My Favourite Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
Lovely! I sort of know them, got an early album somewhere, haven’t listened for a while, thanks for that DrkPrincess! It’s a cool, laid-back, stylish sound, they would make a great James Bond soundtrack. :doh: :p
Interesting that you should mention James Bond here - Quite a few music reviewers have made the same connection, particularly in relation to their first album "Felt Mountain" (still their best IMO, although 2015's "Tales Of Us" is a close second, though all of them are very good - no really bad efforts in their entire catalogue). Their style has varied over the years and they have refused to be pigeon-holed, much to the annoyance of many music journalists who love to slap labels on bands.

They're definitely in my top 5 favourite bands :)

BTW - "Strict Machine" makes a great soundtrack to a sex session :p

oh yesI used to listen to that a lot. I also liked the changing sound on the following albums but kind of lost track of them...
"Tales of Us" was actually 2013, not 2015 as I posted earlier :)
It's a great album too - Goldfrapp haven't produced a single dud, although in general I have a preference for the earlier ones. Black Cherry (2003) is great too. I prefer the more laid-back, sensual style to their more dance oriented releases such as 2005's "Supernature", which I guess is why I love Tales Of Us so much, as it's more of a return to that earlier style.

Although Supernature also has the beautiful "Time Out From This World", which is about as laid back and sensual as it gets :)

Oh thank God, I’ve been looking for this (ambient electronic) track since it was used recently in a BBC documentary called “The Art That Made Us”. I sort of knew it but couldn’t quite put a name to it. Leftfield. Of course….
Anyone else seeing gleaming spaceports and sleek rocket ships? No? Just me then. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Clementine Blue, who performs under the moniker "Tiger Lion" is a fairly recent discovery for me, and this song blew me away with its beauty and sensuality;

The death of Vangelis announced today reminded me of his incredible soundtrack for Blade Runner (1982). One of my most cherished and played CDs.. This song was not included in the movie, which is tragic, as more than anything else it communicates Rachel’s (and by extension, all the Replicants’ ) profound humanity: the central thematic paradox of the film. Still gives me goosebumps. :enamorado:

The death of Vangelis announced today reminded me of his incredible soundtrack for Blade Runner (1982). One of my most cherished and played CDs.. This song was not included in the movie, which is tragic, as more than anything else it communicates Rachel’s (and by extension, all the Replicants’ ) profound humanity: the central thematic paradox of the film. Still gives me goosebumps. :enamorado:
Rachel's Song is just so beautiful. Anybody who is not moved by this piece is simply not human...

The Bladerunner soundtrack as a whole is an absolute masterpiece. Although (as I've indicated in the "passings" thread), Heaven & Hell (1975) is my favourite Vangelis work, this soundtrack is without a doubt my second favourite and another one that I have in my music collection.

Vangelis brought to film a unique style that was unashamedly majestic and awe-inspiring in a way that no other film composer has ever managed to achieve. His astonishing assemblage of rich aural textures is second to none and the magnificence and splendour of his compositions that turn everything up to 11 have raised the bar to an almost unattainable level.

It's a very sad day that we have lost such an astounding talent, but we can all take solace and rejoice in the wonderful musical legacy that he has gifted to the world.

R.I.P. Vangelis 1943-2022

Andrew Fletcher has died. Terrible news... I only found out about it today. A permanent member of Depeche Mode from the very beginning of the group's existence. Apparently, he was a modest person, and against the background of the rest of the group, he seemed the most inconspicuous. But his contribution to the existence and creativity of Depeche Mode is undeniable. I was lucky enough to attend a Depeche Mode concert once, in 2014. It was an incredible sight. But unfortunately only once. And it won't be like before.
Rest in peace, Andy.

A scene from Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris when Chris watches a videotape made by his father and remembers the Earth, his childhood and home.

J.S. Bach - Choral Prelude "Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ" BWV 639 - Leo Van Doeselaar, Netherlands Bach Society.

Last edited:
Another accomplished musician to have sadly left us a few days ago is Alan White, former drummer with Yes, who he joined in 1972, replacing Bill Bruford. After bass player Chris Squire died in 2015, He became the longest serving member of Yes, appearing on no less than 20 studio albums (around 42 if you include those he made with other bands) over a period of almost half a century!

Born into a musical family in Pelton, County Durham in 1949, Alan began learning piano at age 6, before moving on to the drums at 12 years old. Later, at 13, he joined his first band, The Downbeats, who played cover versions of popular songs of the day in the local clubs, and would would later change their name to The Blue Chips in 1964, going on to win a band competition in London the same year. They were offered a recording contract and released a couple of singles, none of which charted and the band split up shortly afterwards.

Following this, Alan toured around Europe with Billy Fury & The Gamblers, and worked for a while as a session musician until 1969, when he received an invitation fron John Lennon to join his Plastic Ono band and actually played drums on John Lennon's "Imagine" - both the single and the album (1971)

Around the same time he also worked with a number of other musicians, including Ginger Baker and Steve Winward. At the time, he was living in Sussex, but to avoid commuting back and forth to London, he shared a flat with Eddy Offord, who was a producer and sound engineer with Yes, and that's how he came to join the band in 1972, and remained with the band until his death on 26th May 2022, aged 72

It's a shame that drummers never seem to get the same recognition as other band members - we all remember singers and guitarists, but rarely do we spare a thought for the guy sat at the back :(

Of course Alan White did gain recognition within the music industry as was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in 2017

Back
Top Bottom