My Favourite Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
For Hallowe'en - or maybe All Souls (Nov. 2nd), the most spine-tingling music I know of is Purcell's setting of the Sentences* for the funeral of Queen Mary II in 1695.

Although Clare is undoubtedly Cambridge's prettiest College, and the choir aren't bad-looking, the close-ups are distracting - I recommend switching off the lights, and your screen if you can, and just listening ...

*from the Book of Common Prayer 1662: When they come to the grave, while the corpse is made ready to be laid into the earth, the Priest shall say, or the Priest and Clerks shall sing ...'

For Hallowe'en - or maybe All Souls (Nov. 2nd), the most spine-tingling music I know of is Purcell's setting of the Sentences* for the funeral of Queen Mary II in 1695.

Although Clare is undoubtedly Cambridge's prettiest College, and the choir aren't bad-looking, the close-ups are distracting - I recommend switching off the lights, and your screen if you can, and just listening ...

*from the Book of Common Prayer 1662: When they come to the grave, while the corpse is made ready to be laid into the earth, the Priest shall say, or the Priest and Clerks shall sing ...'

I loved this, thanks @Eulalia for sharing.

With our God-Emperor making his mighty Monty presence felt at https://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/being-a-god-emperor.10173/post-748031 I'm prompted to post this video of some amazing singing -

first, what's she singing about? Well, in a typically daft Handelian plot, Jove is lusting after Semele, disguised in his human form, but she's playing hard to get and tricks him into promising to give her whatever she asks, which of course he dumbly does. What she asks is to see him in his divine form (let's call it the Full Monty). He warns her that this isn't a good idea, but she's insistent:

of course she gets frizzled by a Jovian lightning bolt (much to Juno's satisfaction), but in the final scene she rises again like a phoenix, like you do if you're the heroine in Handel opera.

Last edited:
What she asks is to see him in his divine form (let's call it the Full Monty). He warns her that this isn't a good idea, but she's insistent.. of course she gets frizzled by a Jovian lightning bolt
Why do you think I have to wear this mask in my avatar? Don’t want to frizzle everyone with my Jovian thingumajigs! :p

i had many tastes but Disturbed are on my first place of bands
An excellent representative of alternative metal! I met this group after the release of Need for Speed: Most Wanted in 2005. Similarly, I met Static-X after the release of Need for Speed: Underground in 2003. Yes, at that time there was some quality gameplay in the Need for Speed series, and quality music. Not like now ... However, at that time listening to only one song somehow did not cause a desire to get acquainted with the work of this group. As a result, I started listening to Disturbed only in 2016. For me, this is one of the best representatives of American metal. True, their music, to be honest, is a bit of the same type, but this is more than compensated by the charisma of the vocalist, inventive guitar solos and high-quality lyrics.

I've always been a huge fan of Gary Numan, from his punk origins in his band Tubeway Army in the late 70s, to his pioneering work in bringing electronic music to the pop charts in the early 80s (although to refer to Numan's music as "synth pop" is to do him an enormous discredit - his work is far grittier and darker than that, being more akin to the prototypical gothic rock of bands like The Mission, Sisters Of Mercy, The Damned and so on), to his hauntingly powerful recent works. This guy has been producing great and affecting music for over 40 years and still sounds as fresh as ever.

We'll ignore the rather bleak decade following the release of the "Warriors" album in 1983 which was disappointing to many of his fans (myself included) at the time as it was very much a departure from the style that we all knew him for, though listening to that album today, I have found a new appreciation for it, until 1994 when "Pure" was released, being very much a magnificent return to form, with some powerful (and in some cases very personal) songs and the discovery of a uniquely distinctive style that remains to this day.

The album of his that I've been listening to the most recently is "Savage (Songs From A Broken World)", which released in 2017. There's not a single dud track on this CD, and this track, called "Broken" is my favourite of the bunch, showcasing not only his very distinctive, impassioned vocal style (which admittedly is very polarising - you either love it or hate it), but also his great arranging skills. With its 3-minute long instrumental intro, this track was never going to get any airplay but is widely regarded as being the best song on the album (not only by me, apparently)

With it's rich textures and somewhat middle-eastern vibe, this sounds like it belongs in a movie;

No actual video, sadly, just great musicianship and first class production

This one gives me goosebumps!

Back
Top Bottom