My Favourite Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
Last edited:
Well December is here already - wow that year went fast :eek:

Anyway this is the time of year when we all get to listen to traditional Christmas songs, so the one I remember singing when I was very young was Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer.

Unfortunately I don't have any videos of me singing this as a sprog :)

So instead here's Tarja Turunen who sings it WAY better than I ever did, proving once again that you can take the girl out of Nightwish, but you can never take Nightwish out of the girl :)

The 11-year-old girl front and centre of the choir is Tarja's daughter Naomi, looking adorably cute and eerily creepy at the same time

Pogues: Fairytale Of New York​

I love this group and I really enjoy listening to the Irish dialect. Thanks for publishing.

Appropriate for the time just before Christmas

Pogues: Fairytale Of New York​

The only song I knew of the band was their rendition of Eric Bogle's "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda", which happens to be one of my all-time favourite anti-war songs.

But thanks to you, now I can say I like The Pogues. Of many of my "favourite" bands, I only know a couple of their songs anyway.

I don't want to bring anyone's mood down but I can't but feel that the Christmas season is becoming ever more gloomy for me every year. And this year, in particular, I've been struggling to find energy to carry on.

This song, however, made me smile. It may not be sufficient to make me happy but it certainly managed to make it a bit more bearable.

Thanks! :)

Do you know June Tabor's version? I find it heartbreaking.

Yes. I think I watched most of the renditions of the song on YouTube - that was how I discovered The Pogues, by the way.

It's a nice version, but I prefer the original somehow. I suppose it could be because I always imagined it's sung by an old veteran himself who survived the carnage.

Guess no one wants to say "last christmas", because he fears that he would immediately crucified, but even more than this masterpiece of Wham, we here in german speaking world, see the movie "Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel" (Three hazelnuts for Cinderella), with the rather famous song, nicely interpreted by Ella Endlich

The theme to Chinatown, a classic take on revisionist film noir and with a soundtrack from the ever innovative Jerry Goldsmith.
The man on the horn is Uan Racey who was to the trumpet what Eric Clapton was to the guitar.
In a short time, the theme delivers on the nostalgia of the gumshoe films of the past, mystery and romance.
It is understatedly brilliant.

R.I.P. Shane MacGowan.:(

Continuing with the Celtic theme, something more traditional:
Maybe performed in 'Celtic' style, but let's credit Adolphe Adam, Cantique de Noël.

Last edited:
Quick question: Does anyone know when this became a Christmas song? I've heard it twice mixed in with the usual Xmas stuff in public places and my brother said he heard it on a radio station that was playing 24 Xmas songs the past few weeks. I know Mercedes is using it in one of their commercials with a Christmas theme, and it's a great song, but there's really nothing Christmas or even winter related about it.
I think the version I heard was the Michael Buble' one. But, we lost Tony Bennett last year, so this is a finale goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom