams the band's identity which would be more difficult to imitate:

Back
Top Bottom