Random picture thread. (Real photos rather than AI please)

Go to CruxDreams.com
My dad was a navigator on a B-29. In his later years he got to take a flight on a B-17. He could not believe how cold and crude the B-17 was compared to his plane...
My neighbor across the street when I was growing up had bailed out of a B-24 and spent time in a POW camp in Germany.
My father spent his Army service in the Pacific. Spent time in Guadalcanal, the Philippines, and the occupation of Japan.

My father's brother was drafted into the air defense force in Cologne at the age of 17 and was captured in March 1945. He always said that they were treated very well and cared for very well during the 2 years as a POW in Texas.
The best story my father related from his time in Japan was when he and his fellow MP's were summoned to a disturbance at the local brothel.
Mama San told them exactly who the problem soldier was...."He sign guestbook!"
Every serviceman in there was "Chester Nimitz" or "William Halsey" or "Doug Mc Arthur".

My dad was a navigator on a B-29. In his later years he got to take a flight on a B-17. He could not believe how cold and crude the B-17 was compared to his plane...
The B-29 was state of the art at the time. Boeing had to expand to handle the production and they owned the Stearman plant in Wichita (aka plant #2). They broke ground for a huge expansion of Plant 2, and began moving in tooling and parts to build the 29 before construction was finished. This was also before all the flight testing of the prototypes was completed in Washington. It was a huge gamble for a complex aircraft that was full of new technology. Fortunately it worked out.

Yeah, there was no way I would be able to get my fat.. I mean stocky ass inside that ball turret. Good luck trying to get out of it in a hurry if things went to shit.
The B-24 was even worse. The ball turret had to be retracted for landing, and if it was damaged and the gunner unable to get out, he would be killed when the turret struck the ground.

My mother's brother-in-law was a tail gunner on a B-24 late in the war, and my grandmother's nephew was in the Battle of the Bulge. He survived but ended up with damage to his feet from frostbite.

I salute everyone.. man, woman, and child.. on both sides... who were involved in that awful war.

The B-24 was even worse. The ball turret had to be retracted for landing, and if it was damaged and the gunner unable to get out, he would be killed when the turret struck the ground.

My mother's brother-in-law was a tail gunner on a B-24 late in the war, and my grandmother's nephew was in the Battle of the Bulge. He survived but ended up with damage to his feet from frostbite.

I salute everyone.. man, woman, and child.. on both sides... who were involved in that awful war.
My father was "Specially Selected" to be in the Military Police. After basic training most of the companies were sent eventually to Europe. His company was selected for military police duty and the company was sent for MP training.
One other note. After doing some research on the previous owners of my house I found that a child of an owner died in France about a month after DDay. My office was probably his bedroom. RIP Harrell.
A cousin fought in Merrill's Marauders in Burma and ended up with a DSC, 2 Silver Stars, a Bronze Star, and 3 Purple Hearts.

Indeed so. People today are very quick to blame the military for the wars they are ordered to fight, but it is the politicians that start these thingsthat will ultimately be the death of us all, yet they never put themselves in the firing line :(

My grandmother had a Singer machine identical to this one.
1677792035853.png
Once you worked the treadle and got the flywheel spinning, it would keep running for a little while from the inertia. Being mechanically connected to the flywheel the treadle would keep going in its up & down motion. If you weren't careful, you could get your feet and toes under the edge of the treadle and have them rather painfully pinched or smashed.
Don't ask how I know that. :roto2palm:

Back
Top Bottom